Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaders RPM Shop has the black Saddlebag Lid Rails and the set of Vic Saddle Bag Duffels on a serious sale...Since my "bumper guard" bag protectors were looking pretty shabby after a years of use, I decided to jump on these Lid Rails and gain some extra luggage to boot at these great prices..
Installation was fairly easy and I didn't run into any snags.....Installation does require drilling 4 holes in each saddle bag lid, a template is provided that's pretty accurate but as @broggyr said "measure five times, then make the hole" Also, drill the hole level to the curve of the lid, not straight down into it. Once the holes are made, pop the button screws and washer sets through, tighten up and you're good go..
Here are the pics:

template setup

drilled

installed

with duffels

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Nice chock!

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Leaders RPM Shop has the black Saddlebag Lid Rails and the set of Vic Saddle Bag Duffels on a serious sale...Since my "bumper guard" bag protectors were looking pretty shabby after a years of use, I decided to jump on these Lid Rails and gain some extra luggage to boot at these great prices..
Installation was fairly easy and I didn't run into any snags.....Installation does require drilling 4 holes in each saddle bag lid, a template is provided that's pretty accurate but as @broggyr said "measure five times, then make the hole" Also, drill the hole level to the curve of the lid, not straight down into it. Once the holes are made, pop the button screws and washer sets through, tighten up and you're good go..
Here are the pics:

template setup

drilled

installed

with duffels

very nice... i had one of those tank bibs.. it kept coming loose and sliding down so i took it off.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Travelin' man! I thought those 'duffels' looked kinda weird till I clicked on the link and realized they just haven't been "Sherrie'd" yet. Your wife needs to fill those puppies up so they look right, and I bet they'll make damn fine armrests in the process :)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I wondered what I'm supposed to put on those.
The concern I have is wind putting a lot of stress on it and off goes the lids during riding.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Travelin' man! I thought those 'duffels' looked kinda weird till I clicked on the link and realized they just haven't been "Sherrie'd" yet. Your wife needs to fill those puppies up so they look right, and I bet they'll make damn fine armrests in the process :)

I can now carry a whole lot of underwear ... :smile

The concern I have is wind putting a lot of stress on it and off goes the lids during riding.
The truth is the duffels were $40 bucks...I don't know if I'll ever attach them to the racks when but I just couldn't say no to that price for the extra storage.

Nice chock!
I'm keeping nice-nice for you, just in case you come to your senses and get another Victory... You can have it back, all you have to do is drive here and treat me to a Five Guys burger & fries :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Looks reeeal good thumb up . Looks (IMHO :smile) much better than the rubber bumper guards you had before. I had those bag racks on a GoldWing. While they are functional and add more bling they do complicate the cleaning and waxing process a bit. For that reason I never added them to the hard bags on my old Valkyrie. I'm tempted to purchase some for the Vic but after the kick in the nuts by the mother company the proverbial wind has mostly been purged from my Victory sails. Still a joy to ride, but don't have the desire to keep dressing her up.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
While they are functional and add more bling they do complicate the cleaning and waxing process a bit. For that reason I never added them to the hard bags on my old Valkyrie.
I forget why I didn't add lid racks, but I had a shitload of other bling on my Interstate:

·
Registered
347 Posts
. . . had the lower bag guards on the GW also. And the trunk rack. After the ritual of cleaning over-under-around and through all the nooks and crannies around the added bright blingie stuff I opted to forgo the added shiny bits on the black Valk. :grin

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The truth is the duffels were $40 bucks...I don't know if I'll ever attach them to the racks when but I just couldn't say no to that price for the extra storage.
That is exactly what I was looking at. This bike already had the racks and I was wondering how I would even use those. My original thought was stuff too wide for seat but they too low for that.
I had no idea that there was a bag made for it. :)

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is exactly what I was looking at. This bike already had the racks and I was wondering how I would even use those. My original thought was stuff too wide for seat but they too low for that.
I had no idea that there was a bag made for it. :)
Only went to Learders RPM for the racks, mostly for protection and yes I admit...looks.
I saw the Vic duffel bags and then the price, I saw no good reason why I shouldn't pick them up with the order. I'll probably end up using just one for most tours I do and lash it on to the Vic soft tour trunk I use.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
^^^ I have one of those. Got a good deal from Paulie :)

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^ I have one of those. Got a good deal from Paulie :)
There are two types of that trunk. One that attaches to the luggage rack of the non-Tour XC and one that is made to fit the luggage rails on top of the XC Tour's trunk.

·
Registered
530 Posts
after i installed mine i wondered the same thing... and after having my lids fly open a couple times, i got paranoid to the point of attaching a bungee net across the back seat attached to both lid rails... when i have a passenger, i usually just ask them to keep an eye open if they open... i don't know why mine opened while i was riding because i close and lock the lids in transit... but it is what it is... only lost a set of rain gear and a towel.. lol

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Victory also made a saddlebag lid cover to mount the saddlebag duffle bags onto. For those who don't have the saddlebag lid rails. I also saw them being sold at the low prices and thought, why not. I have the Victory saddlebag lid audio system and the Victory lid covers and bags will still work.

Though the CCT passenger arm rests as well as the passenger hand grips do cut into the saddlebag duffle space. They can still be used but then the passenger arm rests really couldn't swing out. Thereby making rear seat access for the passenger a difficult scenario.

It seems the saddlebag duffles are best used without a passenger. But I am impressed with the quality of the bags and the lid covers. They obviously aren't designed for heavy things like tools but would be great for things like rain gear etc.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I got the bags several months ago and they are great, come in a pair and have a shoulder strap as well. I keep them on the bike in the bottom of the saddle bag. Work great for the cool weather start and hot ride home when commuting to work to store the heavy layer jacket, I commute with a backpack and large cooler as I typically am at work for 2-3 meals and don't want to wear the backpack. Also works as a place to store stuff when I get too much, shopping, beer, ect, while out on the bike. The lid is a roll over type and with the outer straps and velcro straps attach easily to the tour pack rack or back seat. Not sure about water proof but certainly resistant. And I can fit a weekends worth of clothes and sneakers in one as well as roll and compress it small enough to fit anywhere.

Well worth the $40

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
after i installed mine i wondered the same thing... and after having my lids fly open a couple times, i got paranoid to the point of attaching a bungee net across the back seat attached to both lid rails... when i have a passenger, i usually just ask them to keep an eye open if they open... i don't know why mine opened while i was riding because i close and lock the lids in transit... but it is what it is... only lost a set of rain gear and a towel.. lol
That scares me. My lid wiggles on the right side and I have the documented latch wear issue that I'll be addressing soon.
Left side no wiggle at all seems solid. I've read that is more due to the placement of the foam in the lid than the latch itself.
I admit to being paranoid with this new to me bike and on my 700 mile round-trip I did reach back while riding to feel the saddlebag making sure they were closed.
$40 seems like a good deal for the storage but I don't see me needing the space yet.
As for armrest inferring I just removed them tonight got tired of kicking them.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@ChuglyXJ ...I was thinking pretty much the same as you. Rain Gear, especially having two sets when my wife is along, takes up most of a saddlebag and then we need off the shoes\sandals, extra sweat-shirts etc... On a trip these Vic duffels will be perfect for that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Trying to decide what I want to do with my saddlebags. I have the same rail things as you but in chrome. Really not liking the look now that I've had the bike a bit. So I'm undecided between picking up cheap black rails as you did or waiting for another set of virgin red lids to pop up on eBay/Facebook.

How are they holding up?
Looks like black paint that would scratch easy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts