Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect someone out there knows a lot more about diodes than I do especially since I know very little :) Anyway, I want to put a small fairly dim LED fixture on the vertical roof support on our golf cart. This LED will light up whenever the turn signal blinker is on. Yes, the golf carts here in the Villages, FL all have blinkers, brake lights, headlights, horns, etc. since they are often used for more than just golf and drive around on the regular roads. The turn signal lights on the instrument cluster are hidden by the steering wheel and the turn signals are not self-cancelling. This makes golf carts much like when you are riding with a pack of bikes that do not have self-cancelling turn signals... someone always has their turn signal on for miles and miles :). I plan to put the aforementioned LED in location highly visible to the cart driver. I only plan to put up one LED on the driver side roof support. I plan to wire this to BOTH turn signal wires so the LED will blink whenever either the left or right turn signal is blinking. The driver will see this, be reminded that they left their blinker on, and can easily figure out if it is right or left and turn the blinker control lever to the center/off position.

In order to power one LED from both blinker circuits, I need to run each power wire through a diode and then to the LED. If I don't do this, the left and right blinker power will light up both blinkers and this is obviously a bad idea. The voltage in a gas golf cart (which is what I have) is 12 volts DC just like a motorcycle or car.

So this brings me to my question. How are diodes sized? I need two of them that will allow the small current necessary to light a small not very bright four LED cluster to pass and will handle 12 volts DC. Can anyone recommend what size diode I need or even how diodes are sized? I would also appreciate any recommendations for places to buy the recommended diodes. Radio Shacks which used to me my go-to place for electronics are all closed in this area.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, 53canuck. I have searched all over Google and not been able to find the lights I want. The search results to which you linked also does not have the type I want. They are very common on carts here in The Villages. A friend told me he bought some at a local Walmart but they did no have them yesterday when I looked. I will try another Walmart. Besides, this is a good excuse to get on my bike and ride :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts