Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(I said that in my best Al Pacino voice)

I picked her up a couple of weeks ago, which gave me enough time to put it through its' paces, and enough information to make an honest 'first-ride' report.

First, I want to say thanks to everyone in this forum that has taken the time answer my questions, and offer advice on the bike. You all have definitely helped me out before and after the purchase.

For starters I have named her 'Christine', after the movie (1958 Plymouth Fury). She's big, fast, red, and virtually indestructible.

So, here is my first-ever motorcycle review. Starting from the front and working rearward...

Tires
Dunlop. Have zero experience with them. I’ve had Shinko, which last forever but to seem to track everything (grooves, cracks, tar snakes, and not that great in the wet), and Avon which do not last very long, but man, they stick to the road in all kinds of weather.

Fairing
Really adds class to the bike. Blocks most of the wind off my hands, but I really won’t know until my first cold ride. I do like having all the convenience of the gauges in it.

Windscreen
Yeah, the stock one is of no use, at all. I ordered a 22” CeeBailey windshield which I will put on as soon as it arrives.

Speaking of wind, I’ll be searching for a good set of lower fork deflectors as soon as I return. I saw a CCT in the showroom that a very nice set that hooks to the highway bars, so those are my preference.

Dash
Has e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g, I could ever want on a scoot. Never had cruise, gear indicator, trip meters, the whole nine yards. Probably the thing I like the most is the fuel displays; level, estimated range, and average MPG. No more worrying about if I can make to the next stop before switching to reserve. (I’ve yet to figure out how much farther I can go when the low-fuel light comes on.

The things I like the least (though still cool to have); Radio – not a huge fan of listening to music when I ride; Timer – haven’t found a true purpose for it, unless I want to time something I am cooking on the engine.

Engine
106 Cubic Inches! Biggest, most powerful one I have ridden, much less owned.

Holy jet engine, Batman. That thing whines like a jet when you hit the starter button until it starts up.

Holy heatwave, Batman. That thing puts out a T-O-N of heat. When you are moving, you can hardly feel it, but as soon as you come to a stop, you can tell right away. Now, it will make a helluva heater in the winter, even here in southern Arizona. Summer, on the other hand – yeesh.

Holy horsepower, Batman. When you need the thing to move, just a little twist-o-the-wrist, and she jumps. No more winding it up to merge with freeway traffic, and jumping out of the way of cagers on their cell phones.

Floorboards
Those aren't floorboards, they are more like surfboards! I can put my feet in all kinds of positions, fully stretch my legs, and still have room left over.
I was thinking I would want to get highway pegs for the bars, but heck, I can’t even reach them.

Exhaust
Another source of high-heat. There has been a couple of times when I’ve put my feet down, ever-so-briefly, touched the pipes. Good thing I only wear jeans when I ride.

Saddle
Pretty darn comfortable, as stock seats go. I have a driver backrest that I will be installing before I head out on my trip. OldDad recommended that, so I went with it and ordered one.

Seeing as how that is a two-up seat, I figured having a nice backrest for the few times the missus will riding with me, would score me some major points. And having a quick-release is just icing on the cake.

Picked up a luggage rack (not OEM) on eBay and putting that on before I head out as well.

Saddlebags
Holy BatCave, Batman. Those things are cavernous. I can stuff all kinds of useless stuff in them, and still have room for the important things, like spices when I am grilling something on the motor.

I do have one concern; they set right on top of the exhaust and everything inside them do get quite warm. I hope there is a heat shield built into them, to keep them from melting.

The ride
• She is a real head-turner. Even had Harley riders come over and complement me on her.
• Man, she rides like a Cadillac compared to my Shadow. She is solid at freeway speeds, with no effects from the wind at all. You hardly notice when you pass a semi-truck, unlike my Shadow when I would hold on for dear life.
• Rough roads and speed bumps hardly jostle her at all. I picked up a hand pump to adjust the air shock (air shock! How cool!) when I load up the bike for the trip.
• 6-speed tranny is totally awesome. Found out I don’t really need #6 until I’m cruising over 70 mph for a long distance.
• She’s a dream in the twisties, as well as riding on the freeway. But, slow-walking that thing is going to take a lot of practice. Not super stable a very low speeds (for me, yet), and backing her up while trying to turn her is no-no.
• Just turned 1200 miles on her in only two weeks. (getting her ready for my upcoming 3K mile trip)

Thanks again to every one.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Your pics are not working.:frown

Seems like you're getting her figured out.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Welcome from Florida! Enjoy it!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
@JC In AZ I'm glad you are enjoying "Christine" and may you have many years together.
All I have to add is before you jump to start adding all kinds of barn door wind protection you better do some research. Every XC is different, but if you have "hot" one ...If you think you're feeling heat now, just you wait until you block or change some of that flow to the engine and you.:mad: Riding in AZ especially.....you have no idea what you might be getting yourself into.
I live and ride mostly in New England and the northeast where I'm sure summer temps are not even close to AZ temps but before I figured out what is what and how to properly cool my bike putting on big "wind control" like lowers, fork deflectors etc. caused me heat stroke twice and a scalded burnt calf once.....not to mention many uncomfortable rides.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
(I said that in my best Al Pacino voice)

I picked her up a couple of weeks ago, which gave me enough time to put it through its' paces, and enough information to make an honest 'first-ride' report.

First, I want to say thanks to everyone in this forum that has taken the time answer my questions, and offer advice on the bike. You all have definitely helped me out before and after the purchase.

For starters I have named her 'Christine', after the movie (1958 Plymouth Fury). She's big, fast, red, and virtually indestructible.

So, here is my first-ever motorcycle review. Starting from the front and working rearward...

Tires
Dunlop. Have zero experience with them. I’ve had Shinko, which last forever but to seem to track everything (grooves, cracks, tar snakes, and not that great in the wet), and Avon which do not last very long, but man, they stick to the road in all kinds of weather.

Fairing
Really adds class to the bike. Blocks most of the wind off my hands, but I really won’t know until my first cold ride. I do like having all the convenience of the gauges in it.

Windscreen
Yeah, the stock one is of no use, at all. I ordered a 22” CeeBailey windshield which I will put on as soon as it arrives.

Speaking of wind, I’ll be searching for a good set of lower fork deflectors as soon as I return. I saw a CCT in the showroom that a very nice set that hooks to the highway bars, so those are my preference.

Dash
Has e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g, I could ever want on a scoot. Never had cruise, gear indicator, trip meters, the whole nine yards. Probably the thing I like the most is the fuel displays; level, estimated range, and average MPG. No more worrying about if I can make to the next stop before switching to reserve. (I’ve yet to figure out how much farther I can go when the low-fuel light comes on.

The things I like the least (though still cool to have); Radio – not a huge fan of listening to music when I ride; Timer – haven’t found a true purpose for it, unless I want to time something I am cooking on the engine.

Engine
106 Cubic Inches! Biggest, most powerful one I have ridden, much less owned.

Holy jet engine, Batman. That thing whines like a jet when you hit the starter button until it starts up.

Holy heatwave, Batman. That thing puts out a T-O-N of heat. When you are moving, you can hardly feel it, but as soon as you come to a stop, you can tell right away. Now, it will make a helluva heater in the winter, even here in southern Arizona. Summer, on the other hand – yeesh.

Holy horsepower, Batman. When you need the thing to move, just a little twist-o-the-wrist, and she jumps. No more winding it up to merge with freeway traffic, and jumping out of the way of cagers on their cell phones.

Floorboards
Those aren't floorboards, they are more like surfboards! I can put my feet in all kinds of positions, fully stretch my legs, and still have room left over.
I was thinking I would want to get highway pegs for the bars, but heck, I can’t even reach them.

Exhaust
Another source of high-heat. There has been a couple of times when I’ve put my feet down, ever-so-briefly, touched the pipes. Good thing I only wear jeans when I ride.

Saddle
Pretty darn comfortable, as stock seats go. I have a driver backrest that I will be installing before I head out on my trip. OldDad recommended that, so I went with it and ordered one.

Seeing as how that is a two-up seat, I figured having a nice backrest for the few times the missus will riding with me, would score me some major points. And having a quick-release is just icing on the cake.

Picked up a luggage rack (not OEM) on eBay and putting that on before I head out as well.

Saddlebags
Holy BatCave, Batman. Those things are cavernous. I can stuff all kinds of useless stuff in them, and still have room for the important things, like spices when I am grilling something on the motor.

I do have one concern; they set right on top of the exhaust and everything inside them do get quite warm. I hope there is a heat shield built into them, to keep them from melting.

The ride
• She is a real head-turner. Even had Harley riders come over and complement me on her.
• Man, she rides like a Cadillac compared to my Shadow. She is solid at freeway speeds, with no effects from the wind at all. You hardly notice when you pass a semi-truck, unlike my Shadow when I would hold on for dear life.
• Rough roads and speed bumps hardly jostle her at all. I picked up a hand pump to adjust the air shock (air shock! How cool!) when I load up the bike for the trip.
• 6-speed tranny is totally awesome. Found out I don’t really need #6 until I’m cruising over 70 mph for a long distance.
• She’s a dream in the twisties, as well as riding on the freeway. But, slow-walking that thing is going to take a lot of practice. Not super stable a very low speeds (for me, yet), and backing her up while trying to turn her is no-no.
• Just turned 1200 miles on her in only two weeks. (getting her ready for my upcoming 3K mile trip)

Thanks again to every one.

Does anybody remember Dill? This guy reminds me of Dill....

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Welcome from TN JC In AZ. Do you have a CC, Magnum or a CCT?

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Put on more

Sounds like you are having a great time with the new bike but you should really put on more than just jeans.

"Good thing I only wear jeans when I ride.":grin

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
So tell us what you REALLY think of your bike. :) Sounds liked you're hooked on it. Many happy (s)miles to you two.

·
Premium Member
13,658 Posts
Does anybody remember Dill? This guy reminds me of Dill....
Dillpickle? Good catch; he sure does. Very into the details. Not a bad thing; just noteworthy.

Maybe we will get some cool stories too.

Missed you around here Travis. Good to see you popping in when you can. :)

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your pics are not working.:frown

Seems like you're getting her figured out.
Thanks, VicVisionBulldog. Seems like the linking to a url isn't working, so I added it at the bottom.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What did you get? Most people put the year and model in their sig line. Some pictures would be great too.
Thanks, BBob. URL link wasn't working, so I added photo to the bottom. And added the year and model to my signature.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@JC In AZ I'm glad you are enjoying "Christine" and may you have many years together.
All I have to add is before you jump to start adding all kinds of barn door wind protection you better do some research. Every XC is different, but if you have "hot" one ...If you think you're feeling heat now, just you wait until you block or change some of that flow to the engine and you.:mad: Riding in AZ especially.....you have no idea what you might be getting yourself into.
I live and ride mostly in New England and the northeast where I'm sure summer temps are not even close to AZ temps but before I figured out what is what and how to properly cool my bike putting on big "wind control" like lowers, fork deflectors etc. caused me heat stroke twice and a scalded burnt calf once.....not to mention many uncomfortable rides.
Thanks, PaiN. Very valid points you have made. Perhaps I will wait on the lowers. I certainly want to avoid getting heat stroke. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like you are having a great time with the new bike but you should really put on more than just jeans.

"Good thing I only wear jeans when I ride.":grin
Thanks, Dwayne. Yes sir, I am really enjoying it. I do wear more than jeans. LOL.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So tell us what you REALLY think of your bike. :) Sounds liked you're hooked on it. Many happy (s)miles to you two.
Thanks, RICZ. Completely hooked on her.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts