Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the prevailing opinion on the best seat, on a [2012 XR] for those of us on the larger end of the scale ? 6'1" 265 .....the stocker [heated] isn't horrible.. yet most things can be improved on.

Sargent, an aftermarket seat I have used & been happy with on other motorcycles , does not make one for any Vic that I know of.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
I have an Ultimate on my 2013 XCT. Others here have had good luck with the Russel Day-Long.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an Ultimate on my 2013 XCT. Others here have had good luck with the Russel Day-Long.

I looked at the Ultimate Seat web-site...and for the XR they show seats ranging from $525 to $899....but reading the specs & options I see no explanation of why the price difference ?

Yes I know...call them. Just thought I'd ask here as well.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Ultimate only has one basic seat. Price goes up by adding options such as the back rest and rain cover.

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
I have learned to go to seat customizers and have the saddle tailored to fit my butt.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have learned to go to seat customizers and have the saddle tailored to fit my butt.

So...if I read you correctly ? You're suggesting that i ride down to Ultimate to be "fitted" as opposed to an over the phone purchase?

I admit I have never tried that...but the advantages do seem obvious.

I have owned Corbin & Sargent in the past, always had good luck with them. But Corbin lately...has been getting some bad reviews & Sargent does not make anything for Vic's.

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
So...if I read you correctly ? You're suggesting that i ride down to Ultimate to be "fitted" as opposed to an over the phone purchase?

I admit I have never tried that...but the advantages do seem obvious.

I have owned Corbin & Sargent in the past, always had good luck with them. But Corbin lately...has been getting some bad reviews & Sargent does not make anything for Vic's.
I have had terrible experiences with Corbin and will never recommend them. What I was suggesting was going to an independent MC saddle customizer. You might have to network riders and shops to learn where there is one in your area. The advantages are; you can have heat put in, select the cover material and color, select stitching.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had terrible experiences with Corbin and will never recommend them. What I was suggesting was going to an independent MC saddle customizer. You might have to network riders and shops to learn where there is one in your area. The advantages are; you can have heat put in, select the cover material and color, select stitching.

Well...on your suggestion I'll try locally again...but the last time I tried ?...there just was nothing closer than Tennessee , and guaranteeing a "build date" with them just sounded shaky ....so I went mail-order again.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would have to agree about having a custom saddle made. Over the years I've ridden with Mustang, Corbin and Russell saddles. The best saddle I've had was one I had custom made by a local shop. I'm picking up my new XC on Friday and already have an appointment to have the saddle done. My last saddle cost me $450 and worth every $ of it...

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
I would have to agree about having a custom saddle made. Over the years I've ridden with Mustang, Corbin and Russell saddles. The best saddle I've had was one I had custom made by a local shop. I'm picking up my new XC on Friday and already have an appointment to have the saddle done. My last saddle cost me $450 and worth every $ of it...
Vtwin,I go to Mr. Ed's Moto in Albany, do you have another customizer you go to?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Sargent doesn't build seats for the X bikes but they have recovered and rebuilt some.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Vtwin,I go to Mr. Ed's Moto in Albany, do you have another customizer you go to?
There's a guy off Hwy. 30 in Scappoose who's pretty well known for his saddles. He did my last one a few years back and I was very happy with it. I'll dig up his card and get the information to you if you want...

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
There's a guy off Hwy. 30 in Scappoose who's pretty well known for his saddles. He did my last one a few years back and I was very happy with it. I'll dig up his card and get the information to you if you want...
Pass it along to me whenever you have the time. Other local riders will benefit knowing about him. Thanks, Ric

·
Registered
471 Posts
after checking out both the Corbin and the Ultimate seat I decided to go with the Ultimate seat. While in Florida at the Volusia Victory dealer there was a XC with an Ultimate seat, the owner let me sit on it , it was very comfortable for the 5 minutes I sat there.
Corbin had nothing in stock and wasn't sure when they would have a Vic XC available. I originally wanted to find a local shop to tweak or rework my seat but I couldn't find anything around here (Albany, NY) one shop in Schenectady didn't want to work on a bike seat.
So I'll be back in Florida in a month and will pick up the Ultimate seat in Daytona.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sargent doesn't build seats for the X bikes but they have recovered and rebuilt some.
I might just give them a call. Have had two on BMW's and been pleased with both of them.

Locally, the custom upholsterers [that i have talked too] aren't interested in doing motorcycle work ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had my original seat about a year and hated it for trips over 50 miles.
I am 6'1", 240, and it was horrible. Sent it off for the Mean City Mod.
Modded seat was only moderately better. I was comfy up to 75 or 80 miles.
During Thunder Beach (Fall 14), Ultimate Seat had a booth set up and installed it for free and got a free seat cover. The Ultimate seat is FAR better that the previous seats.
I rode over 200 miles shortly after getting the seat and I was ready to go for more.
It only gets better with break in. The best part is it set me down, slightly back, and it's like riding a new bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts