Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I changed the oil, plugs, and a k&n drop in filter to get the bike ready for summer, and since then the bike continuously seems to hate running while cold more and more. I hate letting the bike sit in front of the house warming up especially during the early mornings due to the (unknown brand) of slip-ons that im sure are much louder than the neighbors appreciate.

When cold:
Rough idle, jerkiness, once in a while stall, backfiring.

When warm; bike runs fine minus occasional backfire.

Any ideas what would cause all this?

·
13,002 Posts
Not sure why when cold its running rough and hot its ok.
Check your plug wires at coil and at plugs. Make sure there on all the way.
Check for a vacuum leaks.
Tells us more

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Make sure your battery is a good one and fully charged
Be sure battery connections are as tight as possible
Check your plugs and make sure you have the proper gap , and that the porcelain is not cracked
Make sure your are using the correct plug #
Check spark plug wires , sometimes removing them may cause a bad connection at the metal clip that actually attaches to the plug , be sure they are secure
Be sure you didn't inadvertently disconnect any vacuum hoses , or tweak anything that may have caused a vacuum leak
If it was running fine before you did what you did , there in lies the rub
Good luckthumb up
cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After about 9 hours of sitting battery was still at 12.98v.
oil is right at full line.
Couldnt hear or feel any vacuum leak but havent removed the tank yet but this seems like my best bet.
Also i increased idle to 1000 but didnt help.
Both plugs did have a slight black dusting around the electrode i assume this is normal? All else was tight and appeared fine

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could the new filter have made the already lean issue this much more noticable particularly when cold? Might be looking at lloydz tuner sooner than i thought

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts
Could the new filter have made the already lean issue this much more noticable particularly when cold? Might be looking at lloydz tuner sooner than i thought
I would have to think just a filter wouldn't do that unless you were right on the edge. Do you have the reflash with the aftermarket exhaust? Put the old filter back in and see.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
If it was the K&N with a new vented side cover then that's your problem. Put the original side cover back on leave the K&N in and it should solve it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its just a k&n rectangle filter inside the factory air box, not a side mount. I no longer have the original filter.

Also, when I bought the bike it already had the slip ons, which was the only mod. Dont believe its been tuned. I would simply get a tuner, but i dont want to dump fuel etc if that isnt the root cause

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Your engine will run richer when its cold , lean doesn't sound like your issue ......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got a full tank of gas to burn off - then this weekend i'll get the tank out of the way and hopefully something stands out. Thanks for all the quick replies guys I'll be sure to report back with any findings. If you can think up anything else before then, throw it my direction! cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey 06Hammering,

Did you get this figured out? I have a similar issue.

Well, not backfiring, but idling way too low in my opinion and my neighbors don't appreciate me letting it idle so long to warm up either!

07 Vegas

I was wondering about the plug wires

I have one plug has a chalky white residue over it on the outside at the base of the plug and it NOT being from water - would you suspect that the plug wire could be arching inside there causing that? Just a thought.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think you're just being anal now that you did a tune up because you expected it to miraculously run better, and its probably running the same so you're just being overly critical. Thats part of being a gearhead and being in tune with your bike. thumb up I'm in the same boat as you and i'll be installing the PC3 and S&S airbox next week. I'll also be cleaning the throttle bodies because i bet that's the culprit to why its takes my engine a while to smooth out. For the small camshafts in these motors i'm surprised how long they do take to idle smooth, maybe its the dual throttle bodies and separate runners. Anyways, when you get that tank off take pictures of before and after. I'm curious to see how gummed up they were cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just to give you guys an update, I took the tank off to clean the throttle bodies and they were absolutely filthy!

It seems that the previous owner who installed the K&N filter installed the filter with it extremely oily. If I remember correctly you were supposed to let the filter set on a paper towel or something to let it absorb the excess oil.

Once I took some cleaner and a toothbrush and a rag to the throttle bodies and put it back together it runs like a whole new bike! I did adjust the throttle screw a hair and now it's perfect! No throttle issues and my adjustment lever works as it should as well.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
2006 has a fast idle lever on the left bar... use it.
Turn bars to the left, pull fast idle lever toward you, start engine. Adjust to 1250 rpm and let it run a few minutes.
Clean the throttle bodies. This will make it idle higher and better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts