Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Sabertooth Saddlebag lights

13K views 45 replies 13 participants last post by  IndyVictory 
#1 ·
While trouble shooting my cruise control issues, I noticed by saddlebag lights are not working with my brake lights, I could have sworn they did when I installed them. They do come on with the lights and the brake light on my tour pack is working (same accessory plug). Can anyone tell me if their sabertooth lights work with the brake lights?

#3 ·
Apparently mine were the chinese ones also, I had to cut that peg off also. I think the issue with my cruise control is the brake light pressure switch, I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet, but my wife riding behind me says she sees my brake lights flicker occasionally when I hit a bump.

#9 ·
That’s the part I’m trying to figure out, like some said earlier, they worked as brake lights when I first installed them, no module. I think other folks have them installed, working as brake lights with out a module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 · (Edited)
Yup mine go bright on braking 8)

Ride safe,

Rob

So I found the issue with mine, the wires from the sabertooth lights were rubbing on the inside of the saddlebag guard mounts, bad wire routing on my part. When I made this post, only one wire was rubbed through, so I had tail lights, but no brake lights, eventually all 3 rubbed through. I got some crimp butt splices and repaired the wiring, brake lights are working again. (no module)

I haven't had a chance to test ride yet, but I think this was the cause of my cruise control issue, also.

#14 ·
Just got my bags off to make changing rear tyre easier , and riding to the tyre shop I tried the cruise control and it works with the bags off so I deduce that the chinese sabretooths are farking with the cruise control....
So unless someone has a remedy I guess I can just unplug the extra lights when on a long freeway trip, the type of riding I try to avoid actually unless I really need to get from A to B in the least possible time.

Attachments

#42 ·
I know this is an old post but wanted to add what I found with the Chinese lights. On my 14 xct, I narrowed it down to the Right bag saber tooth light causing the cruise issues. I even swapped wires from right to left and the same light. It is in the tail light portion of the LED. I pushed the pins for the tail lights out of the connectors and just use the brake light portion. Thats what im wanting anyway is more brake light visibility. Just my 2 cents.

#15 ·
I don't know why it would. The regular saber lights do not. It was my understanding that connections to the trunk accessory plug don't mess with cruise. ?‍♂

#16 ·
Well cruise works fine with bags off and chinese sabre-tooths disconnected...
Guess when I reconnect that'll be the moment of truth!

Funny there's a factory sticker says RIDING WITH BAGS REMOVED MAY CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH!!
Riding with them on may cause the same, wonder why...bike goes great with them off...less weight to lug around, don't look as good but!

#18 ·
ok let us know how you go.
My heat refective tape for under the saddlebags hopefully arrives today and once thats on to try to stop a lot of the heat from my home gutted exhaust cooking the bottom of my bags, well then Ill refit the bags and see the difference.
with cruise issue as well as heat issue.

#19 ·
I noticed the same sticker about not riding with bags. My guess is that it is about not getting stuff caught in the belt.

#20 ·
Im convinced theres a direct link between the cruise not working and the sabretooth lights.
Its a fact that when theyre unplugged at the saddlebag connections the cruise control becomes fully operative.
And when the sabretooths are plugged in the cruise wont work.
Sad...cos itd be nice to have both...at the same time.

#21 ·
You probably need a resistor in there somewhere to make the load on the circuit equal to what it is without the additional lights. The manufacturer should be able to help with that.

#22 ·
Wouldn't a resistor ADD load not take it away? It sounds like your hypothesis is that the Sabertooth lights are an additional load that prevents the cruise from working properly. They are certainly an additional load since they are additional lights. They do not replace any existing lights. If this is correct, then you would need an "anti-resistor" not a resistor. That is, you would need something that reduced load on a circuit and I do not think such a device exists.

#24 ·
Maybe it's a 2010 thing? My 2012 doesn't care.
Could be a wiring issue too maybe need to compare to the kuryakyn wire harness.

#25 ·
Are yours Kuri or Chinese(suspect same origins anyway)
I had to scalpel a plastic location peg off the grey harness connector so itd slot in, ...wires all line up...lights all work ok....just cruise wont work.
Off on my big trip Tuesday so Ill be using cruise...daytime running mostly so extra lights will be unplugged...

#29 ·
Perhaps they tap the wrong wires in that Chinese harness. Or something in the LED lights used is causing it.

Tempting to use one of those trailer wiring adapter isolators. Then the saber can be turn and brake lights. :cool:

#30 ·
I've got the Kury ones and they do not affect my cruise. Also, there was no tab to shave off on the connector like the Chinese ones have

Reactions: CanuckRob
#32 ·
found the discussion and want to bring some light. I bought the chinese set (just because were cheaper and sold by amazon), took almost a month to get here and YES, the connector is not exact, you have to pill off a small tab. Didn't realize right away the issue with the cruise control. The lights look awesome and work excellent, but when the cruise control stopped working, I took it to the dealer since I have warranty and it took them almost 3 weeks to figure out it was the light (they change the whole cruise control module, wires, grounding). They say the lights "confuses" the onboard computer to think the breaks are applied always and cruise control wasn't engaging.
End of story, bought Kuri ones (more than double the price of the chines one) and the connector fits perfectly (no need to pill anything) and my cruise control works no problem.
I have a Victory Cross Country 2016

#33 ·
Just need to figure out what the Chinese ones are doing on the wiring harness. Tapped wrong wires or something odd.
From your post maybe missing a diode so it's feeding running light power back into brake wiring.

#34 ·
Itd be great to find a cure as Im not about to go and pay double for genuines ( effectively triple cos already got the chongos!)
I just disconnect sabres when going on a big long freeway ride, which is boring and rare.
And daylight too I might add.
Most of the time Im never on a constant speed so the lights are enabled.
If its just a diode, like on the Stebel horn, then Im in for a fix.

#35 ·
I could probably get away with the Chinese ones. I have a trailer light controller and would just slave them in on that. Before I got the trailer light thing I added some small side running lights and everything was cool. When I added a lighted bar for my cooler rack to put the travel bag on it would pop fuse. To much draw. So these CAN buss systems are finicky about power

#36 ·
That was my thought. Use a trailer kit and have the Chinese sabers be brake AND turn lights. :)

#41 ·
I never knew you could get a diode like that. Cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.