Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I used the search function a few times and didn't find what I was looking for, if this is answered somewhere else I apologize.

I have a 2014 Cross Country 8-Ball with stock exhaust, I noticed yesterday after my ride home from work (about 45 minutes) and reached into my bags and they were pretty warm, to the point where my unfinished food from lunch that was inside was now pre-heated for me.

Is this common, is there anything that can be done, and can this cause any damage to the bags?

·
13,027 Posts
all saddlebags get warm inside. Think of the h-d has been doing it for 80 years
I stuff me jacket in and then put food on top of it.

You can go to auto parts store and buy exhaust blanket its not cheap but you can cover the bottom of the bag to stop some of the heat

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes,.. I found this out with my 13' XC the first week I had it riding in July during 105+ weather. The right saddlebag especially, because it was making my ipod get to hot to play.

What I did was buy aluminum duct tape (not plain old duct tape, but the aluminum stuff) and covered the bottom of my saddlebags. This solved the problem, and no more heat build up. The Witchdoctors kit is close to the same stuff, just precut and a little thicker, but the aluminum tape from any hardware store will work.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
The Witchdoctors saddlebag heat shield kits work great. While you're at it, buy the one they make for under the seat as well.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
The Witchdoctors saddlebag heat shield kits work great. While you're at it, buy the one they make for under the seat as well.
+1 to this suggestion. If you wanted to save a bit you could simply buy the tape on a roll from Auto Zone and cut to fit the bottom outside of the bags. That's what I did anyway before WD came up with the kit.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes,.. I found this out with my 13' XC the first week I had it riding in July during 105+ weather. The right saddlebag especially, because it was making my ipod get to hot to play.

What I did was buy aluminum duct tape (not plain old duct tape, but the aluminum stuff) and covered the bottom of my saddlebags. This solved the problem, and no more heat build up. The Witchdoctors kit is close to the same stuff, just precut and a little thicker, but the aluminum tape from any hardware store will work.
I actually have a roll of this tape in my garage already and the thought crossed my mind. However I think I want something that will look cleaner than I can cut myself.

Thanks for the suggestion!
I'll take a look at this and may go that route. I might look at doing this and then the blanket as Johnny suggested to make it look nice and clean.

EDIT: Oh these go on the outside bottom of the bags...hmmm

·
Registered
304 Posts
Heat shield

Picked up a 3' x 4' chunk of Heat Shield 2000 Degree from a Hot Rod shop - $50 and I am going to have lots left so will be giving it to my friends here in town!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I can tell you my 13 XC Is waaaaaay hotter than my 11 XR was. Both have hard bags. So, this tape that everyone speaks of.... Inside the bag or on the outside bottom surface?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Picked up a 3' x 4' chunk of Heat Shield 2000 Degree from a Hot Rod shop - $50 and I am going to have lots left so will be giving it to my friends here in town!
am I your friend? :ltr::ltr:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I can tell you my 13 XC Is waaaaaay hotter than my 11 XR was. Both have hard bags. So, this tape that everyone speaks of.... Inside the bag or on the outside bottom surface?
This is from WitchDoctor's page ( http://buywitchdoctors.com/p/1450/victory-motorcycle-parts-other-stuff-general-accessories-saddle-heat-barrier-cross-country-roads-sc-387/ ) on their offering (emphasis mine):

The adhesive backed composite construction material can easily be applied to the bottom of your saddle bag in minutes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
+1 to this suggestion. If you wanted to save a bit you could simply buy the tape on a roll from Auto Zone and cut to fit the bottom outside of the bags. That's what I did anyway before WD came up with the kit.
I did the same thing, i got a roll of it at Lowes and made all the cuts myself, even went up the back side (in that little cavern) and the side facing the bike...works really well.. I think the roll cost me $20.00 and i have plenty left over for the seat...;)
looking at Bbobs pic....the stuff i used was thicker, a good 1/8 if i remember right

1 - 15 of 15 Posts