Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Rather than buying the Sealmate, just get some old 35 mm film negatives, cut a hook like shape in them, and use these. I have seen them work for several people.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
8,945 Posts
I cut mine out of a plastic milk bottle.
Works great!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,945 Posts
Tried cutting one out of a beer bottle but the scissors had trouble cutting the glass.
What's the secret?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Tried cutting one out of a beer bottle but the scissors had trouble cutting the glass.
What's the secret?
Ah Young grasshopper.....one must use a beer can not a bottle

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone had success using the tool on a cross bike?

I know about using different materials to make the tool. I would like to know if anyone was able to insert the tool of choice between the seal and the fork on a Cross Bike

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Has anyone had success using the tool on a cross bike?

I know about using different materials to make the tool. I would like to know if anyone was able to insert the tool of choice between the seal and the fork on a Cross Bike

Thanks

Sorry for getting the thread off topic...but there really is no reason why the the Seal Mate would not work on Vics, there's nothing special about the front suspension or its seals.

·
Premium Member
8,945 Posts
Yeah once you pry the dust seal away from the real seal underneath...there is a bit of an art to using them but watch a few vids on YouTube and have a go.
Lots of seals get replaced when 5 mins with a home made sealmate will fix them.

No way I'd be cutting one out of a beer can though, too much potential for damaging the seal.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you paiN

It's just that a friend of mine tried and could not get the tool between the seal and fork tube on his Cross Roads. I would very much like to hear from someone who has accomplished this on a cross bike so I will know if it would work on my bike should the need arise.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah once you pry the dust seal away from the real seal underneath...there is a bit of an art to using them but watch a few vids on YouTube and have a go.
Lots of seals get replaced when 5 mins with a home made sealmate will fix them.

No way I'd be cutting one out of a beer can though, too much potential for damaging the seal.

I hear you about not using a beer can. That would surely cut the seal.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

·
Premium Member
8,945 Posts
Thank you paiN

It's just that a friend of mine tried and could not get the tool between the seal and fork tube on his Cross Roads. I would very much like to hear from someone who has accomplished this on a cross bike so I will know if it would work on my bike should the need arise.

Did he pry the dust seal away first?
Once that's slid out of the way the sealmate needs to be pushed past the outer lip of the actual seal, there is resistance but push and it'll slide in, it's only gonna go in about 1/4 to 3/8" anyway.
Then ya gotta turn it a coupla times and angle it back a bit as you withdraw it. Bringing any crap with it.
Wipe clean the bounce the forks and repeat to make sure you got it all.
Wipe clean and bounce again to restore the seal.
I use both hands and a rag to help rotate the sealmate once it's in there, gives a bit more grip to a slippery job.

As for the beer can, drink one before to help with determination, and one after to reward yourself:smile

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
I took a plastic bottle and cut one... It works well, but in my case I still had to replace the seals...

Andre
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I hope everyone knows I was in no way serious about using a beer can or any other thin metal implement......

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
After changing the oil and seals in my forks, one leaks. Tried shoving a MotionPro seal cleaner in, but it appears the seal is so tight its preventing it. Although that cleaner is thin, I think 35mm film is thinner and I will try that suggestion. I'll also try a plastic toothpick device called RotoPoint. They are very long, pointy, tapered and thin. If I can get one or two of those in, that will pave the way for a cleaner tool. Maybe. I hope.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After changing the oil and seals in my forks, one leaks. Tried shoving a MotionPro seal cleaner in, but it appears the seal is so tight its preventing it. Although that cleaner is thin, I think 35mm film is thinner and I will try that suggestion. I'll also try a plastic toothpick device called RotoPoint. They are very long, pointy, tapered and thin. If I can get one or two of those in, that will pave the way for a cleaner tool. Maybe. I hope.
Please let us know how you make out.

Where do you get 35mm film these days?

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Not to be done in the living room. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts