Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

For starters, I ride most days of the year which means my bike often gets caught in the Florida rain. After a rain, I get several rust spots from rusty water dripping from underneath the handlebars. The rusty water drips from the hole used to sure the plastic harness clip (pictures below).

Today I removed the right grip and found a lot of surface rust on the inside of the bars and also on the outside (the throttle grip started squeaking today as I, uh, rapidly activated the right grip, which prompted me to investigate).

Has anyone else had this problem? Also looking for good ideas to fix this problem (other than not riding in the threat of rain). I can knock off the rust but only about 6 inches into the right handlebar. I suspect the rust extends much further.

Thank you in advance, and all input & ideas are very welcomed

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
681 Posts
That's kinda shitty. I wish I had some kind of answer on how to fix that, all I got is if you were wanting new bars, there's your excuse lol

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Man that sucks! I am restoring an old 73 Kawasaki Enduro that was a rolling tetanus nightmare but the handlebars on that 43 year old bike were still nice and shiny under the grips, controls, etc. Looks like Polaris found another part to cheap out on.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Man that sucks! I am restoring an old 73 Kawasaki Enduro that was a rolling tetanus nightmare but the handlebars on that 43 year old bike were still nice and shiny under the grips, controls, etc. Looks like Polaris found another part to cheap out on.
Doesn't surprise me. I replace my handlebar tips and I saw rust in. There. It didn't run out like yours did but it's in there. Since it is not sealed , rust will develop.
One thing I noticed online was that the left tip is much looser than the right tip. Even the original was that way. The tip would start working its way out and I would have to hit you it with my palm to put it back. So if the parts were identical that means the openings are different sizes. I really don't want to put silicon in there to hold them becuase if I ever want to take them off it will be a pain, but if it keeps happening I will have to.

·
Premium Member
6,075 Posts
Can't help but thanks for posting .... Yup VIC again ....

While I get caught in rain too, my stock chrome ( maybe stainless ) do not rust ...

Maybe only the black handlebars ??

Could you take them off and just close all the holes and poor some anti-rust paint in them and let it dry ??

Beats buying new ones ??

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum

·
Registered
632 Posts
Clean it up... run a shot of Wd40 down there...Button it up and ride on...
You ride in rain.. [I do] Things get wet... Been there' still get wet...:smile

·
13,003 Posts
thats a lot of rust running out. Do you power wash the bike.
not much you can do other then give both ends a shot of something.

·
Registered
280 Posts
factory should have done it, but then they would have jacked you for the cost anyway so I guess, when you find a problem they didn't deal with, fix it yourself.

I would (and will) personally take my handle bars off and treat them with a rust encapsulating converter or acid etch on the inside (kind of like how you would treat a gas tank, seal one end pour in liquid swish all about, let dry, re-install) so as to stop not only the rust staining drips, but also to stop corrosion from ruining your bars way before their time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats a lot of rust running out. Do you power wash the bike.
not much you can do other then give both ends a shot of something.
I don't power wash the bike but Mother Nature Florida sure does

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Using a coat hanger, sandpaper and a drill, I sanded the rust down to just below the clip where the rusty water was running out. Looks good now, shiny. Then I sprayed a rust preventative down the tube. I think I got about 30% of the inside and hopefully the worst of it.

It's not a permanent fix, but I think it will reduce the problem. I'll tear it all the way down eventually and treat the left side......or replace the bars entirely :grin

I'll let you know if this worked!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts