Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rust stains running down my jugs from the spark plugs. I have replaced the rusty spark plugs with new but haven't been able to wash away the rust stains from the old plugs.

Would you folks give me some advice on what product to use and the technic to use that will remove the rust stains but not damage the finish on the fins on the jugs?

Thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would try a good metal polish in a small spot then work to larger area. I used it on my heat shields when I melted a towel to them when they were too hot. worked well and didn't scratch anything. You could also try some CLR on a Qtip and clean each fin that way. Let us know how they come out if you could.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The thing that bothers me is I am dealing with two different types of finish. The clear metal on the edge of the fins and the black, textured, (powder coat?) on the inner fins.

I can't use any abrasiveness or steel wool on that textured black finish they would just shred.

I believe the clear edges of the fins are clear coated just to make things even more interesting.

I tried just spraying WD-40 on the stains but that did not work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same issue.

I lightly dampened a new micro fiber towel with CLR rust remover (stolen from my wife's kitchen). Wiped the areas clean with a slight amount of elbow grease and then liberally rinsed the entire area with detail spray to remove any CLR residue that may have remained. I also use the same process to clean the exposed metal portions of the jug fins using a green scotch brite pad.

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
I use a citric acid solution to clean rust from cooling systems also bike tanks, well anything really.
Its in powder form in cooking section of supermarkets, mix with hot water for cooling systems, or with vinegar for fuel tanks, panel steel etc.
You could even try just white vinegar on a rag on your cylinders.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the same issue.

I lightly dampened a new micro fiber towel with CLR rust remover (stolen from my wife's kitchen). Wiped the areas clean with a slight amount of elbow grease and then liberally rinsed the entire area with detail spray to remove any CLR residue that may have remained. I also use the same process to clean the exposed metal portions of the jug fins using a green scotch brite pad.
Was that on the black, textured surfaces between the clear fins?

Thanks.

·
13,003 Posts
pull your new plugs and put a light light coat of antiseize on the base where the wrench goes

·
Premium Member
6,075 Posts
OK Richie, all solutions has been given,

How to prevent this happening again .... After washing your bike, please AIRBLOW all the water off, this include the spark-hole .... Then you will not have a problem any more ...

Sent from my A51w using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,205 Posts
+1 what BR6666VR said. After a very rare hose wash, I blow dry the engine and especially the plug recesses with a leaf blower or air from my compressor. Next time you pull the plugs, apply a LITTLE anti seize to the threads and the porcelain for easier removal.

·
Premium Member
6,075 Posts
I do not use ani seize on engine parts ... It is abrasive, so I use
VASELINE

if any thing comes into the engine then it would not damage by abrasive

PS just wondering .... On my Jap bikes there's a hole for (rain / wash) water to get out of the spark hole ...

Do HD have this ?
Obviously VIC does not ...

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
PS just wondering .... On my Jap bikes there's a hole for (rain / wash) water to get out of the spark hole ...

Do HD have this ?
Obviously VIC does not ...

I don't think HD needs one because of the fin layout around the plug but it sounds like it is something that a Vic needs.

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
Never wash my bike.
It gets washed by God when it rains

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK Richie, all solutions has been given,

How to prevent this happening again .... After washing your bike, please AIRBLOW all the water off, this include the spark-hole .... Then you will not have a problem any more ...

Thanks folks, I think I now have a plan.

I do blow dry the bike, paying special attention to the spark plug holes after washing. I inherited the rust stains when I bought the bike used.

I located a bottle of C.L.R. under the bathroom sink. I will locate a very small brush that well fit between the fins and use the C.L.R. very carefully with a good rinse once I am done with the task.

I will let you know how I make out.

I will have to wait a few days for tomorrow's snow and for the temps. to come up, before I start messing with flying water.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts