Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a 2004 Gold Wing and a 2009 Royal Star Venture. Both have a wrap around trunk/backrest for the passenger and "grips" for them on each side of the seat. My wife and I went for a ride yesterday up some of the canyons around here and she felt "very exposed". Is there something I can put on the bike to help her feel more secure in the seat? I have already suggested bungie and duct tape. No go. :)

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I have had a 2004 Gold Wing and a 2009 Royal Star Venture. Both have a wrap around trunk/backrest for the passenger and "grips" for them on each side of the seat. My wife and I went for a ride yesterday up some of the canyons around here and she felt "very exposed". Is there something I can put on the bike to help her feel more secure in the seat? I have already suggested bungie and duct tape. No go. :)
Cuffs and chains. cheers

Did you take out the passenger hand hold from the middle of the seat? My wife holds onto that, and she's been a happy camper all along. That plus the Victory backrest keeps both of us happy.

·
Registered
372 Posts
There are some options available. Add the trunk or passenger backrest of you don't have them. And there are passenger grab handles available from Victory.

Rob

·
Registered
784 Posts
Vision or XCT? Vision is pretty "huggy", XCT not so much. Corbin and a few others sell passenger back rests that are "huggy", but not sure how it would look with the factory seat. Get on the phone and talk to some folks.
Check out local apholstery shops too. Shouldn't take much, and as long as they are in there they can shape the seat to he back, which should help a lot.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have the Vic hand grabs on mine and the girlfriend really likes them. If she didn't ride with me i would take them off.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Be easier to discuss solutions if you'd put your bike year and model somewhere in your info or signature.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Be easier to discuss solutions if you'd put your bike year and model somewhere in your info or signature.
You are correct sir!

I'll go out on a limb and say our OP is riding a XC or XR. My wife really likes the Vic Lock and Ride Backrest on our XC. She can lean back and feel secure with the mild wrap of the backrest. My wife is rather small. You may need to get a trunk if that's what your wife is used to.

On a different note...if your passenger feels unsecure on the back, she may need to relax a bit. My wife listens pretty darn good and accepted that she was creating some of the problems on the twistie roads by being tense. The tension caused her to work against me and the bike. Once she relaxed and went with me and the bike, she started to really enjoy the twistie roads.

·
Registered
837 Posts
My wife used to doze off on the back of my Ultra Classic. I reminded her it is a motorcycle and not a Lazy Boy! Tell her to put her arms around your waist like the old days and hang onnnnnnnnnnnnn! cheers

·
Registered
851 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
As magman noted, you should get the Vic passenger grab handles. These list for something like $250, but you can get them discounted a bit. Yeah, they're expensive, but they're the beefiest handles I've ever seen, and well worth the money, IMHO; my wife likes them. Also, if you ever tip over the bike, they provide a good place for you to grab onto, as you backward-butt-walk your bike upright. See my gallery (link below) for some pics.

We had a Valkyrie Interstate ( http://www.billanddot.com/valkyrie/ ) for seven years, and the slight wrap-around curvature of the trunk's backrest was about the same as on my XCT, so my wife is fine with the XCT (with the grab handles -- we had some aftermarket handles on the Valk, which weren't nearly as solid). On the Valk, we tried some passenger armrests for a while, but my wife decided that she didn't need them, and so I took them off.

So grab handles are your first step, and an important one.

If you have an XC, then you may want to pony up for the trunk. It's very expensive, but others have shopped around and saved hundreds on it. Of course, you may have a color-matching problem, requiring paint money.

If you have an XR, well, I don't really know what your options are for that, in terms of backrests and so forth.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WSPollack. I love those grab handles. Those are Victory's? I don't see them in the accessory catalog. By the way, I added my bike to my signature line. Sorry about that.

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
As magman noted, you should get the Vic passenger grab handles. These list for something like $250, but you can get them discounted a bit. Yeah, they're expensive, but they're the beefiest handles I've ever seen, and well worth the money, IMHO; my wife likes them. Also, if you ever tip over the bike, they provide a good place for you to grab onto, as you backward-butt-walk your bike upright. See my gallery (link below) for some pics.

We had a Valkyrie Interstate ( http://www.billanddot.com/valkyrie/ ) for seven years, and the slight wrap-around curvature of the trunk's backrest was about the same as on my XCT, so my wife is fine with the XCT (with the grab handles -- we had some aftermarket handles on the Valk, which weren't nearly as solid). On the Valk, we tried some passenger armrests for a while, but my wife decided that she didn't need them, and so I took them off.

So grab handles are your first step, and an important one.

If you have an XC, then you may want to pony up for the trunk. It's very expensive, but others have shopped around and saved hundreds on it. Of course, you may have a color-matching problem, requiring paint money.

If you have an XR, well, I don't really know what your options are for that, in terms of backrests and so forth.

Looks a lot more secure than the cushion I told my passenger to bring with her the first night I got back with the Victory Vegas Low complete with solo seat:)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
WSPollack. I love those grab handles. Those are Victory's? I don't see them in the accessory catalog. By the way, I added my bike to my signature line. Sorry about that.
Yep, official Victory, part # 2877480. See http://www.purepolaris.com/en-us/Victory/pages/detail.aspx?ItemID=2877480(PolarisPGACatalog) .

Turns out the list price is $300, not $250, but: A) still worth it, IMHO, and; B) I just checked Honda Toledo East (a frequent presence on this forum), and they have it at $251 (see http://www.hondaeasttoledo.com/default.asp?page=partsfinder )... plus, if you call them, I believe they give forum members an additional discount, and; C) there are other Vic dealers that may have low prices, too. (I got mine with the bike, with some Vic coupon for dealer credit or something, so I probably "paid" list price.)

Now, some notes:

1) I scanned and put up the installation page some time ago, because somebody needed it. Here's the page on my web site: http://www.billanddot.com/passenger-grabrail-instructions.pdf .

2) As I recall -- and this is going back a couple of years now -- the parts list has some bolt sizes and quantities reversed. So, common sense is needed to understand that longer bolts are for longer spacers, shorter are for shorter use, and like that.

3) There are some spacers that go in between the added metal backing plate and the bike. I found that one of the pliers -- see pic here -- in my toolbox made life much easier in terms of holding that in place, where your fingers can't really fit. If you have something like that, I recommend using it. (I take pics pretty much whenever I mess with the bike, in case I do a write-up afterward, if you were wondering why I have that pic lying around.)

4) There's a small hole in the right-side plate, just below where the chrome handle itself is attached. No one knows what that hole is for -- I've asked here and elsewhere.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts