Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Always being fond of Yamaha's and owning a Warrior. I always just referred to it as just a Yamaha Warrior never a Road Star Warrior. The whole Star sub line was always unneeded confusion. Like the Star Bolt if I was talking about it I would refer to it as a Yamaha Bolt. I say good for Yamaha for putting it all back under the Yamaha name.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I never understood the whole star thing either. I have never heard anybody refer to a yamaha motorcycle as a "star".

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Way back in 1996 Yamaha came out with a bike they called the Royal Star but everyone else called the "Royal Car". It was designed to be a "high end" alternative line for Yamaha like Acura is for Honda automobiles or Lexus is for Toyota. Dealers had to buy an additional franchise and were required to have a separate showroom.
It was powered by a detuned Vmax engine that made about 60 horsepower at the rear wheel.
They seemed to think that changing the name to Star (something less Japanese) would entice American buyers (Harley-Davidson Owners) into the showrooms. It didn't work.:devil

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
Dodge did the same thing with their Ram line of trucks. They are not Dodge Ram anymore, they are just Ram Trucks now.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yeah, just a lot of marketing mumbo-jumbo. I doubt tons of people were ever aware that "Star" was it's own company, and referred to them as Yamahas.

As for "Ram" Heh.. I noticed this immediately in the ads because I spent the majority of my adult life in the car biz.

Soooo your "Dodge" label was perceived so poorly in the marketplace that you had to drop it? Yeesh..

Reactions: broggyr

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Soooo your "Dodge" label was perceived so poorly in the marketplace that you had to drop it? Yeesh..
I think it had more to do with the Corporate Average Fuel Economy requirement. I remember the year before the change that Dodge stopped production on Ram trucks a month early to avoid being fined for not meeting the CAFE limit.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was always slightly confused with the whole Star thing. In my mind it was simply Yamaha. Back in `99 it was a toss up for me to purchase the Venture or the Valk. I had scheduled a test ride of the Venture in advance - from a hundred miles away. The day came and they told me they sold the Venture. I went across town to the Honda shop and procured the Valk - sans test ride. I did kinda like the retro dash on the Venture. Tape deck and all.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you can't dodge it...

I always "knew"they we just (just?) Yamahas with a funny name. I'm more interested in older Yamahas anyway. What is in a name.... Oh yea, I figured the Fix It Again Tony/Chrysler guys were trying to shake the "If you can't Dodge it, Ram it!" moniker and just decided to Ram everything. Just sayin':grin

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I think the whole Star name vs Yamaha was a ploy to make people think it was an upgraded bike or something. As mentioned like the Acura-Lexus thing.
As for the RAM, yea when the Italians bought out Dalmer chrysler they changed the name. Could be something to do with the cafe thing. Might also be a positioning to sell off the truck line somewhere down the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts