Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After roasting my thighs this past (very hot) weekend, I'm very interested in some type of heat deflector that can make the ride more comfortable.

Most of the heat deflectors that I've seen install at the lower front of the saddle area which is where most of the heat problem is concentrated on my XCT. Several companies make them (mostly for Harley's though) and most look like this one advertised on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220849324091?item=220849324091&viewitem=&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1056

I know that lot's of folks have noted the excessive engine heat hitting the thigh area but I haven't seen much in the way of actual solutions. These saddle heat deflectors look like they could be of help but I don't really know.

Of course I do know that the lower and upper vents can help a lot but, with the heat we had this past weekend, the vents just weren't enough once we got into slower traffic areas. At one point, my in-dash temperature display read 109 F.

Anybody here found a saddle heat deflector that they like or have any words of wisdom on how to better deflect engine heat away from the thigh area?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
There isn't anything commercial yet but someone in the last discussion on this (HandyHoward maybe?) mentioned that he used a couple of thick leather flaps to block/divert some of the heat.

If you haven't already done so you can also disconnect your O2 sensors which will make it run a little cooler.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Nappy, I don't know where you live ( neither does anybody else on this forum) but if you lived here in the Northwest, you wouldn't be complaining about heat issues. The Memorial Day weekend was in the low 60s, but its gonna warm up to the mid 70s by mid week. How's that for a heat issue solution? Hey, I tried.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I contacted Kurykan and asked if they were planning to make the saddle heat shields for Victory bikes and they said they don't have anything planned yet. I would think they would sell pretty well. I've noticed a big difference in the heat from my Cross Country to my Tour.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ammo, I had forgotten about the O2 sensor thing. I'll try that next time.

I'm going to try to make up a set of leather flaps & see how they work.

I'm in Central KY, Ricz, but I used to live across the river from you in Vancouver. Beautiful area you have there & I hope to be back for a visit next spring.

·
Registered
116 Posts
After roasting ....
Of course I do know that the lower and upper vents can help a lot but, with the heat we had this past weekend, the vents just weren't enough once we got into slower traffic areas. At one point, my in-dash temperature display read 109 F....
Was this a problem on the highway at all?
Only at lower speeds?
What did you have the lower deflectors set at?
Would not having hard lowers have helped?:confused:

wac

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ride itself was 3 days of mixed highway and country riding, passing through lots of small towns. Although we did not do any kind of survey, we noticed multiple bank temperature displays in the mid - upper 90's in the afternoons. During this time, I tried numerous lower and upper deflector positions

It seemed like having the lower deflectors a little less than wide open worked the best overall. The problem was definitely worse at intermediate speeds (30 - 45 mph) than at highway speeds or stop-and-go. However, the in-dash temperature display registered the highest temps at stop lights.

Irritation was definitely worse with short pants than with jeans. I'm guessing that chaps would have helped even more than jeans. This is why I'm thinking about trying some kind of leather flaps (I don't have chaps).

The more I think about this, the more it seems that there is a difference between a heat deflector vs a heat shield. The leather flaps would be more of a shield while the Kuryakyn item that VanG mentioned would be more of the deflector type.

I don't know which type would be better but, as an effective shield does not seem to be available for the XCT right now, I'm going to try to cobble together some kind of shield before this weekend. Heading out on a 2700 mi trip on Saturday so need to get this together soon.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
I'm in Central KY, Ricz, but I used to live across the river from you in Vancouver. Beautiful area you have there & I hope to be back for a visit next spring.
Then you know about our cool weather. Hey, you're living in a great part of the country for riding, too. Been out there a few times as we have friends who live in the mountains of northern GA. So many neat roads, places and eats.
When you're back here in next spring, look me up. cheers

·
Registered
116 Posts
The ride itself was 3 days of mixed highway and country riding, passing through lots of small towns. Although we did not do any kind of survey, we noticed multiple bank temperature displays in the mid - upper 90's in the afternoons. During this time, I tried numerous lower and upper deflector positions

It seemed like having the lower deflectors a little less than wide open worked the best overall. The problem was definitely worse at intermediate speeds (30 - 45 mph) than at highway speeds or stop-and-go. However, the in-dash temperature display registered the highest temps at stop lights.....
Great descriptions, thanks!

It sounded like you were carrying a passenger. I'm guessing you've summed up their experience as well?

Best of luck on your trip - ride safe!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
After roasting my thighs this past (very hot) weekend, I'm very interested in some type of heat deflector that can make the ride more comfortable.

Most of the heat deflectors that I've seen install at the lower front of the saddle area which is where most of the heat problem is concentrated on my XCT. Several companies make them (mostly for Harley's though) and most look like this one advertised on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220849324091?item=220849324091&viewitem=&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1056

I know that lot's of folks have noted the excessive engine heat hitting the thigh area but I haven't seen much in the way of actual solutions. These saddle heat deflectors look like they could be of help but I don't really know.

Of course I do know that the lower and upper vents can help a lot but, with the heat we had this past weekend, the vents just weren't enough once we got into slower traffic areas. At one point, my in-dash temperature display read 109 F.

Anybody here found a saddle heat deflector that they like or have any words of wisdom on how to better deflect engine heat away from the thigh area?
Yes, they are at your motorcycle store in the motorcycle riding pants section.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
If you want reflective you may have to build something. Try playing around with some cardboard to see what shape/size would block the heat from rising and not get in your way. Once you have the shape down go to your hardware store of choice and buy a sheet of aluminum or tin. Cut the metal to shape and see how it works out.

IMHO the hard part would be making them look decent. After you get them formed correctly you could always paint them or (if you're concerned about edges) cover them with leather. Get some thin leather, really tacky glue, and slap it on the outsides. If that doesn't hold well enough you could also rivet around the edges.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
If you want reflective you may have to build something. Try playing around with some cardboard to see what shape/size would block the heat from rising and not get in your way. Once you have the shape down go to your hardware store of choice and buy a sheet of aluminum or tin. Cut the metal to shape and see how it works out.

IMHO the hard part would be making them look decent. After you get them formed correctly you could always paint them or (if you're concerned about edges) cover them with leather. Get some thin leather, really tacky glue, and slap it on the outsides. If that doesn't hold well enough you could also rivet around the edges.
I don't even see how anything practical could be devised. Here is a pic of a guy riding a Cross bike.

Notice how his leg sits right next to a large air cooled combustion chamber. Unless you put a couple of Harley air-cleaners on each side to splay your legs apart, I don't see what could be done that would be much help. Running the bike richer is one way, but the most effective is to wear appropriate gear.

If you think the engine is hot, wait until you see what a third degree road rash burn feels like...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I don't even see how anything practical could be devised. Here is a pic of a guy riding a Cross bike.

Notice how his leg sits right next to a large air cooled combustion chamber. Unless you put a couple of Harley air-cleaners on each side to splay your legs apart, I don't see what could be done that would be much help. Running the bike richer is one way, but the most effective is to wear appropriate gear.

If you think the engine is hot, wait until you see what a third degree road rash burn feels like...

that picture brings everything into great detail as to why i thought
i had cooked a rump roast over the weekend. nw ill was 98
sunday. i had one reading on the bike of 100 going down the road.
todays high--68.

took the lowers off mon to try to get a little more airflow but
the wind is up at your chest, but also would cool you better.
its not a car, so i guess you deal with it and have fun.--irv

·
Registered
381 Posts
I know this isn't what you're looking for but at higher temps I ride with jeans and high boots. It's actually more comfortable that way. Plus my lowers are open only two inches for the coolest riding. But this isn't the first bike that I'vre had thsat could be miserable when the temps exceeded 90 degrees. Both my Valkyrie and Rocket III were a chore to ride slow on hot days. Let us know how the leather flaps work out.

·
Premium Member
13,190 Posts
I simply remove the lowers once the temps get over 90 on a steady basis. Works great. Lots of cool air and no heat issues.

I removed the bars and lowers but just removing the lowers will leave the bike with better tip over protection and probably worth the extra time needed to do so.

It's a good time to thoroughly clean the lower and do any work, like carpeting, while they're off. Here's the diagram.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
I wear longies or underliners for anything longer than a run to the store. More heat/cold insulation and more saddle comfort. A cheap win win solution.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I never wear shorts either while riding. A good pair of jeans will allow cold fresh air to enter the pants and keep your legs cool while shielding your legs from the engine heat. Save the shorts, speedos and slippers for the beach! :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I never wear shorts either while riding. A good pair of jeans will allow cold fresh air to enter the pants and keep your legs cool while shielding your legs from the engine heat. Save the shorts, speedos and slippers for the beach! :D
Or while riding a sport bike, don't forget the flip-flops.....:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I used to use some "No more fried thighs" on my Electra Glide and they were awesome. I contacted them to see if they will make some for a Victory. I'll keep you guys posted. http://www.rjsoriginals.com/

No studs for me though. thumb up

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Good picture Bags but I may have seen someone riding a much cooler XR once or twice. Crimson beats Midnight Cherry hands down! Thankfully they discontinued Crimson and changed it to Sunset Red which makes it not only cool but rare!

They pic of the guards on the Glide were exactly what I was trying to describe. They may make you a little bowlegged but they would help stop the heat from creeping up on you while you're stopped at a light.

BTW no shorts for this guy! It drives me crazy thinking about what could happen to the sport bike guys (and a few cruiser guys) that ride in flip flops and shorts if they toppled. I wear thick jeans over 50 degrees and jeans/chaps under 50, I also always wear a jacket/boots/gloves/helmet. I can't say if it's the common sense or the Military forcing gear on me but either way I can't ride without it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts