Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started riding last year...took some good advice and bought a 750 Shadow to learn on and put about 6000 miles on it. Pretty much drove it daily.

This year I would like a Victory and I am really torn on what to buy. The bike will be a daily driver with 90% highway miles. I would also like the ability to take my wife occasionally with again, highway driving of no more than an hour each way. But she needs to be comfortable, or she won't come.

FYI: Before I hit pavement, I do 4 miles of hard pack gravel that has been a non-issue on the Shadow.

My plan is to buy a low mile used bike.

I really like the Cross Country...will I regret buying a tourer as a daily driver?

I am also looking at the Hard Ball and Kingpin tourer, maybe even a Boardwalk.

So....I am a long way from making up my mind and very open to any advice.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I really like the Cross Country...will I regret buying a tourer as a daily driver?
Not at all...you'll appreciate a tourer even more.
If you do get a Cross Country and expect to do mostly highway miles you'll want to consider wind and buffeting control.
btw: my wife says if I sell the CC she's going with it... ;)

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
+1 what PaiN said. I have around 300,000 2-up miles and a ton more solo. Wouldn't have anything w/o bags and a windshield. For really long distance touring,my bike of choice would be the XCT, but from your description, the XC is fine, but I would add the Lock & Ride backrest. Get the luggage rack too, while you're at it. I have no brand loyalty, its just that Victory is putting out the best bang for the buck these days and they are so dependable and easy to work on to boot.
I suggest test riding various Victorys to see which suits you. I find my XR very confidence inspiring with its low CofG and great handling and I like to be able to remove the windshield when the temps dial up. You definitely have to get an XR used as sadly, Ma Vic stopped making them.
Good luck and do keep us posted--we're here to help.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Reactions: broggyr

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
If youre regularly riding gravel look at fabricating a belt guard, your Shadow was no doubt shaft drive.
A rock/stone hole in your belt is no fun, I've already got one but fortunatly its central in the belt.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
In my experience, a faired bagger is great for a daily driver. But the fact that the last 3 of the 4 bikes I ever owned were faired baggers, I'm slightly biased :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
My daily ride is a XC. I'll never own a bike without saddlebags again.

·
Registered
357 Posts
CC makes a great daily driver.They seem more stable.I went from a V92TC to one.And the improvement is awesome.
Best thing to do is hit a good dealer and test ride a few models to make sure what you like.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Id go a CrossRoads myself but would need mags for tubeless tyres

·
Registered
12,330 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Like this?............
yep like that...though Id probably paint it black
...although second thoughts that's not a bad colour

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
That's a sweet ride Ric! The black cherry or brandywine as some call it; was about the most favored color in 2010 and those years in general. Real nice color. I had a darker version on an FLHT. Got lots of compliments.

The XR is basically the Kingpin all grown up. I still find it hard to believe they discontinued it from lack of sales. They tried to keep in the line up though with the Classic models as long as they could. The locking hard bags really make a difference; especially when carrying valuables or a handgun.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The CC may show itself as an imposing bike in terms of it's size- but it handles like a much smaller machine. The few times I have demo'ed them I was throwing it around like my own Judge within a couple minutes.

Ditto on the belt guard. << Heed these words

·
13,263 Posts
riden1966

tell us where you live we will look for bikes for you

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
yeah! That background is real purty Ric.
That photo was taken in the tiny town of Yachats (say yah-hots) on the central Oregon coast.
I originally was going to buy a black one, but when I saw Midnight Cherry in the sun, there ain't no way I was going to go with black. I get tons of compliments on the color--even from H-D riders.

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
I think i like midnight cherry .....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is great advice on the belt guard. Thanks.

It got me thinking, am I asking for trouble with hard bags on gravel? How tough is the plastic?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts