Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You must be kidding me, last week I took my bike in to get the saddlebag latch replaced as part of the recall. After waiting a month for the part to come and only 6 days and maybe 300 miles I checked the latch, guess what?
View attachment 159457
Look close, the grove has already started.
I called the dealer, their response... "Can't be"
Guess I'm taking another ride to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
This began happening to my new latch too , I took off the loop and elongated the holes , like WD did but I didn't put a drill bit through my finger . This cured the issue permanently . I believe its the only correct way to do it . The replacement latch kit is just a bandaid , the cut remains ....

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Just bend the hoop and forget about it
I originally bent mine but didn't cure the wear , when I was actually able to move the hoop it alleviated the wear .

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Anyone catch the thread where the guy put a spring steel metal paper clamp,
the kind that you use in an office in place of a paper clip over the aluminum part to protect it from the wire loop. That approach looked like it had promise.
Maybe some jb weld to insure it never moves too.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used the binder clip and it worked great, just figured I would get the latch replaced under the recall. I thought they solved the problem.:frown

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I used the binder clip and it worked great, just figured I would get the latch replaced under the recall. I thought they solved the problem.:frown
I use the binder clip repair too. I did have to grind it narrower though. One you have it installed, you remove the handle thingys. I also bent the loop so it goes clean into the latch's groove. I put a flashlight in the case and slowly close the lid, observing where the loop goes.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I thought they solved the problem.:frown
Nope Polaris doesn't not allow their engineers to have binder clips. They are only allowed paper clips or staples, otherwise they would have supplied the new latch properly modified. :smile

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
There's actually two shim washers in the replacement pack. In the documentation it clearly states some applications may require the use of both shims. Kodiak/Mags, maybe your bikes only got one shim and need the other...?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
You must be kidding me, last week I took my bike in to get the saddlebag latch replaced as part of the recall. After waiting a month for the part to come and only 6 days and maybe 300 miles I checked the latch, guess what?
View attachment 159457
Look close, the grove has already started.
I called the dealer, their response... "Can't be"
Guess I'm taking another ride to the dealer.
You go to Menneto's, or someplace else?

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
I put a washer under mine right away and have zero wear.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
You can say that again. The people at that place -- with its list prices and its service dept. -- seem to think they're doing you a favor just by letting you in the door.

Me, I have the letter somewhere around here, but a year or so ago I elongated the holes and also bent the hoop a bit, so I think I'm okay. One of these days I have to paint the hoop, to double check that it's no longer being worn away.

Edit: Forgot to add this: BTW, that's one of the reasons I stopped using them for new tires, and switched to Zack's in Hyde Park. At least Zack seems to appreciate business (and I'd say their techs are better, too).

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Proof positive...

This thread is proof that sometimes our ideas and fixes are better than the factory can give us.
We put a lot of time, money, energy and a little pride in our rides. Seems to me that there is little point in taking my bike in for a 'factory' fix that I can do quicker, cheaper and better than they can.
I will ignore the "Latch Letter". :|

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
When I first started reading about the right catch wear issue I looked at mine and sure enough, it was doing the same thing. I took a straight edge, held it against the loop catch and lowered the bag lid to see where the catch would place in the latch. It's pretty easy to adjust the catch loop so it places itself in the center of the bag lid catch.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
a binder clip...the "mini" size... requires no filing or trimming and is a perfect solution. Used in conjunction with the washer fix it can't be beat. I have 2 new latches ready if I ever need them but after doing the binder clip I doubt I ever will.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Where are those washers placed that you're talking about?

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
a binder clip...the "mini" size... requires no filing or trimming and is a perfect solution. Used in conjunction with the washer fix it can't be beat. I have 2 new latches ready if I ever need them but after doing the binder clip I doubt I ever will.
Your clips must be the cheaper Walmart ones - mine needed trimming in order to fit. I guess some do and some don't.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts