Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Victory make saddlebag guards fot the XC with HARD bags ? I am assuming that bag damage will occure in a fall over !
Thanks Craig

·
Registered
7 Posts
saddlebag guards

I bought a 2010 cross roads and have it in the shop putting accessories on it now. Saddlebag guards are one of them. Looking in the accessory catalog that they gave me says that the cross roads and cross country take the same part number (2877871).

Gary

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote: Does Victory make saddlebag guards fot the XC with HARD bags ? I am assuming that bag damage will occure in a fall over !
Thanks Craig

One of the highlights - or may low-lights - of my demo ride on XC's in SLC was coming in really really slow to make a sharp turn to back the bike up to the demo truck. Unfortunately, I killed it, and over it went. Well, almost! The XC stopped at about 40 degrees and was held up by the wing-bars. No damage at all. No scratches on the bags and nothing on the bar!

As a matter of fact, many walked over to see how it worked. The demo guy pushed it over again for all to see. This became a VERY high selling point for the XC. He pushed over the Vision, a XC, and an XR - all same results.

I can see that if you are moving fast there may be some marks and all, but at a dead stop (like forgetting to put down kickstand) or barely moving, the tip protection is great. The bike will not start for 20 seconds, called "Tilt Sensor" by Vic. (p71 owners manual)

So, perhaps the bag protectors are wasted $ on chrome? You decide, I don't like the look of them IMO.

eta moya dva rubles

·
Registered
67 Posts
Added note: The rubber foot on the bottom of the kickstand is not there by accident. It is supposed to "grab" the pavement or whatever you are parked on if you forget to put the kickstand up and go. It will "grab" the surface and flip the kickstand up for you.

When it wears out you are supposed to put on a new rubber foot. It is a pain to replace as it uses rivets - much simpler to replace with a bolt and nyloc-nut.

eta moya dva rubles

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Added note: The rubber foot on the bottom of the kickstand is not there by accident. It is supposed to "grab" the pavement or whatever you are parked on if you forget to put the kickstand up and go. It will "grab" the surface and flip the kickstand up for you.
I can't remember how many times this happened to me! LOL

·
Registered
67 Posts
For Sooner-
Where did you get them, how much $, and how easy/hard to install? Do they come in black or any other finish? Do they really work if you tip over?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dealer, Coastal Victory, had them in stock. This set and a set for the 2011 soft bags. Price was $336 after discount. Didn't ask about other colors. Easy to install, took about 20 min. They stick out about a 1 1/2 and below the bags about the same.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a similar experience to White_Bear. I was sick to see my XR laying on its side and suspected a ton of damage, especially to the bag. But man was I surprised, the highway bar and the exhaust cover (just in front of the bag) caught her and she did not come to rest on the bag. Because of the highway bar and exhaust cover there is a small amount of clearance that protects the bag when she goes over. Now, the floor board did bend up, hooked on a bolt which did a little damage to the inside lip of the floorboard. Fortunately, this was easily fixed by removing the pin and dropping the floorboard back into place. The bent lip was gently hammered back into alignment. I am not a mechanic, but it seems to me that these bikes are very well engineered. What could have been a disaster, only caused very minor scratches to the underside of the highway bar and exhaust cover, which no one sees anyway. Prior to this unfortunate event I had been planning to buy the guards as soon as they came out, but now a light bar and lowers are my priorities.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sooner, I just got my hard bag bars in but have not yet taken them out of the box. What does the install entail? What tools did you need?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The rails attach to three points. Remove the bags, ther are two bolts at the end of the exhaust, remove them. There is a hex head bolt towards the front were the bags attach to, remove it. Bolt the rail at these two points first loosely.Then place the spacer in between the two holes in the middle rial and the bracket the rubber pad sets on and place the black bar with the two welded on nuts behind the bracket.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts