Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to get the wife another bike. One of her prior bikes was a Yamaha Raider (traded in for a Softail Deluxe). The Deluxe is no longer in the picture and we had been looking at sport touring bikes. In the end, she keeps commenting on her old Raider. Several times I've pointed her towards several Victory cruisers but to no avail. So tonight we are going to look at another Raider we will no doubt end up buying.

The only gripe I had about the bike was the oil change. As much as a pain as a Harley, a bit worse in some ways. The sheer power the bike provides and the resulting riding pleasure makes that chore worth it.

·
13,262 Posts
you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink
good luck on what ever she wants

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
32 years of marriage here is my advise

Happy Wife Happy Life. cheers

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Get her the Raider. One extra plug wont break your arm if thats what she wants. And because the raider has gear lube in the primary its a much quiter ride without the back lash of the Vic primary gears. Engine oil in the trans, and motor.
thumb upcheers

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
32 years of marriage here is my advise

Happy Wife Happy Life. cheers
The Queen expects to be chauffeured by someone she has stuff in common with so there is good conversation and a shared experience. Mostly though she settles for me.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
http://www.jsonline.com/business/79067122.html

Click for new generation of DIYs.
Get to know your bike.:ltr:thumb up
You'd think that the lack of the ability of the general public to do anything for themselves would lead to higher paying jobs for those that do. But it's still the money shufflers who rule our financial roost.

I have nothing against fiddling with things, but I really appreciate when a designer makes it easy on me. Kaw and Vic both seem to have the concept down. Changing the oil in my Warrior wasn't rocket science, but with its dry sump it was a huge PIA compared to the Vic.

As to the primary, my Warrior was nothing more than a fancy bicycle chain running in a bath of oil. Not sure how a chain that stretches over time has less slop than gears that are meshed together.

·
Registered
774 Posts
You'd think that the lack of the ability of the general public to do anything for themselves would lead to higher paying jobs for those that do. But it's still the money shufflers who rule our financial roost.

I have nothing against fiddling with things, but I really appreciate when a designer makes it easy on me. Kaw and Vic both seem to have the concept down. Changing the oil in my Warrior wasn't rocket science, but with its dry sump it was a huge PIA compared to the Vic.

As to the primary, my Warrior was nothing more than a fancy bicycle chain running in a bath of oil. Not sure how a chain that stretches over time has less slop than gears that are meshed together.
Then why so much slop in the vic. primary? And the new ones are supposed to have 60% less slop. GM engineers?:ltr::ltr:cheers

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Then why so much slop in the vic. primary? And the new ones are supposed to have 60% less slop. GM engineers?:ltr::ltr:cheers
To be honest, lack of lash is one of my favorite features of my Vic. You want some lash, I've got a FJR I'd like you to demo...

·
Registered
690 Posts
Get her the Raider. One extra plug wont break your arm if thats what she wants. And because the raider has gear lube in the primary its a much quiter ride without the back lash of the Vic primary gears. Engine oil in the trans, and motor.
thumb upcheers
Do I sense you wish you still had your Raider ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
It could be worse.

My wife's bike is a GL1800 Gold Wing.
I'm just the pilot.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
http://www.jsonline.com/business/79067122.html

Click for new generation of DIYs.
Get to know your bike.:ltr:thumb up
Well, that explains why I can't find anyone under 40 who wants to work in a tire shop. Problem is, I can't find anyone OVER 40 who'll work in a tire shop for 2/3s the wages the job deserves.

I'll tell you, teaching a 20-year-old a mechanical/technical trade, even one as simple as oil changes and tire service, has gotten to be a real chore. They'd rather dink around on a damn computer all day (I grouse as I dink around on a damn computer...it also should be noted I will be the ripe old age of 32 this November) than learn to work with their hands.

·
Registered
110 Posts
.... and that explains why I almost never take one of my bikes to a shop.

We have a tire changer, as well.

;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the Raider is out. It was a sweet bike and had a lot of extras. After she rode it and we got home, she took the XCT out for a spin to compare and concluded the rake on the Raider is no longer to her liking. Now it's back to the BMW R1200RT unless something unseats it. I told her we need to have her ride a CR to see how she likes the handling on it. I'm sure it's steering is a little lighter.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Man there was a smoking deal on a CR out here in Scottsdale, lowered, blinged out, and custom beautiful paint job but a little on the feminine side. I point this out because with just a little work a CR is a perfect bike for a woman to ride. BMW is nice too but pipes are way too quiet.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Man there was a smoking deal on a CR out here in Scottsdale, lowered, blinged out, and custom beautiful paint job but a little on the feminine side. I point this out because with just a little work a CR is a perfect bike for a woman to ride.
Any bike is a good bike for a woman if they know how to ride. The RT sits very tall. Even with the seat in it's low position, I was always on my tip toes paddling the thing around, even with a passenger and bags crammed full of luggage. Its high seat height is my only real complaint about it. The RT is my favorite sport tourer. I wouldn't trade my XR for one though...

BMW is nice too but pipes are way too quiet.
You need to work the engine. I toured the Ducati plant aboard a BMW 1200RT. Those guys were all getting off their shift as we were leaving. They all fired up their Ducatis and it sounded marvelous. The Beemers sound like sewing machines at low rpm, but they sound great higher in their powerband. The Vic's sound reminds me of the RT a lot in the 3-4k rpm area.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
The XR with a windshield will not handle any better than a XC because the thick plexiglass weighs almost as much as the plastic fairing does.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The only gripe I had about the bike was the oil change. As much as a pain as a Harley, a bit worse in some ways. The sheer power the bike provides and the resulting riding pleasure makes that chore worth it.[/QUOTE]

The vegas oil/filter change is a joy to do :D
GSX 1400, yoshi cyclone 4-1. Oil filter sat behind downpipes. It was a case of loosening the downpies or the method i did, removing oil line conn and moving oil cooler out the way. KTM 525 EXC 1 paper filter 2 screen filters every 3rd oil change.
thumb up oil filter position :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts