Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I know our bikes are know for running a bit lean especially with stage 1 upgrade. I have Swepts and the Stage 1 with K&N Filter.
I asked before if I pulled the stock swept baffles and put in RPW baffles would it run too lean. I had a few replies saying that the Stage 1 tune was barely enough to keep up.

The thing is that I pulled the O2's out of my bike and they are really black. The ends of the pipes are quite black and sooty too.

From the pics would you not say my bike is actually running rich?

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
What do your spark plugs look like?
Looking at the O2 sensors may have some merit, but spark plugs tell the story of what is happening inside. Unleaded fuel has a reputation of leaving soot deposits even if everything is in proper order.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
O2 s and tailpipes are going to be black , its due to crap we get for gas nowdays. check your plugs after doing plug chops , that will tell.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
That's rich

That o2 sensor has been in a rich mixture.

Where it is rich I couldn't say. If you had pulled those out after running 100mph for a mile at full throttle and they were that cold then I'd say you have a problem. However if the bike had been idling or running very slowly for a couple of blocks and then idling it would mean that you are rich in your very low speed cells of your fuel map.
For what that is worth...
If the motor had not reached operating temperature before it was shut off it would not indicate as rich a condition as if it had been at operating temperature.

But to answer your question yes that is what rich looks like.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
O2 s and tailpipes are going to be black , its due to crap we get for gas nowdays. check your plugs after doing plug chops , that will tell.

Agrees..the spark plugs tell the story of whats happening inside the combution chamber...those 02 sensors are downstream in the sooty exhaust pipes...No indication whatsover

·
Registered
403 Posts
A Victory without a fuel controller will run extremely lean at cruise, and very rich at high throttle/load conditions. So the answer to "Running Rich" is both yes and no.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
A Victory without a fuel controller will run extremely lean at cruise, and very rich at high throttle/load conditions. So the answer to "Running Rich" is both yes and no.

this statement to me is why a pcv or the new vfc4 is the way to go

·
Administrator
5,974 Posts
this statement to me is why a pcv or the new vfc4 is the way to go
Yea, the biggest change I noticed in going from the Cobra Fi2000 to VFC4 was the WOT part. It makes sense that I was running too rich before at WOT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts