Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got this in the mail today, funny because yesterday I rode up to my local dealer to show them the bag latch. They took some pictures and said they had to submit the pics to my Vic to see if the latch was covered
View attachment 152529

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
yup got one as well. i dont think vic communicates real well with dealers

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I got that letter yesterday. The wear isn't bad, but it exists. I'll be seeing my local dealer soon.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I received my letter in the mail today, too. It's a single-page, front-and-back, letter; I just scanned it, and put it up as a two-page PDF document on my web site, here:

www.billanddot.com/Victory-Saddlebag-Latch-Letter.pdf

I took my bike in to my local dealer (then Mennetos in Clifton Park, NY, now moved and renamed as Wild Horse, in Malta, NY) last year. At that time, they took pics, and said that Vic would foot the bill for parts... BUT I would have to have the dealer install all the new lock sets, and I would have to pay for labor. I passed on that, and elongated the bolt holes for the loop.

But, now armed with this letter, I plan on visiting them again. I'm under the impression from reading some threads that the fix will include a new or additional weather seal, and that's really why I'm going back. The prior (last year's) approval for new parts by Vic -- but a couple hundred $$$ for labor, on me -- did not include any gasket change.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I have not got the letter yet but I did take my XR by our new Indian/Vic dealer a little over a week ago to let them look at it. They had already replaced all the latches on the new bikes on the showroom floor. They looked at mine and said I qualified for a new one and would call me when the part came in.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I did the latch update last night , it consists of 3 part #'s . Quite frankly I don't see how this is a cure but time will tell . It could also be the dealers don't know much about this either and are getting this same letter . My dealer had no clue and called me back to say they were sorry for putting me through the ringer and had already received the updated parts ....:crzy:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Details??

Has anyone seen the actual directions that the techs are supposed to be complying with to effect the fix? My dealer "fixed" mine last week and after 150 miles, the same wear is appearing on the new latch!!:frown
I'm curious to see if they actually had any data to follow for the fix.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I received my letter in the mail today, too. It's a single-page, front-and-back, letter; I just scanned it, and put it up as a two-page PDF document on my web site, here:

www.billanddot.com/Victory-Saddlebag-Latch-Letter.pdf

I took my bike in to my local dealer (then Mennetos in Clifton Park, NY, now moved and renamed as Wild Horse, in Malta, NY) last year. At that time, they took pics, and said that Vic would foot the bill for parts... BUT I would have to have the dealer install all the new lock sets, and I would have to pay for labor. I passed on that, and elongated the bolt holes for the loop.

But, now armed with this letter, I plan on visiting them again. I'm under the impression from reading some threads that the fix will include a new or additional weather seal, and that's really why I'm going back. The prior (last year's) approval for new parts by Vic -- but a couple hundred $$$ for labor, on me -- did not include any gasket change.
The letter states that you will be reimbursed for prior work on the latch.

·
Registered
522 Posts
yup got one as well. i dont think vic communicates real well with dealers
I got one too. I haven't called the local dealer about it. I'm pretty sure mine won't wear any further. My latch housing and loop no longer have parts that make metal to metal contact. Before this campaign expires I may get the new parts and do the same modifications to them just to start with parts without wear pattern on them.

I'd like to think the dealer management doesn't forward the information to the service department, or the service manager doesn't read the information and/or share it with his Techs and parts personnel. The dealer should get some sort of heads up about the product and whats coming down the pike. If Victory releases this kind of thing to the public before their dealers are even made aware of it...it's a much sadder state of affairs at Victory than I thought. There is no reason a customer should have to educate the dealer about a technical service bulletin or recall...especially when literature has already been mailed out to owners of the bikes involved. It's a much nicer experience especially when a new bike buyer calls the dealer to inquire about a mailing and they are on top of the situation rather than clueless.

Tech23

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
The letter states that you will be reimbursed for prior work on the latch.
Yep, but I passed on the dealer's/Vic's ridiculous offer last year. All I wound up doing is drilling out -- elongating -- the bolt holes in the U-shaped hoop thingy (for $0.00). I think that fix worked but, what the heck, I'll take any new parts they care to provide.

·
Premium Member
6,232 Posts
Victory Saddlebag Latch Recall

The Biker's Garage has posted a new item, 'Victory Saddlebag Latch Recall'

After Victory Cross Roads/Cross Country owners waiting for almost five years,
Victory has finally admitted there is a problem with the right hand saddle bag
latch and has issued a service advisory to correct the defect under warranty.
The advisory number is VSA-15-01 A-D, it applies to all 2010 to 2015 Victory
Cross Roads/Cross Country models [...]

You may view the latest post at
Saddlebag Latch Recall VSA-15-01 | The Biker's Garage

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Got 2 of the recall letters in the mail friday for the latch problem

·
Registered
350 Posts
same-same

Received the letter Saturday. About this time last year, after owning the XCT for a few months and showing wear in the usual spot, with all the discussion on said bag latch I took it off, put it in a vise and tweaked the bale a bit. Reassembled it, with a wrap of some electricians tape where the previous wear problem was. A year later - no wear on the tape, so presume I fixed it. Will save the letter and present it to the dealer next spring when I go for tires. :wink

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
35 Posts
My latch appears to be worn through about 50%. I'm wondering if I can get a new latch out of the deal as well.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
The updated repair kit still does not adress the issue and the latch will still wear out without doing the witchdoctors fix , which I did ... The new latch still SUCKS .:mad:

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
the catch should be adjustable and not a fixed spot, the fix is a bad bandaid.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'll be interested to see how this works out. I went to my dealer several months ago when all this first came up on the forum. I called Victory to open a case. I got my letter last week. I would be shocked if this turned out to be a failed solution. Manufacturers have too much at stake to botch stuff like this. Just ask GM and Chrysler. I'll give them a chance to get it fixed. I'm betting they got this figured out.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I'll be interested to see how this works out. I went to my dealer several months ago when all this first came up on the forum. I called Victory to open a case. I got my letter last week. I would be shocked if this turned out to be a failed solution. Manufacturers have too much at stake to botch stuff like this. Just ask GM and Chrysler. I'll give them a chance to get it fixed. I'm betting they got this figured out.

the fix is a new latch with washer/washers to wedge it in place to try to hit the catch better, to me this is a very poor fix. i talked to a guy that "fixed" his, the button now sits cocked in the spot instead of centered in the bag lid.

·
Registered
19 Posts
the fix is a new latch with washer/washers to wedge it in place to try to hit the catch better, to me this is a very poor fix. i talked to a guy that "fixed" his, the button now sits cocked in the spot instead of centered in the bag lid.
Well that sounds yucky. I think I'll have a chat with the service guy before I let them butcher my bike. Thanks for the input.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts