Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got really lucky today and scored this huge heavy duty lift. I was told a guy in Kansas makes these but I have no idea. It is air over hydraulic lift that works great. Im going to modify it to have a rear drop down panel on the floor for rear tire access. I also need to build a small entry ramp as well..no big deal. He wanted $500 firm after it had been on craigs list for a few months at $600. He mentioned "or trade" I offered up a Marlin gold trigger 30/30 and he took it. I only paid $450 for that rifle years ago. Im very excited now to not have to work off the floor. Just thought I would share.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
Looks cool mate, keep us updated on your progress & fab pictures ..

Reactions: OkieHoss

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Great score!

·
Registered
522 Posts
You're going to love it. I have a rear drop out on my lift, and to be honest I've never used it. I've had the rear wheel off my Cross Country and my Wide Glide and didn't use it on either one. I was going to use it once but at the last minute I didn't like the idea of the rear wheel just falling away, working by myself. The rear wheel gets pretty heavy when you have one hand pulling out the axle. I was able to lift the rear high enough to slide the wheel in place on an angle...while the table was there to support it while I lined everything up. I wanted to use a piece of PVC long enough to hold both axle spacers in place so I didn't have to fumble with them but I didn't have anything on hand so I used a deep socket to hold the right side axle spacer in place and let the axle push it out as I slid the axle in.

I like the front wheel drop out on this K&L lift. This lift is a serious piece of equipment. The front wheel comes down at the 1:57 mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roNDAn2aOms#t=150

Tech23

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Great looking lift O.H. :clap:

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Good deal man. I can chime in here on the drop out also. I had a Diect lift without the drop and just used a jack to lift the rear of the bike while the front was tied down with ratchet straps. I also had a Handy lift with the drop out. It was kind of a pain. Once you pull the panel out its kind of a bitch do drop the rear wheel by yourself. Especially when you have physical limitations as I do. I just picked this Diect lift the other day. 400 off eBay and the guy was only an hour away. Even has the table extensions which is great since I'm doing a trike conversion.

Attachments

Reactions: grh450 and OkieHoss

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
DirtyDan; great buy! I guess many of us are getting to that age where a full lift is no longer a convenient want. It's a necessary need.

For the guys not using the rear wheel drop out; are you raising the back end way up in the air to get the wheel/tire out? Do you loosen the tie straps as you raise it higher so it doesn't compress the front forks?

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Haven't done it yet on the Vic. On my HD I pulled the fender. That also means pulling the top shock bolts so the swingarm drops. I never loosened tension on the ratchet straps. They were hooked to the top of the frame where engine guard bolts on. I'll report back when I pull the Vic's ass. Sometime this week.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
pull the lower shock or link bolt, the wheel will drop far enough to clear the fender.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input on the drop out. Im not doing that now..I remove lower link bolt on drive belt side and tire clears everything. It was not to bad on the floor but I had to do everything step by step and be very slow and careful not just for the bike but for me.. I can only imagine how much easier it will be for me now. Im a retired Marine with some disability's and i need all the help i can get to keep this train going..

Thanks for all the good comments and help that you great bunch of dudes have givin me.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I got really lucky today and scored this huge heavy duty lift. I was told a guy in Kansas makes these but I have no idea. It is air over hydraulic lift that works great. Im going to modify it to have a rear drop down panel on the floor for rear tire access. I also need to build a small entry ramp as well..no big deal. He wanted $500 firm after it had been on craigs list for a few months at $600. He mentioned "or trade" I offered up a Marlin gold trigger 30/30 and he took it. I only paid $450 for that rifle years ago. Im very excited now to not have to work off the floor. Just thought I would share.
Nice....that Marlin $398 brand new at Walmart these days.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Another question. When removing the rear wheel; do you remove one of the mufflers or do you disconnect the shock and link?
I have a XCT and recently took off the rear wheel in order to get new tires. I'm not going to pay a shop to take the wheels off when I can easily do that myself. I then took the front and back wheels along with the new shoes to an independent shop. About $60 later both wheels had new rubber.

Anyway, I jack the bike up on a bike lift. Slide my home-made wood stand under it and around the jack, lower the jack out of the way and the bike rests very securely on the stand about 20" off the ground. I then put the jack sideways under the rear wheel. I then followed the procedure in the service manual which involved removing the shock bolt and the neighboring bolt on the other "half" of the suspension system. This allows the wheel to drop below the pipes in order to get a socket on the axle nut and also to allow the axle to slide out. Before pushing the axle out, I raise the jack to take the weight of the wheel/tire. Then up just a smidge higher to try to get the wheel/tire in a neutral position relative to the swingarm. Then out came the axle pretty easily. I then lower the jack and the tire comes down easily.

Hope this helps.

G'day,

Vinish

·
13,262 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts