Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting satellite radio on the CCT.....here comes the stupid part....what do I need to do to accomplish this?
TIA

·
Registered
569 Posts
You can buy the Vic kit for $400 or do a simple install of a portable automotive unit like I did for less than $50. I actually plan on taking pics to show the rather easy install this evening. The difference is: with the Vic kit all the controls work, with the my install only volume works because it runs off the auxiliary via the IPOD connector in the left lower. So if you want to change the Sirius/XM channel you have to pull over and open the lower door.

The Sirius/XM car kit is on sale on amazon for $20.
SiriusXM Satellite Radio XEZ1 Onyx EZ Satellite Radio
by SiriusXM Satellite Radio
Link: http://amzn.com/B00DESFIQG

If you don't have an Ipod connector you would need one and an IPOD to bluetooth connector with a 3.5 mm jack.
This is the one I have: $12
Link: http://amzn.com/B00ED3JE7

Also the bluetooth adapter allows you to stream music from your phone to the radio.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
So if you want to change the Sirius/XM channel you have to pull over and open the lower door.
I have my Sirius XM unit mounted to a RAM mount on the handlebars on the left within easy reach. Have no problem changing channels, etc and/or seeing what is playing.

I can provide pics/info on how I mounted mine if interested.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Im interested as well on how you installed.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Im interested as well on how you installed.
I'll post pics either this evening or the weekend.

I took the swivel mount from the kit and glued it to a flat-topped RAM mount. I used Gorilla Glue. It hasn't come loose since 2008 when I installed it on my Yamaha RSMV. The radio cradle fits on the swivel mount.

I put the power adapter inside the fairing and wired it to the 12v Aux port wiring.

The antenna sits on top of a home made mount attached to my GPS on the right side of the handlebars. The wiring is fed down the bars, into the fairing and back up to the antenna.

The audio is fed thru a mini stereo extension cable plugged into the Aux adapter inside the left lower pouch.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I considered the RAM mount but my phone sits in it for navigation use and I didn't want to clutter the space anymore with another mount. That was just personal though.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I looked at the bars but did not want to drop the coin on a water resistant unit or have the need to worry about one getting wet.
I mounted a unit in the left lower on my XCT and can reach it while riding if I really feel the need to change the station. I used the standard car mount and commercial velcro to keep it in place at the front of the compartment which allows additional room for EZpass, kickstand puck and a phone behind it with extra room. I used a dockboss adapter from the iPod plug to get the audio under the auxiliary function on the radio. This also allows a way to charge and play from a non Apple phone or audio source. The antenna I routed up under the front fairing so that it is hidden and gets best reception. I have a steel mount for an amplified siren that is a good sized ground plane as well. I used a standard magnetic mount automotive antenna.

Only real complaint I have is in the unit I used the antenna plug can vibrate out at times, older unit and antenna and it may just be wearing out over having an actual issue, "fixed" with a simple rubber band.

All in all it isn't as nice as the factory victory setup but I only spend $30 to get the dockboss so I am content. And if I loose an area with signal I can still stream from my phone app or music library.

·
Banned
471 Posts
I'm thinking of getting satellite radio on the CCT.....here comes the stupid part....what do I need to do to accomplish this?
TIA
1) Go to the app store on your smart phone and download the sirius app. Pay for the subscription

2) Buy a CableJive dockBoss air Bluetooth adapter for 30-pin dock. Follow the directions and hook it up to your 30 pin plug in the saddlebag.

3) Pair your phone with the dockboss.

4) Pick a sirius station you like.

5) Listen to satellite radio.

Mission accomplished....

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I looked at the bars but did not want to drop the coin on a water resistant unit or have the need to worry about one getting wet.
Sandwich baggies make an excellent water cover ... or, be like me and never ride in rain LOL (well that's not totally true)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll post pics either this evening or the weekend.

I took the swivel mount from the kit and glued it to a flat-topped RAM mount. I used Gorilla Glue. It hasn't come loose since 2008 when I installed it on my Yamaha RSMV. The radio cradle fits on the swivel mount.

I put the power adapter inside the fairing and wired it to the 12v Aux port wiring.

The antenna sits on top of a home made mount attached to my GPS on the right side of the handlebars. The wiring is fed down the bars, into the fairing and back up to the antenna.

The audio is fed thru a mini stereo extension cable plugged into the Aux adapter inside the left lower pouch.
Pics would be very helpful!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1) Go to the app store on your smart phone and download the sirius app. Pay for the subscription

2) Buy a CableJive dockBoss air Bluetooth adapter for 30-pin dock. Follow the directions and hook it up to your 30 pin plug in the saddlebag.

Mission accomplished....
I googled "CableJive dockBoss air Bluetooth adapter for 30-pin dock".....all I see mentioned is IPod and I Phone....I don't have either....I'm just confused about this process....thanks....but I think I understand what you were telling me.

·
Banned
471 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I bought the Victory factory XM radio a few years ago at a fantastic price. The subscription is under $100 annually. But I don't think I'd go that route again and may let my subscription expire when it's up in December. I find I use the iHeart radio app on my iPhone most of the time now. In fact I use the iHeart radio app wherever I am for work as well. I like the local radio station and wherever I am, I get updates on my local news and weather.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

·
Banned
471 Posts
Ok...saw this on their site but I still don't understand where the music actually comes from....I guess somewhere in/on my phone?
From my original post:

Mission accomplished....

It is very simple....

·
Registered
569 Posts
From my original post:

Mission accomplished....

It is very simple....
. This also works if you have music stored on your phone. However if you do not have cell service(data) you will lose your sirius signal through your phone.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Here is my set up: It works for me and the sound is great. First I Attached the antennae to the fairing under the windshield and ran the wire into the fairing along the edge of the windshield and pushed it in with a plastic body tool. I removed the speaker grill and found the wire and pulled it through. Then I fed the wire from the speaker box through the back of the fairing/dash where the wire magically appeared at the triple tree. I ran it down the wiring harness to the lower and removed a few screws. That enabled me to feed the antennae wire into the lower. The Sirius unit comes with a cigarette lighter adapter power plug. On the back of the Sirius unit there is a plug for a 3.5 mm (headset style). The August Bluetooth adapter plugs into the IPOD 30 pin connector and the 3.5 mm plug on it plugs into the Sirius unit. Plug the power cord and antennae in and your done. I used some hook and loop (velcro) to hold it in place in the lower. Put your radio on Auxiliary...done. You can also play music from your phone to the Bluetooth adapter.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts