Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was hitting the bike with some detail spray the other day as I got caught out in a shower. I just noticed the paint on the right bag lid right at the hinge looks like the paint is peeling up where the hinge contacts the bag. I'm afraid water is going to get up under it and then its going to be real trouble.
Called Victory today and he suggested I contact the dealer and see what they say. But I pretty much can figure they are going to A:To bad pal you didnt buy it from us. B:Victory aint going to warrent no paint for a second owner on a 2013. TS I may just email the pic to them and see what they have to say though. I hate to ride over an hour one way just for them to tell me to take a hike.

7/19/16 Fixed pic orientation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I am not sure if I smoked too much weed???? But I can't for the life of me figure out what part of your bag that is? It's really hard to ascertain exactly what's going on in that picture.... My bags are peeling on both fronts. I posted pics on a thread about rock chips awhile ago. Once it starts on this shitty paint... I don't think you can stop it. If I was Victory that would be one of the things I would address soon, as I have heard Indian paint isn't much better.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Lol somebody rotate that picture or go get me another shot of Fireball... I get it now, I just had to bend my head 45 degrees!!!

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea sorry about the pic folks. I forgot it was sideways until something was mentioned. I'll fix it tomorrow maybe. It is happening right at the point where the hinge meets the lid. Its almost like a layer is peeling up. I hate to get touch up paint and daub it up and make it look like a bigger POS.

·
13,262 Posts
can't see so am asking is it the clear coat or the paint.
Either way I think you should go to a body shop and ask them what they could do for you. You can bet your dealer will say sorry but can't help

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I figure I'm gonna get the big kis off, but..... So I took a couple more pics to send to them if they send me back a respose so I can attach them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
Now that I can see it; it may be worth taking some contact cement to those spots after first taking a razor blade to slice around the spots to lift them. Clamp it down long enough for whatever you use to set. Epoxy would be fastest. It wouldn't take much. Using a toothpick to apply it would be about right.

If it doesn't work due to bad adhesion for the entire clear coat it's no big deal because it can simply be sanded down later. It could simply be a couple of spots where someone picked up the parts with bare hands and oil from their skin kept the clear from adhering as well as it should have. Obviously if it covers a larger area this wouldn't work but if it's just a couple dime-sized spots you might just get lucky.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the idea BBob. Sort of the direction I was thinking. I was actually thinking razor blade to cut at end of where it is peeling up and then touch up where you could see paint missing. but your idea is much better. However the "paint peel" wont lay flat. So going with your idea, maybe take the lid off, heat it with a hair dryer to give the paint some flex and then clamp down flat. Then when cools the bonding idea?

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
If I read you right you want to first try it by heating up the clear coat with a heat gun then clamping the spots down to see if it will adhere. I can't see the harm in trying and once again; you might get lucky and it works. What will you use to clamp it down? Some small pieces of soft wood maybe?

If that doesn't work plan A might work. It would be cool if there was an adhesive with a syringe type needle so all you would need to do is just puncture the bubbles enough to slip the needle in and give it a tiny drop or two then clamp down as before.

Just for grins I checked Amazon to see if there is such a thing and whaddayaknow; there is. You can scroll down a little to see a glue that works with it to set stones in jewelry and what not.

https://www.amazon.com/Glue-Applicator-Green-Syringe-Rhinestones/dp/B003O9I7U4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1468962663&sr=8-9&keywords=adhesive+in+a+syringe

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well as luck would have it, the wife does hand made jewelry. SO I have access to similar type glue. I contacted the dealer thru their web site, and I did get a response back. He asked when would be a good time for me to bring the bike by. So I asked basically are we talking possible warranty fix or what here being I have to drive over an hour to get there.
So BBob, what I was saying is heat it so the paint would at least lay flat. Rite now it wont lay flat, it stays "crinkled". So I was thinking get it to lay flat before tried to do anything.

BTW here is what I just found in my in box.
I would be happy to submit a warranty claim. It is impossible to tell you via email if they will cover it or not. We have a strong relationship with the manufacturer and in order to protect that relationship we need to make sure that the claims we are attempting to get covered we have physically inspected and have everyone's best interest in mind. The only thing we can do is to have the bike here and my service writer will take the pictures required by the manufacturer. If the claim is approved we will order you in the replacement part, if they do not approve the claim we can still order the replacement part at your expense.

When would you like me to let service know that you will be bringing the bike in?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea thanks. Regardless which way it goes I will post out come. Do I expect Ma Vic to fix it? Not really. Do I hope they will? Hell yea! I aint going to loose no sleep over it though. I returned him a message that I could be there Thur about 9 am and asked him about how long it would take maybe 45min or so. As these afternoon thunderstorms here have been bad. 2 folks got hit by lightning on the beach this afternoon.

Reactions: BBob

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So Bob, the clamp I think I can use is this one. Has small soft plastic pads and locks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was thinking either Sea Foam or Dielectric grease. They fix pretty much everything dont they?

Reactions: BBob

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was out and about and picking up some hardware @ Lowes for the luggage rack I got Wed. Ws picking up washers for under the lid. So I was on the bike and pulling out of parking lot and phone rings. I see a number, no name and "Lakeland Fl" I'm thinking I have not called anyone in Lakeland and am not expecting a call. Figured solicitor right? I get home look at phone and they left a message hmm not the usuaa MO. Listen to message.....Mr H this is _ _ _ _ (I forget right now) from Sky Powersports in Lakeland. My closest deal I took bike to for paint issue. I figure this is the big kiss off rite? Mr H we have your right saddlebag lid here and would like to set up an appointment to install it for you. I had to listen to message a couple times as I thought my ears were deceiving me. So I called and made an appointment.
I want to say hats off to the service department at Sky Powersports in Lakeland. They willingly looked at my bike and made the contacts to take care of some very obvious flaws that they probably could have just walked away from. I know dealers get a bad rap for the ones that do lousy service or wont fix things. But these guys are stand up in my book. After all the horror stories we read about bad service dept this make a fellow realize not all of them suck. I guess I really need to buy a shirt or something from them for this.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
My saddlebag paint is also peeling... My dealer has two new bags coming. I don't want them as I am repainting the whole bike this winter. Anybody need some pearl white saddlebags? Brand new!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Travis, I think they are going to want your old ones. My thought is let them swap them out even if your going to repaint. That way you know you got something to work with that dont have a flaw. I mean there may be something making the paint peel chemically not allowing the pain to bond on the original bags. Just my idea.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts