Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 hammer with swept pipes and an S&S airbox. Had the bike flashed with the S&S download at dealer but she still is very ruff on start up till she gets warm. She also seems like she is running rich( black smoke on hard throttle) with the occasional backfire on roll off of throttle.My question is do I need a fuel controller and if so will I need to get reflashed to stock or can I just plug and play? Or do I need to look else where to solve this issue?Any help will be greatly appreciated cause I love this bike and I don't want to hurt the motor, I put her though enough pain trying to carry my big 6'5" 375 pound ass around so I need to make sure she is running right!! Thanks for any help at all my brothers!!!!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I guess you could look at the Powercommander III USB
Or, if you like full control over your fuel controller, allowing for adjustments on the side of the road - no tools, laptops, etc., you might want to consider Lloydz' Victory Fuel Controller, gen 3 (VFC-III), for $265. For your model year you will have to revert to the stock download prior to install.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks for the input bro. Unfortunately I have an 06with the open loop so the auto tune is not an option for me.
Actually you could use the PC V, the swept exhaust has a bung already welded to each pipe so you would have to buy two O2 sensors.

I had a 2007 with the power commander III and it still back fires on decel unless you hold the throttle slightly open. I have tried everything and it still pops on decel.

I believe for emissions and fuel economy Victory totally shuts off the fuel once you let go of the throttle so you get a lean condition and pop.

Make sure your idle is at 1,000 to 1,100 rpm this will be the best you can do.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Some users reported the following:

3. Tuning notes (Gathered from multiple site)

-If deceleration backfiring occurs after loading base maps and tuning-
"Try zeroing out your 0% and 2% columns, both in the AFR table and the main fuel table, then just set your idle AFR to 13.2 (0% at 750-1250rpm) only. I think the Autotune tries to lean out the 0% and 2% columns too much because most of the time spent there is decelerating."

·
Registered
263 Posts
Actually you could use the PC V, the swept exhaust has a bung already welded to each pipe so you would have to buy two O2 sensors.

I had a 2007 with the power commander III and it still back fires on decel unless you hold the throttle slightly open. I have tried everything and it still pops on decel.

I believe for emissions and fuel economy Victory totally shuts off the fuel once you let go of the throttle so you get a lean condition and pop.

Make sure your idle is at 1,000 to 1,100 rpm this will be the best you can do.
I'm not so sure about the PCV and Autotune on an open loop system. Even if the pipes have a bunghole, I doubt the bike's ECM is setup to monitor and adjust the fuel feed based on the O2 readings. Obviously the PCV and AT are capable of that, but would they do it even if the ECM doesn't, or is their operation predicated on the ECM's mapping logic? Good question. If it does, then that means you could turn an open loop system into a closed loop just by adding a PCV and AT.

As far as decel popping, I fixed mine by slightly increasing the numbers in the fuel table (NOT the AFR table) at the 0% throttle position in the 750 - 1750 range. When you decelerate you don't immediately return to idle rpm as detected by the ECM and PCV, and it's in that range where the popping occurs. Just make sure you don't enter any AFR values in those columns as that would calculate a new trim number which would eventually overwrite your fuel table entries when you applied them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a 06 And have the s&s air box & download My bike has never run better Is it possible the download did not take ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts