Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How the heck do I get that big safety sticker off of my gas tank without ruining the paint? :confused:

It won't just peel off and it's by the gas cap saying to read your manual. Thanks :(

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
It's the first thing I did when I got my new bike.
I took a hair dryer, put it on high heat and wave it over the sticker, the tank acts as a big heat sink so it might take a few minutes.
Always keep the dryer moving and not hold it in one spot.
Work one corner with your finger nail (try not to gouge the paint) and grab the corner.
Wave the dryer under the sticker at the glue while you are lifting.
Work it with the dryer, little at a time, you will see the sticker stretch like rubber.
If the sticker starts to tear then it is getting too hot, back off the dryer, it's easier to take it off in one piece.
Keep doing it until it is removed. Slow and steady.
I had two stickers on the tank, one in French and one in English.
I also removed the sticker from my front left engine guard on my CCT.
There was a bit of glue left after removing the stickers, I used some Goo-Gone that I got at the store, then clean the area with water.
You should try to do it when the bike is fairly new as the sun fades the paint over time, and the paint under the sticker will not match.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's the first thing I did when I got my new bike.
I took a hair dryer, put it on high heat and wave it over the sticker, the tank acts as a big heat sink so it might take a few minutes.
Always keep the dryer moving and not hold it in one spot.
Work one corner with your finger nail (try not to gouge the paint) and grab the corner.
Wave the dryer under the sticker at the glue while you are lifting.
Work it with the dryer, little at a time, you will see the sticker stretch like rubber.
If the sticker starts to tear then it is getting too hot, back off the dryer, it's easier to take it off in one piece.
Keep doing it until it is removed. Slow and steady.
I had two stickers on the tank, one in French and one in English.
I also removed the sticker from my front left engine guard on my CCT.
There was a bit of glue left after removing the stickers, I used some Goo-Gone that I got at the store, then clean the area with water.
You should try to do it when the bike is fairly new as the sun fades the paint over time, and the paint under the sticker will not match.
Hope this helps.
Exactly what I did, works great!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Only other thing I might add is to leave the bike in the sun to heat up the tank/sticker so you don't have to heat it up so much with the hair dryer.

Also if you don't have any Goo-Gone WD-40 works just as good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts