Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SAFETY RECALL NOTICE

Recall Campaign: 13E-048

Subject: 2010-2014 Victory Motorcycle - Lock & Ride Backrest/Luggage Rack

PLEASE READ IMMEDIATELY

Dear Victory Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. The Victory Motorcycle Division of Polaris Industries Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in some Lock & Ride passenger backrests if those passenger backrests are used in conjunction with a luggage rack. These passenger backrest/luggage rack combinations could be used on any 2010 through 2014 Victory Cross Country, Cross Roads, Cross Roads Classic, Cross Country Touring or Hard-Ball motorcycles.

The reason for this recall:

Victory has determined that some Lock & Ride passenger backrests, if used with a luggage rack, can crack at the chassis mounting point. This could cause a passenger to lose support increasing the risk of the passenger falling off of the motorcycle. Passenger backrests that have never had a luggage rack installed onto them are not affected and may continue to be used reliably.

What Victory and your dealer will do:

Victory will issue a Safety Recall Bulletin to all Victory dealers, with the appropriate instructions to inspect and replace as necessary affected Lock & Ride passenger backrests. If the passenger backrest currently has or has ever had a luggage rack, the passenger backrest and luggage rack will be removed and replaced with an updated design. Repairs must be made by any authorized Victory motorcycle dealer at no cost to you. The actual repair should take under an hour to preform, however, it may take longer due to service scheduling requirements.

Parts are not currently available to remedy the issue, but Victory believes that the necessary parts to complete the repair will be available after April 30, 2014. You will be mailed a second notice when parts are available to remind you to schedule the repairs.

What you should do:

If your Victory Cross Roads, Cross Country or Hard-Ball motorcycle is equipped with a Lock & Ride passenger backrest and has never had a luggage rack installed with the passenger backrest, there is nothing you need to do Do not install a luggage rack onto your Lock & Ride passenger backrest. Your machine is not affected by this recall.

If your Victory Cross Roads, Cross Country or Hard-Ball motorcycle currently has, or has ever had a luggage rack installed onto your Lock & Ride passenger backrest, you must remove and retain your passenger backrest from motorcycle before operating your motorcycle.

After April 30, 2014, please call your authorized Victory motorcycle dealer to schedule an appointment to have the bulletin repair performed. If you have removed your passenger backrest and luggage rack so you could continue to use your motorcycle, you must retain them so that they can be presented to your Victory dealer. Repairs must be done only by an authorized Victory motorcycle dealer.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Got my notice this morning. It does not say what they are going to do to fix the problem. I have the backrest but no luggage rack, so as it reads I'm not effected. BUT---I'm going to have a talk with my dealer and have it done (if it is allowed) in case I put on a luggage rack or so it's done for resale. Wouldn't it be great if the fix is the hardware that is used for the addition of a trunk since I have a 2010 XC. But I doubt that since it does not cover just that year.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I posted the recall notice that I just became aware of yesterday when I received it in the mail.

I had not heard of it before and did not know it was already posted. Shame on me for posting a safety recall.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Got my notice yesterday also but what good is it if they don't do anything till next year bout

1 - 6 of 6 Posts