Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong, I love my XC, but the pop open saddle bags drive me crazy. Today I lost one of my new saddlebag liners (empty) and a pair of polar gloves because the left saddel bag popped open at some time during a ride. I was so excited because it's been so [email protected]#*&$ cold here and finally got a chance to go for a ride. Pulled up at a stop light and a guy pulled up next to me and told me the bag was open. It's happened before but I never lost anything.
I'm thinking of putting some sort of contact switch on the bags with a light close to the instrument panel that will turn on when the bags are open.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Man that sucks you losing your liner! Maybe a good idea to lock them before moving out. But the light telling you they're open is a good idea!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had one of mine pop open on its maiden voyage. Didn't lose anything (that I know of), but have been very keen to assure that the latch is secure every time I close it now. Fortunately haven't had another occurrence since.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love my XC, but the pop open saddle bags drive me crazy. Today I lost one of my new saddlebag liners (empty) and a pair of polar gloves because the left saddel bag popped open at some time during a ride. I was so excited because it's been so [email protected]#*&$ cold here and finally got a chance to go for a ride. Pulled up at a stop light and a guy pulled up next to me and told me the bag was open. It's happened before but I never lost anything.
I'm thinking of putting some sort of contact switch on the bags with a light close to the instrument panel that will turn on when the bags are open.
I hate to be a smart Azz but if you don't make sure your car doors are SHUT before you leave you could lose a passenger. Just close them untill you hear the click. Then lift up to make sure they are shut. EVEN a CAVEMAN could do it.:ltr::ltr:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hate to be a smart Azz but if you don't make sure your car doors are SHUT before you leave you could lose a passenger. Just close them untill you hear the click. Then lift up to make sure they are shut. EVEN a CAVEMAN could do it.:ltr::ltr:
No offense taken Wes. Unless you are talking about my heavy brow, excess hair and choice of fur :ltr:cheers
The thing that gets me is that I had ridden to a destination and never opened that bag. It happened on the way back from the destination. I was in the habit of locking and checking every time I rode. In this instance I had not locked the bag but did check to make sure it was closed before I left. I've heard other people say that the bags do pop open sometimes when they are latched but not locked.
Lessons learned are like bridges burned, you only need to cross them once.

·
Registered
679 Posts
No offense taken Wes. Unless you are talking about my heavy brow, excess hair and choice of fur :ltr:cheers
The thing that gets me is that I had ridden to a destination and never opened that bag. It happened on the way back from the destination. I was in the habit of locking and checking every time I rode. In this instance I had not locked the bag but did check to make sure it was closed before I left. I've heard other people say that the bags do pop open sometimes when they are latched but not locked.
Lessons learned are like bridges burned, you only need to cross them once.
I have never heard of that problem. If that is the case I apologize.
If you check the latches they are pretty forward. Just a spring that closes over the latch. I can't understand how if they are closed before you leave that they would open. I would guess that now you have had the problem you will check to be positive they are closed. If they come open after you are sure they are closed, then the complaint you have is valid. :)

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Yeah. It happened to me on my first ride too. The only thing that went missing was my registration so I turned around and went back to the dealership so they could print me up a new temp reg. It was also my way of saying "hey" someone should have mentioned something about making sure the latch clicked.

It the three months or so since; I've never had another bag lid come open. I just made a new habit of making sure they are latched right before I take off on the highway.

Bottom line. It's not a design flaw. It's user error.

·
Registered
222 Posts
A friend of mine that also rides a 2010 XC, said he left one morning in the dark, for work. Got on it pretty good going up the road, then he noticed it got kind of 'squirly' up at 90 mph. Arrived at work,about 2 miles, and noticed the bag had popped open. Now he makes sure the bags click every time he swings his leg over.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
A friend of mine that also rides a 2010 XC, said he left one morning in the dark, for work. Got on it pretty good going up the road, then he noticed it got kind of 'squirly' up at 90 mph. Arrived at work,about 2 miles, and noticed the bag had popped open. Now he makes sure the bags click every time he swings his leg over.
I'm willing to bet your friend didn't latch it. If the bag's just closed, and not latched, it will stay closed until you hit a bump or the air pressure sucks it open. Simple as that. Your friend forgot to latch it. Unless your friend can latch it again, and get it to open on its own, this is just a case of "I thought I did it."

The bags will open if not latched. If you guys complain about this, Victory will start shipping the bikes with big warning labels on each saddlebag. And then we all wonder why we can't see the bike from all the labels.

I sometimes second guess myself on closing them. It's very easy to reach back, while riding, and pull the latch up to see if it's open. If it's open, just push it down. No need to pull over.

And those who want warning lights if the saddle's not latched, I have a question for you: Do you have lights on your home's main door if you don't latch it or lock it? :crzy: :D cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are the latches at all adjustable? The reason I ask is that my left side bag closes a bit easier with a definite "CLICK" whereas the right side bag you have to push on the lid a little harder only to get a miniscule "click".

·
Registered
222 Posts
Crossroads-Your right, he didn't make sure it clicked--HE DOES NOW!!!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Are the latches at all adjustable? The reason I ask is that my left side bag closes a bit easier with a definite "CLICK" whereas the right side bag you have to push on the lid a little harder only to get a miniscule "click".
The rubber seal around the edge of the bag will wear unevenly, or even shift its position. This will make closing a lid harder or easyer. If you push the inner wall of the saddle bag towards the outside of the bike (while closing the lid) it will latch easier. Try wearing both sides evenly (ie. don't always store your purse in the same saddle). thumb up

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I am utterly flabbergasted that there are those that have never heard of this problem. Maybe it isn't as prevalent on the 2011, but on the 2010 it is a big problem.

Case in point, I rode our 2010 XC to work today, did the normal check the rear bags, make sure they are latched, pulling up and down on the latch handle making sure I can't open them, then locking them.

Going about 65 mph down the road, 15 minutes into my trip, I feel that familiar "wobble" that happens at speed when, guess what, the bag comes open.

I would also like to know, while closing the lid, how the heck you would push out on the inner side of the bag? I can't believe someone hasn't cured this problem. This bike is one from the True American Road Trip, and during our nearly 12,000 miles last summer, one or the other bag opened while riding no less than 6 times.

·
Registered
381 Posts
One of my bags closes and clicks with ease. The other close and clicks with a bit of pressure. I also noticed that after you lock them you need to check them again because somehow while locking they sometimes become "unclicked". It's O.K. once you know the idiosyncrasies of these bags. :crzy:

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
You should have a rubberized foam "bumper" held in between you lid and the latch with double stick tape. I had a bag come open once after which I adjusted the bumper out far enough that I have to use about 15lbs of pressure to get the latches to function. This also eliminated the lid rattle that I got in cross winds.

Be careful locking your bags; if you push the button in while turning the key you can lock the button while unlatching it at the same time. I'm willing to bet that this is the cause of a large percentage of the bag opening instances.

That's what caused my bag to come open - my wife put the key in, pushed the button in, and turned the key. These aren't file cabinet style locks..

·
Registered
221 Posts
I did this also the very first time. There is kind of a double catch. So, you gotta shut it hard. The other thing I noticed, was I wanted to close it by pressing down on the chrome lock handle. But, I kept pressing the lock popup, and releasing the latch again.

So, now I just slam the thing shut. And, have a habit of just before taking off reaching back and lifting on the lid lip to see if it is really closed or not...cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm thinking of making another latch piece, the one that goes in the bag, and where the two bolts hold it on, make the thing adjustable up and down. I too have a loose fit when they are closed.

Oh, and Ammo...thanks for the tip on the bumper, I'll try that first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had a similar incident with one of my bags. Bag opened while on the highway doing about 90 mph. Lucky for me I had zipped the liner all the way so I didn't lose anything. Happened when I went to lock the bag and pushed down too far when turning the key...has not happened since. I would attribute to user error. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
It could be because of the external latching device.

There's an easier fix than some kind of over engineered device that requires bolts and such. You can use something as simple as a 3-4" piece of velcro. Connect the fuzzy side to the lid portion of the latch and the hook side to the bottom portion of the latch. Connect the two pieces together when you're closing the lid, pull the apart when you're opening the lid. If the latch fails at least the lid can't open far enough to get torn off by the wind. If you really want to mix things up and get creative switch the fuzzy and hook parts around on your other bag...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts