Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I have a question, I drive for 3 years a new Victory Vision, 46756 km. I went for a check up and the maintenance said my EXHAUST PIPES are rusted and need new ones, see little picture. and now the back pipes coming out. Does somebody have experience with this and who can help me with this problem. I don't think it's normal after 3 years I need new pipes. The mechanic man said I drove to much in the rain. Victory America and Importeur in the Netherlands don't wanna help me.
Thanks, Rick

·
Premium Member
12,983 Posts
Sorry Denzel but your picture is not showing up yet. You need to make 2 or more posts I think to be able to do that.

I've not heard of anyone's pipes rusting out before but you all might have a different climate where you are. Do you live near salt water by any chance? That would do it.

Is it the pipes or the exhaust. Sure wish the picture showed up. Maybe you can put a link to where the picture is hosted.

Cheers and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, we have a sea near by, but I have driven a goldwing new and second hands and never had this problem. The mechanic man said the rond pipes coming from the engine and now what you can see on the picture if it shows up, the iner pipes coming out. the mechanic man said to much driven in the rain. But in the Victory brochure doesn't say don't drive in rain and 30000euro for a new bike and in 3 years you need now pipes all ready, don't think that's normal. Victory said: tuff your out off garantie, but this is very bad commercial for them

·
Premium Member
12,983 Posts
Ok, just to be clear, this looks like the tips to the exhaust and the outer pipe. You would have to remove those tips to really see what's going on behind it. If they are rusting all the way back; there are ways to fix it that don't cost a lot such as using "Glass Packs" that can be welded inside the existing muffler tube. I did a search and there are a lot of threads talking about it.

Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum - Search Results

I also edited the previous post because I found a pic of an non rusted tip for comparison. I don't really want to get into Victory not replacing them because I don't think that would be productive for you in figuring out a way to fix this.

Hope this helps!

·
12,968 Posts
auto parts store over there might sell VHT black header paint.
You could sand the pipes real good and repaint them.

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
An auto exhaust repair shop should be able to weld together glass-pack type mufflers so they will fit your bike. It won't matter what they look like as they are hidden with the chrome covers. That would cost far less than replacement ones. I have such mufflers on my Cross Roads and that cost me $150 and sound better than some that cost four and five times more, I think. Be sure to coat them well with a high temperature paint.
A lot of short rides that don't allow for complete warm up will cause pipes to prematurely rust out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An auto exhaust repair shop should be able to weld together glass-pack type mufflers so they will fit your bike. It won't matter what they look like as they are hidden with the chrome covers. That would cost far less than replacement ones. I have such mufflers on my Cross Roads and that cost me $150 and sound better than some that cost four and five times more, I think. Be sure to coat them well with a high temperature paint.
A lot of short rides that don't allow for complete warm up will cause pipes to prematurely rust out.
thanks for your reaction, regards Rick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your reaction, Regards Rick

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
You are very welcome Rick and keep us posted about the progress of that project.
Ric

·
12,968 Posts
looking at the end cap with the pipe sticking out makes my think the inside baffle is loose. You should pull the end cap. 10mm wrench 3 bolts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like you've had pretty poor service but I'd see it as an excuse to upgrade the exhaust! Every cloud etc..
I am very disapointed in Victory America and Victory in the Netherlands, it's not normal for a new bike from that expensive price, that you must buy new pipes after 3 years , because i have driven to much in the rain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts