Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, have yet another question. I'm trying to run the throttle cables through my handlebars and the slot at the top of the handle bars will not allow the plastic pieces at the top end of the throttle cables to go through. So, I need to remove those pieces in order to thread the throttle cables. Unfortunately, it appears the only way I can get those plastic pieces off is to cut the little barrel end off the end of the cable.

So, my question is, can I cut that end off and then safely add another one onto to the end after I've threaded the throttle cables through? If so, how would I do that? Is there a tool to use? If so, where would I get such a tool and where would I get the barrel ends?

As always, thanks for the pointers.

Pic attached of what I'm referring to.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Unless it's a full on custom I don't ever see throttle cables ran in bars. HDs run many of their cable in-bar, but not throttle cables. Having the switch wiring (turn sigs, cruise, audio, cruise etc) in the bars would clean it up nicely. Clutch, brake, throttle in bar would be a massive PITA (if even possible)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, and I thought this was going to be easy. Seems like a waste just to run electrical through the handlebars. I figured everything would go through there. Sounds like doing it that way is pretty damn complicated. Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?
Look at it this way..... Most custom builds that have internal throttle cables have minimal electrical on the switch housings. You have a XC and a LOT of wires coming from the switch housings. If you start trying to run wires and cables inside, I suspect reliability issues will arise. Look at some of the pics around where folks ran the wires inside and put on the nice stainless cables and brake hose. It has a real clean look to it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Water supply tubing from ice maker in handle bar first. Switch to internal throttle at the end of handlebar (same could be done to clutch theoretically). Single throttle cable instead of double. Spring the throttle body for return. Run piano wire through tube. Just a thought.... Good luck with custom.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
459 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
It'll would RK it's just not that easy. There are a number of internal throttle kits out there on the market. They usually eliminate the return cable, if there is one on a Vic. Newer HD's have throttle by wire so it makes it much easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts