Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the course of checking out MTVic/Mike's post on moving the shock-filler valve ( http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=59042 ), I couldn't help but notice how shiny the gizmo was that holds the clutch cable... and how rusty mine is (now that I looked down there).

Before I wipe a PB-Blaster-laden rag around there, I took a photo. Compare and contrast that one with Mike's. Anyone else have that much rust in that area?

Notes:

1) Although I've ridden in heavy rain a few times, I never wash my bike. (I keep it very clean with mico-fiber cloths -- bulk purchase at Sam's Club -- and stuff like Mequiar's Quik Detailer.) I don't want to deal with water getting in the electrical switches, gauges, wheel bearings, etc.

2) Yeah, I realize I'm doing a lot of posts lately. It's snowing out, so I'm getting my questions out of the way, as they come up.

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
LOOKS LIKE JUST SURFACE RUST,JUST KEEP THE CABLE
LUBED GOOD AND CARRY A SAVE-UR-RIDE CABLE WITH
YOU AND A FEW TOOLS.thumb up

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Ouch. Never had any rust on mine. I just swapped it out for the hydraulic clutch tho, so hopefully I won't ever have to worry about it.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOOKS LIKE JUST SURFACE RUST,JUST KEEP THE CABLE
LUBED GOOD AND CARRY A SAVE-UR-RIDE CABLE WITH
YOU AND A FEW TOOLS.thumb up
Yep, I keep a Sav-Ur-Ride in a saddlebag. And does look like surface rust. I'm surprised at how different it looks from Mike's, though, which looks down-right polished.

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
Suggest you remove the rust with emery cloth or steel wool and apply some sort of protectorate on it and other bare metal bits. WD40, silicone lube or polish should help to keep the rust demon at bay.

·
13,027 Posts
clean it really good and un do the locking nut and put anti-seize on the threads and then lock down.
Harley sell a rubber boot for the cable adjuster matter of fact I'll bet a after market shop might have five of them laying around that you could have

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
clean it really good and un do the locking nut and put anti-seize on the threads and then lock down.
Harley sell a rubber boot for the cable adjuster matter of fact I'll bet a after market shop might have five of them laying around that you could have
Thanks for the suggestion, VJ.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
WS , you should not be riding in snowstorms , when they are laying heavy amounts of sand and salt on the roads .... It is not a 4X4 , it is a bike . Plus its dangerous , and you could hurt yourself ....:crzy: No , really that is some serious rust , I'm wondering if somehow the factory coating never made it on there , I looked at mine and it also looks polished and shiny ... That is strange . If it were mine , I would have to buy a new one , I couldn't live with the rust ....:D

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I don't go looking to ride in the rain but in the 6k miles I put on mine this year about 1k miles was in the rain and mine is still shiny. Think I'll go and wipe it down with some WD-40 now!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WS , you should not be riding in snowstorms , when they are laying heavy amounts of sand and salt on the roads .... It is not a 4X4 , it is a bike . Plus its dangerous , and you could hurt yourself ....:crzy: No , really that is some serious rust , I'm wondering if somehow the factory coating never made it on there , I looked at mine and it also looks polished and shiny ... That is strange . If it were mine , I would have to buy a new one , I couldn't live with the rust ....:D
Lil: Hey, I meant that since it's snowing, I can't waste my time riding -- I have to waste my time posting (for the next few months). Yep, once they start putting salt on the roads, I call it quits for my riding season.

Here's another photo, this time with a flashlight shining on the area. It doesn't look quite so bad as the first pic, but there's still rust, all right. (And despite some glare on the lower portion, you can also see that the lower area is not too bad, by looking at the reflection in the exhaust cover.)

I have a rust-remover-soaked rag around it now. If that doesn't work (the chemical is a decade or so old), I'll wipe some PB-Blaster on it. And if that doesn't work, I'll try a rust-remover glass-bead "pen."

So, I gather that no one else has this problem, huh? Kind of weird. My bike must've missed the coating station on this part...

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yea, mine is definitely cleaner :) Yours looks like it got hit with salt from the roads. I'm here in Florida so not an issue.

I'm not a fanatic cleaner either, haven't cleaned it since I brought it back from NC, and it was in back of my Pick up, raining, and I've put another 2k on it since.

Did clean the shield and fairing.

By the way, I'm going to paint that bracket black, and I put a metal 1" extender on it and it works perfect without worry of finger burns.

Going to Hydraulic real soon.

Guess it's time to at least wipe it down.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, mine is definitely cleaner :) Yours looks like it got hit with salt from the roads. I'm here in Florida so not an issue.

I'm not a fanatic cleaner either, haven't cleaned it since I brought it back from NC, and it was in back of my Pick up, raining, and I've put another 2k on it since.

Did clean the shield and fairing.

By the way, I'm going to paint that bracket black, and I put a metal 1" extender on it and it works perfect without worry of finger burns.

Going to Hydraulic real soon.

Guess it's time to at least wipe it down.
Thanks for the feedback. And good luck on your projects. I'm still in the planning stage on that shock project... but your moving the stock valve was a great help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts