Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there one ? For the attachment pins. I'm just not thrilled with those. IMO difficult to line up , and question how secure they are?

I might fab some studs & palm nuts ? Just thought I'd check the brain trust here first.

Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
118 Posts
is there one ? For the attachment pins. I'm just not thrilled with those. IMO difficult to line up , and question how secure they are?

I might fab some studs & palm nuts ? Just thought I'd check the brain trust here first.

Thanks, Ron
I would at least add in another washer to make it tighter. Personnally, I replaced them with speed clips and flat head thumb screws

http://www.mcmaster.com/#thumb-screws/=scnmbe

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Go to your local hardware store and buy some j-nuts and bolts to replace the dzus pins and plates. The j-nuts will slide over / clamp onto the same part of the bag supports as the dzus plates. Make sure to buy bolts that fit through the washers on the dzus pins and that the bolts are 1/4 to 3/8 longer than the pins.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
There have been a few lost bags. Some have admitted to human error while others have blamed the pins. The same style fasteners (dzus) are used on aircraft panels and airborne munitions and they don't fail if they are installed correctly. Check your pins periodically and make sure you don't bump the d-rings and the OEM fasteners will give you no problems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Never had a problem with the original pins.
The day after I brought my XC home I went for a ride and when I stopped for gas I opened the saddlebag and noticed one of the pins was all the way out. Whether I accidentally hit it or it worked loose I don't know but I wasn't going to chance it after that. That's why I went with the Crown Bolt and Cap Screw button socket for the front connectors.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I went to the hardware store and swapped out the "pins" for bolts and u-nuts.

Cost me $9.

Now you have to use a wrench to remove them....takes all of a few minutes - not a big hassle.

......but Im VERY sure they arent gonna pop off and spin down the road.

Honestly.....Ive only ever had to take them off for maintenance....not like Im carrying them into a hotel or tent.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I can understand the desire to change the dzus pins for screws if you're concerned about theft but imo there's no reason to worry about the bags falling off as long as the pins are properly inserted. As was mentioned, the same pins are used in aviation and I and everyone else that races uses them to hold bodywork on our bikes. Only time I've seen bodywork fall off is from a crash and rarely if ever are the pins not still in place.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I can understand the desire to change the dzus pins for screws if you're concerned about theft but imo there's no reason to worry about the bags falling off as long as the pins are properly inserted. As was mentioned, the same pins are used in aviation and I and everyone else that races uses them to hold bodywork on our bikes. Only time I've seen bodywork fall off is from a crash and rarely if ever are the pins not still in place.
Properly inserted....well, perhaps.....but they still need checked on.

I had a buddy loose a bag going down the road......and he never removed them. Could they have not been inserted correctly at the factory years ago and just then became an issue - I suppose. Or perhaps these, like anything else, can fail.

Another friend lost a bag off his HD the same way.....same type of pins.

Since bags are expensive......and bolts are cheap - I went the cheaper route.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just checked

After seeing this topic, I went out and checked mine. One out of four was working loose, approx. 1/4 backed off and the rest are good. This is after 2500 Kms. I did have that bag off when It was new just checking it out. I think just get into a habit to check them when you open the bag.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts