Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
That's pretty cool. I wouldn't mind a single din player one bit!

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I love having options!

What does single din mean and what about waterproofing?
In a nutshell;
Single din is a size of cd/media player. I'm certain there are folks out there with better explanations. Mine is rather bland.

As far as waterproofing, a marine grade head unit might come with a gasket to keep excess water from getting inside the fairing. I do not know for sure though.

Like you, I love having options! :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Ahh... got it. Thanks! Looks like the double din would be the cool one to have though. Isn't that what they are putting on the Indian's and Harley's these days. Looks like a cool upgrade for the car too.

For this day and age; our X bike systems are lacking for sure.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I do believe they are putting double din's in hogs and indians. It would be nice if Victory would keep pace in that department, but at the same time, a standard radio, like we have now, works for many people. The ipod incorporation is also nice. I'm only 28 and I have yet to embrace all the streaming services like iheartradio, amazon music, etc. Maybe the 2017 Vics will have the infotainment stuff.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I have heard is that 1 advantage would be all the possibilities of bluetooth. Now I am waiting for one of the gurus to start talking about the options or simplification of less harness's and dongles?

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
+1
can I get an Amen! To that

·
Registered
209 Posts
There are other out there that make a new inner fairing for double din radios. My questions with the double dins or even this single din from RJC is how does this effect night riding with the light from the screens on the double din? And on RJC single Din?since the single din is just below the windscreen it's in your field of vision to mess with night vision. How dim can you make the head units?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Most (newer) head units are dimmable, be it single or double din. Alot of them also have the option of changing the color of the display. :grin

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Has anyone installed one yet ? Would like some feedback on how it compares to the stock radio. Also will it work with a clockworks windshield ?

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
If your not into high fidelity on a motorcycle...then this isn't for you. but if your using high-end amps and speakers you might as well feed it with good clean sound...or your wasting your time and money...IMHO Flame suite on
Funny you should say that..... spending that kind of $$$ for speakers and amps, and YOU cheap out on a "Jensen" head unit, really???? :confused::confused::confused:

(I'm not saying cheap as in low cost, but rather quality)

·
Registered
790 Posts
I can only speak for myself...It is no issue.

Unless you are short...or get distracted easily...I don't foresee any problems.

See the attachment.

Before I bought RJ single din mount, I was using a 8.4 inch Samsung tablet, and it was very bright at night, didn't bother me...but there are many people on here that will disagree and I'm sure voice there opinions.:eek:

This is the stereo I am considering using...
Jensen : Mobile Multimedia : VX7012

If your not into high fidelity on a motorcycle...then this isn't for you. but if your using high-end amps and speakers you might as well feed it with good clean sound...or your wasting your time and money...IMHO Flame suite on
Not a bad choice, but I based that on it having a knob. I had a single din radio built into a fairing for my last bike, a HD Heritage. Bought a removable fairing with a single din radio. It had a closing lid on it to protect radio from water.

Only issue I had were small buttons. While moving small buttons will get you killed! Hard to control with the bouncing, which you don't notice until you try to control a small button! Go for largest old style knobs you can find, or get a remote and mount it on handlebars if it won't tie into existing controls.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Never had good luck with Kenwoods. Sledgehammered my last 3. went to Sony, no issues

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
My understanding is the only difference in "marine grade" stereos is the front, faceplate and surrounding-maybe a weather band. The rear is still the same. Any leaks into your fairing will not bode well no matter what. There are a couple manufacturers that make weather resistant covers. They work quite well. Nothing is completely weather/water proof. One of my kenwoods was due to water penetration. Not sure if through the face or into the fairing. I was riding in a deluge. I had no choice. The other two just **** the bed for no discernible reason. I will NEVER ever buy a Kenwood. I would not take one for free. Sony all the way.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Had a few wiring issues with the Dakota Digital gauge
Decided to make a few changes,hoping to button everything back up this week

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Looking good man!

Reactions: grh450
1 - 20 of 46 Posts