1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
So earlier I was leaving a friends apartment and scraped a speed bump ( I was told by another member not to worry about it, and I'm sorry for asking again.) and am concerned with the scrape. Should I worry about this? Thanks in advanced for all feedback.

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/45800817_2215854938668410_8618113206709125120_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=784f1612dbe7cac75cacc99fe8e6e9eb&oe=5C83FDB1
My Jackpot is very low from factory, and i scraped many times, the speedbumps are just too high here .... So i scraped the bottom many times

I would like to make a bottom engine cover out of stainless steel round bar ....
1 in the center & 2 half way the block .... But i never got arround to it

So if it does not leak then just do not worry

I always stand-up with my feet on the ground at really high speed bumps .... Thats how high they can be here

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I double checked it and it seem to not be leaking anything. My brother put a good point out that there would not be oil going where that bolt is.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
You don't say what bike you have, so I can only assume it's a Cross bike. If it is, I have a Tiger Tank hurky skid plate for sale cheap. You don't even tell us where you are, so I can't say if I'd deliver it or not.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Dunno if that skid plate fits your HB, since it came off a XC.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
You should measure the SAG on your rear shock also ...

It is easy to do

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
13,002 Posts
Now put it in your memory bank and go slow over speed bumps.
Just keep your eyes open

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now put it in your memory bank and go slow over speed bumps.
Just keep your eyes open

I feel like an idiot I have been riding for 7 years now and for some reason I seem to be doing dumb stuff on this bilke. Tonight leaving work speed bump I was like ah not this time and didn't clear it all the way and caught the side of it and it kinda pushed me over to the right. The tires were find I just don't know why all of the sudden I am having issues.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
So earlier I was leaving a friends apartment and scraped a speed bump ( I was told by another member not to worry about it, and I'm sorry for asking again.) and am concerned with the scrape. Should I worry about this? Thanks in advanced for all feedback.

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/45800817_2215854938668410_8618113206709125120_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=784f1612dbe7cac75cacc99fe8e6e9eb&oe=5C83FDB1
No. Just go over them at minimum speed, like 2 MPH.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
I feel like an idiot I have been riding for 7 years now and for some reason I seem to be doing dumb stuff on this bilke. Tonight leaving work speed bump I was like ah not this time and didn't clear it all the way and caught the side of it and it kinda pushed me over to the right. The tires were find I just don't know why all of the sudden I am having issues.
Again i will say:

I always stand-up with my feet on the ground at really high speed bumps .... Thats how high they can be here where i live, also on/off the ferries ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
You go where you are looking. Look at that pothole and you will hit it. Just saying.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Also consider that if you add a skid plate your bike will be even lower and drag sooner.
So will lowering the bike. I was cruising slowly through a motel parking lot I was unfamiliar with and hit a high speed bump I didn't see due to all the paint worn off it and my attention being elsewhere looking for a parking place.

When the bike hit the skid plate it stunned me. If it wasn't there I'm sure I would have cracked or broken the oil pan part of the engine ruining the engine. I figure that skid plate paid for itself 10 times over plus a lot of downtime and effort on my part and the nightmare and expense of getting the bike home.

That was on the XC. I really wish there was a skid plate available for my KP but at least the KP sits a bit higher and it's not so heavy so if it comes down on a speed bump it won't hit so hard. My XC is also lowered 1" on the back end so that might translate to .5" in the engine area.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I new a old drinking buddy that blow out the transmission on a 74 sporty. I got to see the damage before and after. He had the pieces welded back into the case and put it all back together. Couldn't believe it when he got it back on the road.

Wisconsin Superior Motorcycle Services has some of the best case/ head welders in the business. That was about 20 years ago for me though.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
OUCH! OOH! OUCH! The following videos were also painful to watch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts