Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Southern Motorworx

Man this is tough. Today 3 years, and one day after Victory closed their doors. I am making the same kind of announcement; Effective February 1 2020 I WILL BE CLOSING THE SHOP. I will keep the number, and probably this page for at least a while. I will also still do work from home on a drop off/appointment basis. Seth and I have talked at length about this over the last week, and he looks forward to new horizons. I will frankly admit I face this with more than a little trepidation. As we move further from the Victory announcement; I tried in several ways to fill the void left, but unfortunately, I could not get the traction needed. It has been an honor, and a privilege to serve the Victory community all these years, and though on a smaller scale. I look forward to working with y’all in the future.
Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing and outdoor

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
What to say.........

·
Registered
700 Posts
I just read this on his FB page. I guess time goes on.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Yeah I got a text this morning that he was closing down. They got it off of Facebook I guess. I got to meet Kevin in 2011 and have talked to him via the internet a number of times. He's a great guy, great mechanic. I hate to see him shut it down, but I guess it's time. I'm afraid the Victory Motorcycle era is winding down. I've had a great time with Victory riders the last 16 years and met hundreds of them from coast to coast. It's not over though until the fat lady sings and that will be a few years down the road. It looks like Indian is heading down the same road. There losing money big time and dealerships are shutting down. How long will it be?

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I got a text this morning that he was closing down. They got it off of Facebook I guess. I got to meet Kevin in 2011 and have talked to him via the internet a number of times. He's a great guy, great mechanic. I hate to see him shut it down, but I guess it's time. I'm afraid the Victory Motorcycle era is winding down. I've had a great time with Victory riders the last 16 years and met hundreds of them from coast to coast. It's not over though until the fat lady sings and that will be a few years down the road. It looks like Indian is heading down the same road. There losing money big time and dealerships are shutting down. How long will it be?
Polaris shot themselves and us in the ass by buying the Indian name, switching all their marbles to that basket, then shutting down Victory. I wonder if they even realize it.

Victory is/was the very best American production motorcycle made IMHO. So much potential squandered. Yes, the big bike sales are down and were trending down then too, but shutting down was not the right answer. So sad. I'll still be riding my Vic's for many years. I have no intention to sell them or stop riding 'em nor buy another bike of any make. These will keep me on two wheels when I feel the need for a wind-fix.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
The man can't make a living with Vic, big loss.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's sad to watch the slow crash and burn of the Victory brand. So much for 10 years... If the Vic Shop closes then we know the professional mechanics for Victory time is over with.

In the way old days when Indian shut down in 1953 there was probably a lot of worry about keeping the old Indian's on the road but they managed and so will we.

When cheap, environmentally friendly batteries are developed/invented, e-bikes and cars will become commonplace. Everyone who owns gas and diesel powered cars, off-road vehicles, and pickup trucks will see the value of of them drop like we've seen Victory drop although it does seem to have leveled out for the most part.

No one here remembers when horse-drawn buggies were phased out as motorized cars and trucks were phased in 1903 or so. it took a while and the roads had to be built but those buggies sat and rotted away. One day when anti-gravity bikes and cars are invented; the e-bikes and cars will also be phased out or retrofitted. There is one other thing that could happen; today's gas-powered cars can be retrofitted to be e-cars. So if you have something you really like; you will be able to switch to electric rather than a new gas engine. I'll be a distant (forgotten) memory by then no doubt.

The Internet and digital age is only 25 years old. Look how fast that changed things...

·
Premium Member
8,780 Posts
Kevinx has been invaluable in guiding the build of my hotrod Vegas, via phone calls and emails, also a big help when I fitted the cams to my XC and put the front cam in upside down!
Very sad to hear the news of him closing shop.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
When I got my 2010 CR, I needed to lean the ins and outs of maintaining it as I was going to do it all on my own. Of all the sources on this forum that taught me the most were the posts by KevinX. He was always quick with a reply to a question. He was my Victory guru.
Thanks a bundle for the education Kevin and I wish you luck in your future endeavors.
Ric

·
Registered
36 Posts
Definitely a hard hit for me with Kevin's Shop 20 miles away .. While capable of doing most of the maintenance of my XC at my age didn't mind at all throwing a few bucks his way as considered him a friend since first met him at Polaris of Gainesville where he was Service Manager at that time in 2012 ..

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys, if you read his opus carefully, you will see he will still be doing side work from his home at night and on weekends for those who want to drop their bikes off so he's not leaving Victory repairs completely.

He won't say what his new day job will be. I suspect a regular job working for someone else but unless he wants to tell us what that is; we will be left wondering. Working for yourself is the ultimate but when it doesn't pay the bills you have to lay yourself off. Been there done that. The overhead of a shop can be overwhelming at times. He has some expensive equipment, like his dyno, I hope he continues to use in a sound-proofed home garage.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
At one time Kevin would do cam parties. If you had enough people that wanted to have their scooters cammed out. He would fly in on a weekend and do them. I know he came to Texas at lest once and did a group of guys. I had a friend that had his XR cammed and the rev limiter removed or raised. He claimed his scooter would do a 137 mph afterwards.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
First met K back in 2011 in Clarksville, Tn at a cam party. If memory serves me correctly - must have been around 8 of us that got theirs done.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Sucks but it shouldn't surprise any of us. As the years go on there will be less Vics on the road and less people interested in them. Then in about 40 years they will all of a sudden become hot "Vintage" machines that everyone wants, well maybe.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sucks but it shouldn't surprise any of us. As the years go on there will be less Vics on the road and less people interested in them. Then in about 40 years they will all of a sudden become hot "Vintage" machines that everyone wants, well maybe.
Might be a lot sooner than 40 years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Working for yourself is the ultimate but when it doesn't pay the bills you have to lay yourself off. Been there done that. The overhead of a shop can be overwhelming at times. He has some expensive equipment, like his dyno, I hope he continues to use in a sound-proofed home garage.

Think you are on point in that statement .. First of the year just came around and probably jacked up his rent up on the Buildings and I know he took a couple of hard hits on his Truck and Trailer Both needing maintenance ..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Southern Motorworx

Man this is tough. Today 3 years, and one day after Victory closed their doors. I am making the same kind of announcement; Effective February 1 2020 I WILL BE CLOSING THE SHOP. I will keep the number, and probably this page for at least a while. I will also still do work from home on a drop off/appointment basis. Seth and I have talked at length about this over the last week, and he looks forward to new horizons. I will frankly admit I face this with more than a little trepidation. As we move further from the Victory announcement; I tried in several ways to fill the void left, but unfortunately, I could not get the traction needed. It has been an honor, and a privilege to serve the Victory community all these years, and though on a smaller scale. I look forward to working with y’all in the future.
Southern Motorworx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Would you by any chance have an ACM #2879713 or # 4011536 to run in my Hammer? Somehow the old one got “ fried” !!, Greatly appreciate any help / advice .
Hopefully things workout at home servicing , we seem to be running out of Victory parts being accessible. Cheers Ben .

·
Registered
118 Posts
Southern Motorworx

Kevin, It was a pleasure to meet you at Frank's place in Omaha when you were here for Cam Changes. You and Rylan Voss have been Vic owners "Go -To" guys for years. I know it breaks all of our hearts to hear of your "challenges" to say the least. We are all indebted to you for your advice as we try to maintain our Vics. I know you guided me through some intake and exhaust changes. Thank You. tom

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I know he worked with a lot of guys that did up grades. Hate to see anyone that wants to own their own business. It's not for me, but I know for some it's their dream. Ya had to kind of figure if all you worked on were a bike that is not made anymore things will die out. Not many Packard mechanics anymore either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts