Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a tough decision this morning.

Like everyone else, I have a shopping list for mods that runs the length of my arm (no I'm not a midget, so it's a long list). My birthday is coming up and I've dropped some not so subtle hints to my wife for accessories I'd like to pick up. Unfortunately I've made the decision to put them on the back burner for a more practical reason: a J&S lift.

I hit the 5k mile mark this week and it's time for some regular service. I put a lot of miles on my new friend in a short amount of time, and don't see the rate slowing down anytime soon. So regular maintenance is going to be a more frequent activity. Tire, oil, fork, all sorts of good stuff. Reading a lot of threads around here about dealer and service shops completely screwing up routine maintenance, I've decided to take matters into my own hands. The Victory dealer a few miles from my house even offers free oil changes with the purchase of a Victory oil kit. Know what? I'm STILL am not comfortable with them touching my bike. Nothing against them at all. I just don't want to find out the hard way that they could possibly be employing less than adequate techs. My thoughts are invest in the lift now, and I KNOW I'll be able to accomplish anything down the road, including any mods I decide. Which I will be performing myself. Anything from new cams to LED blinkers and everything in between.

Not that happy about the decision, and yes I could go with a wheel chock. That isn't going to help with fork oil, tire changes, laying on the garage floor for oil changes, etc. Trust me, I'd love different exhaust, intake, etc. sooner than later. At least this way I know I will be able to do all these things and more with a one time investment in a quality, American made tool.

Practical decisions suck sometimes, but that's what they are; practical. Plus I'd like to think I would be just as happy knowing who did the work and how it was done, good or bad. I still have a serious issue with dropping my bike of somewhere and walking away to leave it in the hands of.....who? Almost feel sick just thinking about it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Probably a wise decision! Stuff can come when it comes and maybe, because you're not in a rush, there might be a deal or two. Fortunatly, I have trust and faith in my Victory tech and save my time, (but not my cash) for other things.
There are far too many dealerships 'round the country that have no certified techs and they seem to think all bikes are the same. Wrong!!
Even the ones that have "certified" techs don't realize there's a big difference between certified and "qualified".

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
All,
Re-read Kingslys post and ignore all the blah, blah, blah and I bet you'll see that he meant to say:

"I'm buying a bike lift and a manual so if you live close by I have a place for you to work on your bike. I also keep my beer fridge stocked and always have something ready to throw on the grill"

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
All,
Re-read Kingslys post and ignore all the blah, blah, blah and I bet you'll see that he meant to say:

"I'm buying a bike lift and a manual so if you live close by I have a place for you to work on your bike. I also keep my beer fridge stocked and always have something ready to throw on the grill"
Wow, if he really meant to say it like that, I need to get myself moved out to Phoenix, AZ a lot sooner than I was planning! cheers

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
All,

All I can think is:

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sweet so does this mean your man cave can accommodate all of us?
So do we need to start a list of who is bringing what. I will bring the music. Hope everyone likes metal music. Nothing like working jamming to some motorhead.

Congratulations i an sure you will enjoy the lift.

·
13,177 Posts
Your profile doesn't say what kind of bike you have.

I started working on my bike cause I didn't have the money to pay some one same with my car.
You have to get a service manual and read it twice and do the work once. We have more time then money so go slow and you'll have less mistakes.
With victory's we don't need a lot of tools and if you have one of the models that has a frame under neath the motor heres a old school trick.
With a buddy of a wife and a bunch of 2x4's you can get the bike off the ground. Just lean the bike to one side and slid just enough 2x4's under the frame to touch it. Now do the other side. Now lean the bike and add a 2x4 and lean the other way and add a 2x4 just keep this up till you get it where you want it. Now getting it down lean one way and pull a 2x4 and then do the other side.
You'll never get the bike high enough to drop a tire straight down but you will get it high enough so you can get it out at a angle.

Know what you can do and can't do. Talk to your dealers mechanics and get to know them and then judge if they are smart enough to help you or work on your bike.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Bunnies and pancakes are both tasty, do you have those in your shop too? Honestly I really do feel for you, it sucks when you have to get things you need before the things you want. I hope you recognized that I wasn't trying to belittle your situation, I was trying to throw a little humor in the mix in hopes that it would make it easier for you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the 1000lb lift from Harbor freight. I bought for my old buell sportbike. I also bought one of those roll and lock chocks for the front wheel and made an adapter to fit it to the lift (The chock that comes with the lift is rather sub par in my opinion).

I've yet to try to load my highball onto it, I'll try it this week and see if it fits. Two details: The first is some people have complained about the the hydraulic jack not holding it's seal. I haven't had a problem with mine in a year and half yet. The buells only 400lbs. but i never let it rest it on the seal anyway. Use the foot pedal pump to raise it, slide the safety bar in to lock it and drain the air from the pump and it rest on the bar and doesnt force the pump to maintain a seal under the weight of the bike.

The second is the lift retails for like 5-600.. on sale now for over 400. If you check most cruiser mags, Harbor freight has a coupons in the front which knocks the lift down to 299.

If its long enough to support the HB, I'll take a pic and post it here. Now I just have to sell my buell and make some room.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm planning on grabbing the same life myself in the near future. We have two bikes in our stable and I do all the maintenance so it'll be a good thing to have in the garage. What's it say when I'm paying more for the motorcycle lift than I did for the one for my cages? Ha ha! Might be a good idea to check if they'll be at any nearby shows. If they have some on hand, you can save yourself the $60 shipping and they'll likely have money off anyhow for the show.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bunnies and pancakes are both tasty, do you have those in your shop too? Honestly I really do feel for you, it sucks when you have to get things you need before the things you want. I hope you recognized that I wasn't trying to belittle your situation, I was trying to throw a little humor in the mix in hopes that it would make it easier for you.
They are tasty.
I didn't feel belittled at all Ammo. I have a thick skin and it's all in good fun. Plus, working on your bike is better with friends and beer than by yourself. So I thought it was cool.

Your profile doesn't say what kind of bike you have.

I started working on my bike cause I didn't have the money to pay some one same with my car.
You have to get a service manual and read it twice and do the work once. We have more time then money so go slow and you'll have less mistakes.
Fixed my sig.
Received the manual Friday. Spent the better part of Friday and Saturday reading and research the finer details of belt tension/alignment (Ya...that's how I spend my weekend nights). Never worked on a bike with a belt, so I had to learn me some things. I've been into this manual like a 12 year old reading Harry Potter.

Hope everyone likes metal music. Nothing like working jamming to some motorhead.
Well...had Slipknot on last night while changing the oil. Motorhead's cool though!

So I have the manual, the lift, and ready to do some damage.
Thanks for the contribution everyone. FWIW I found out the other day that Autozone also has lifts, very similar to the HB lifts.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I have the 1000lb lift from Harbor freight. I bought for my old buell sportbike. I also bought one of those roll and lock chocks for the front wheel and made an adapter to fit it to the lift (The chock that comes with the lift is rather sub par in my opinion).
I've seen others recommend this one too. I can't see it being practical though. The three things that require me to lift the motorcycle most frequently are:

1. Changing the front tire
2. Changing the rear tire
3. Pulling the forks to replace the fluid

With this lift, I can't see how any of that would be accomplished. In my mind, only a lift that leaves the tires suspended in the air would be of much use. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I've seen others recommend this one too. I can't see it being practical though. The three things that require me to lift the motorcycle most frequently are:

With this lift, I can't see how any of that would be accomplished. In my mind, only a lift that leaves the tires suspended in the air would be of much use. Am I missing something?
That's exactly why I didn't get that lift. Not to mention checking the belt. To accomplish this the rear tire needs to be unloaded as well. The only benefit I could see to a lift table is to remove the engine, but maybe I'm missing something now. Other than that, a fork style lift is good for me.

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts

These lifts work pretty well, I have one.

At the rear of the lift is a "trap door" of sorts. This makes it easier to get the back tire off.

So all you need is a small scissor jack, like a factory jack out of a small car ( I found one out of an old junked truck). They can also be bought specifically for bike lifts but are a little pricey. A couple of ratcheting straps and that scissor jack and I can do almost any bike maintenance needed. thumb up

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
A lift can be used to ease almost any type of powertrain or wheel maintenance and to get the bike at a more comfortable level when cleaning. It would definately help avoid backaches from long periods of leaning over - I bet the guys doing cam swaps would seriously benefit from a lift because they can get the engine closer to eye level.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought the lift because my old bike had a gutted underslung exhaust so i couldn't use a jack. I had lower back problems from a work related injury and did all my own wrenching (solo) so it makes everything a lot easier. Without crawling underneath the bike or waiting for it to fall on me. For Wheel work I used axle stands I'm not sure if those will work with my highball but i'm keeping just in case, and let the buyer for my old bike buy his own.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Made a tough decision this morning.

Like everyone else, I have a shopping list for mods that runs the length of my arm (no I'm not a midget, so it's a long list). My birthday is coming up and I've dropped some not so subtle hints to my wife for accessories I'd like to pick up. Unfortunately I've made the decision to put them on the back burner for a more practical reason: a J&S lift.

I hit the 5k mile mark this week and it's time for some regular service. I put a lot of miles on my new friend in a short amount of time, and don't see the rate slowing down anytime soon. So regular maintenance is going to be a more frequent activity. Tire, oil, fork, all sorts of good stuff. Reading a lot of threads around here about dealer and service shops completely screwing up routine maintenance, I've decided to take matters into my own hands. The Victory dealer a few miles from my house even offers free oil changes with the purchase of a Victory oil kit. Know what? I'm STILL am not comfortable with them touching my bike. Nothing against them at all. I just don't want to find out the hard way that they could possibly be employing less than adequate techs. My thoughts are invest in the lift now, and I KNOW I'll be able to accomplish anything down the road, including any mods I decide. Which I will be performing myself. Anything from new cams to LED blinkers and everything in between.

Not that happy about the decision, and yes I could go with a wheel chock. That isn't going to help with fork oil, tire changes, laying on the garage floor for oil changes, etc. Trust me, I'd love different exhaust, intake, etc. sooner than later. At least this way I know I will be able to do all these things and more with a one time investment in a quality, American made tool.

Practical decisions suck sometimes, but that's what they are; practical. Plus I'd like to think I would be just as happy knowing who did the work and how it was done, good or bad. I still have a serious issue with dropping my bike of somewhere and walking away to leave it in the hands of.....who? Almost feel sick just thinking about it.
Check out Sears. They have a nice aluminum lift for under $200.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts