Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my experience with sam wakim and ridewright. Some of you may know I encountered some issued when I purchased my wheels and tires back in may of 2013. The holes for the rear rotor were tapped too shallow and I had to grind down my bolts to get everything on. Sam was quick to ask me how he could correct the issue and sent me a t-shirt which was all I asked for as it wasn't a major setback. Well unfortunately a few days ago while cleaning my wheels I noticed my rear tire was mounted backwards in reference to the tire rotation.

First off I felt pretty stupid that I overlooked this and have been riding on it for 8k miles plus. After speaking with dave at avon he confirmed everything i read about how the tires are designed and that it is defenitely counter intuitive to the tread lap and water diversion on the tire.

After sending sam some pictures today he told me he is shipping out a new tire first thing monday and a return shipping label to send the old tire back so it doesn't end up on somebody's bike. I have to admit I was looking forward to an insane burnout lol.....who wouldn't. Anyways....thumbs up sam and ridewright....you run a great company and value your customers and have my respect. Im going down to a 180 instead of the current 200. Thanks again sam. You guys make some fantastic wheels and if you are lookin for spokes this is where you want to go.

When im readying gonna buy another 21" wheel for the rear and go for the board track bobber look. But for now im rockin the 18.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just wanted to share my experience with sam wakim and ridewright. Some of you may know I encountered some issued when I purchased my wheels and tires back in may of 2013. The holes for the rear rotor were tapped too shallow and I had to grind down my bolts to get everything on. Sam was quick to ask me how he could correct the issue and sent me a t-shirt which was all I asked for as it wasn't a major setback. Well unfortunately a few days ago while cleaning my wheels I noticed my rear tire was mounted backwards in reference to the tire rotation.

First off I felt pretty stupid that I overlooked this and have been riding on it for 8k miles plus. After speaking with dave at avon he confirmed everything i read about how the tires are designed and that it is defenitely counter intuitive to the tread lap and water diversion on the tire.

After sending sam some pictures today he told me he is shipping out a new tire first thing monday and a return shipping label to send the old tire back so it doesn't end up on somebody's bike. I have to admit I was looking forward to an insane burnout lol.....who wouldn't. Anyways....thumbs up sam and ridewright....you run a great company and value your customers and have my respect. Im going down to a 180 instead of the current 200. Thanks again sam. You guys make some fantastic wheels and if you are lookin for spokes this is where you want to go.

When im readying gonna buy another 21" wheel for the rear and go for the board track bobber look. But for now im rockin the 18.
good karma for you and them...dead sexy ride too

·
Registered
976 Posts
Why is it that you are ditching the 200? Are you going for the 180 because of handling, choice of tyres or for looks?

As you know I am tossing up between the two sizes too. The main difference it that I am going it on 16's and I have the 130 front.

What would you do?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mainly looks and a bit of handling. Not sure what I would do on 16s probably the 180 if not keep the 150. Maybe go for the big thick tire look like an exile bike. My plan is to take a Vic frame and chop it at the rear downturn and weld on a hardtail w enough length for a 21 in the rear and then a 21 in the front for a boardtrack bomber look

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
976 Posts
Wow! Really? I have never heard of a Boardtrack Bomber. I just googled it and they are awesome! Does that mean you are going to see me your rims then? :)

I want to do the rear fender like a conquest custom bike or like the Highball in Dubai. I think if I did that fender on a 150 rear tyre it might look too weak. I think the thinner wheels need a bigger diameter to look good.

This is such a hard decision to make!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah boardtrack bobbers are sick. All I can say is be different. The Dubai bike is a bit on the rough end for me....looked good but could have been done cleaner...the seat didn't jive w the split in the tank and the fender struts were too simple. Scott makes killer bikes at conquest no doubt. If u want a street fighter or drag look that's the way to go.
I think two 21's looks sick w 3.5" wheels. I'm pretty done w the fat rear tire look. Doesn't do anything for me.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Officially registering my interest in your wheels mate. I'm first in the queue!

I'd never seen this board style of bike. Where does that style come from? Do you have a pic of what you want yours to look like?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just in my head. I'm going to dish out the sides of thev tank where the logos are. Clean up the wires etc....lots of brass satin black paint w white and gold pin striping and some variegated gold leaf....remove all the hand controls and put the switches hidden possibly on ignition plate or side of cheese wedge...so only thing on bars is a brake and clutch and internal throttle.

·
Registered
976 Posts
That's amazing!!! Can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've emailed Rideright wheels twice now through their site and never heard back. Do you have another email you could pm me for them?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
714-632-8297 call them on the phone. Much better to speak to a person. If you want to talk to the top man ask for sam and tell him you read yhe positive feedback from steve malone. Not saying it will get u a deal but its nice to make things more personable. Make sure you tell em your pulley is on the right so yhey get the tire going in the right direction hahaha.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Big T they don't return emails... There customer service sucks IMHO but the wheels they build are top notch! You have to phone them 714-632-8297. What are you wanting to know maybe myself or BigSteveO can help... I am still without my wheels but will be picking them up in Anaheim on April 23rd I can hardly wait!!!!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Since I'm in the UK I thought emailing would be best. I used their website so I would have thought they would reply there.

Travis, why haven't you got your wheels yet??? I though you had them already.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I shipped them back as I didn't like the all flat black that I chose... I f'ed up Big T. I have everything complete on my bike now except wheels, airbox, advanced timing wheel. I will post the pics as soon as I get her complete. I don't want to reveal it all until it's finished. I am loving the look of it now that I got rid of stock lights (signals and headlight). The judge light makes the bike look a million times more old skool. How are you making out in your quests Big T?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have u checked out thundercity big tav? They are in Leeds uk. They built a pretty nice yet basic highball. Might have a line on wheels closer to you. I'd find out where Marcus Walz gets his spokes from. I know hes strictly Harley but anyone can make a nice wheel with the proper dimensions off ur bike. Just a thought. Ur gonna take it in the shorts on shipping and handling buying from ridewright.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just got my rims from sinister wheels and the inner tube inside the hub was the wrong size the axle wouldn't go through it. waiting to hear back from them to fix this problem.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hi guys, I have spoken to Thundercity. They are the ones that will probably do the work for me on this. They said they would just send the wheel out to get built at Hagon Wheels
http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/common/pdf/wheels2011.pdf

I spoke to Hagon and they are happy to do it but can only supply a 5.5 rim which means a 180 tyre. I guess I "could" run that 200 on it but I don't want it to be crap on the back due to incorrect rim size as I was told the rear needs to be a 200 to suit.

The only 40 Spoke Rim I could find in 16x6 was an aluminium rim from the US and I was quoted $596 for the outer rim only! I then have to ship it, pay 20% VAT and then build it! That is a lot of money for an extra 20mm!

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
The 180 will look awesome Big T. Our bikes have a narrow ass end so the 180 fills it up really well. You don't want the back of your bike looking like a fat girl stuffed into skinny jeans do ya?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts