Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently purchased the Maximus and Tune from 801 and am waiting for the wideband sensors for the dynotune. One thing that puzzles me a bit is Ryan is saying I don't need to do cams in my Vegas.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OH sorry, I wasn't clear enough. Ryan from 801 motorworx. He's a remote programmer out of Utau. I have very good results already from a base tune he put in the Maximus just until the wide band sensor kit shows up. But am a bit puzzled by his response to putting in the Lloydz cams.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Oh, okay, yes I've heard of the Maximus but am not familiar with it but I bet I know someone who is. On the forum here and at thevog.net a guy who goes by half_crazy would probably know for sure. I just remembered KevinX out of Florida was doing some dyno experimentation with it a while back. Maybe he knows.

I'm with you though; it's basic common knowledge that cams will help the engine breath better and give more hp than stock cams. I can't believe a tune will do more or even as much. I wonder if it just makes more work for him so he tries to discourage people from installing them. Maybe they don't work well with those tuners.

Something doesn't smell right so I'll be listening to find out how this one goes.

·
Premium Member
8,781 Posts
I have recently purchased the Maximus and Tune from 801 and am waiting for the wideband sensors for the dynotune. One thing that puzzles me a bit is Ryan is saying I don't need to do cams in my Vegas. After his tune, I will not feel the need for them. I told him I have Lloydz VM-1 cams on my shelf ready to go in but he's saying I won't need them. I know the guy knows his stuff but, I'm questioning this...... Anybody have an opinion on this?
there's a difference between 'wanting cams' and 'needing cams'.

This Ryan dude maybe knows you real well, has ridden with you, and knows you short shift and just plod along happily like some riders do.:nerd
Never exceeding 4000rpm and certainly never going anywhere near the rev limiter.
Maybe he knows you just bar-hop and never get out of town much
In that case Ryan is possibly correct in his observation.

On the other hand, if you're a more spirited rider , who realizes the fact that these engines love to rev, and are somewhat hampered by restrictive. exhaust, intake, and soft cams so as to pass EPA tests.
If you like to wind it up a bit and ride your Victory the way God intended you to, then you need cams.
If you've ever ridden a bike with cams then you'll be craving them and salivating at the thought of getting them.

I bet Ryans never ridden a Victory that's been cammed and is breathing properly.

I didn't think I needed cams either...till I got 'em:devil

·
Premium Member
8,781 Posts
He sounds like some sort of control freak.
Just do it...

·
13,002 Posts
topshelf

I don't understand why you need the wide band 02's. By the way what year and model bike do you have. You have the Max now and hes telling you that you don't need cams. I think you have us confused

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've seen plenty of guys with the Maximus add cams and get good results from them. The Max is just a tuner in the end. It has some special characteristics but it's still just a tuner.

If this guy says when he tunes a bike the cams don't add much I would find another tuner.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Cams can mean FIFTEEN HORESEPOWER... He might not think that's significant, but I do.
Me too. If the tuner doesn't, do like I said and find another.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
topshelf

I don't understand why you need the wide band 02's. By the way what year and model bike do you have. You have the Max now and hes telling you that you don't need cams. I think you have us confused

The Maximus uses feedback from the O2 sensors

·
Premium Member
8,781 Posts
Get the cams in and find another tuner, pity youve already spent your money with this tripper.
Youre gonna need a follow up tune once the cams go in.
Whats the dollars for a follow up tune on this Maximus thing?
Its remote and I think Kevinx is getting into it, so if I was you Id be getting Kevinx to tickle it up a bit after the cams go in.
Sounds to me like youve got the rest of the good gear on your engine already.
Time to add the icing to the cake!

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I believe he can still do the cams and tuning should be included. They send you a laptop that they have remote access to. Then you go out and make a run. Plug in the laptop and log in. Then he does his thing. He does this several times until its right. You do put up a deposit for the laptop he sends out but you get it back when you return it.

·
Premium Member
8,781 Posts
Agree... Since when does some other guy know what you "want" or "need"?

No one really "needs" a motorcycle at all, do they?
I 'NEED' a motorcycle....and I got it, glad those "in the know" here reccomended cams:smile

·
Registered
891 Posts
OP, your so-called tuner is a HD rider and he thinks you are already too far ahead. Just trying to give his people some hope.:grin Perhaps all and his motorcycle experience has come from Grand Theft Auto.

Tuning and cams are two entirely different means to improve performance of the engine. While separate, they can and should work together for a better result than each could on their own. Synergy.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
I believe he can still do the cams and tuning should be included. They send you a laptop that they have remote access to. Then you go out and make a run. Plug in the laptop and log in. Then he does his thing. He does this several times until its right. You do put up a deposit for the laptop he sends out but you get it back when you return it.
There it is then. He can do it; he's just being lazy. He probably has canned tunes that get him very close but not for your bike with cams which means he will have to take more time on it. Well that's tough; that's what the OP paid for.

If this tuner thought it through; he would realize he would then have a canned tune for a 106 with cams for later. Maybe he figures Victory's are a waste of time since they have been discontinued and can't look forward to a lot of business from Vic owners in the future.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts