Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a Sena SMH10 helmet comm system and after going through somewhat of a learning curve with it I'm reasonably happy with it.

I would like to be able to listen to the radio though and I'm wondering if there's a BlueTooth transmitter than can be added to the XC so that I can "pipe" the audio to both of our helmets.

The other issue that I've got is that I get a LOT of wind noise from my wife's mic. We don't wear full face helmets and her mic picks up a bunch of wind noise. It's really annoying even after fifteen or twenty minutes listening to the constant rasping of an open mic. Anybody got any ideas on how to cut down on the wind noise other than buying a GoldWing?

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Yes, you can buy a bluetooth dongle. It costs about $180.

Regarding your wife's mic, are you sure it's facing the right way? If it is, you can buy a larger, thicker windscreen for it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup it's facing the correct direction. I tried a different condom on it last nite and we'll probably go for a putt this morning. I also downloaded the updated firmware yesterday for the system. That screwed things up royally but it's supposed to have a better noise reduction update in that firmware, hopefully it helps.

After doing the updates on the units I found that my music from the phone wouldn't play at all using Amazons MP3 player. I downloaded a different app and it seems to work flawlessly but I can't figure out how to make play lists on the new app.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sena SMH10

I have the same unit and did the updates and very happy with it Less noise. Open face helmets you get some wind noise but we don't leave the mic open. I also lean ahead a bit and my buddy says it is good. We also have a set for our sled. with the sleds and full face helmets we leave the mic open all the time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Maybe turn the vox off in the config for her set. She would have to tap jog wheel to talk or whatever, but you shouldn't have to listen to open mic. I'm no expert, just now learning mine, rode with it once, but fixing to do 7 days with it, so I hope to know a little more about it in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I recently picked up a Sena SMH10 helmet comm system and after going through somewhat of a learning curve with it I'm reasonably happy with it.

I would like to be able to listen to the radio though and I'm wondering if there's a BlueTooth transmitter than can be added to the XC so that I can "pipe" the audio to both of our helmets.

The other issue that I've got is that I get a LOT of wind noise from my wife's mic. We don't wear full face helmets and her mic picks up a bunch of wind noise. It's really annoying even after fifteen or twenty minutes listening to the constant rasping of an open mic. Anybody got any ideas on how to cut down on the wind noise other than buying a GoldWing?
You have a 2013 so I assume your XC has the ipod hook up in the saddlebag. Don't spend big money on a dongle. Go to ebay and search on "Bluetooth Music Audio Receiver Adapter A2DP 30 pin", you'll find these devices for anywhere from $6 to $12. This will connect any of your blue tooth devices to the onboard AUX on your radio. I use one for my Android phone, mp3, Pandora, GPS, etc is all accessable via the blue tooth adapter. Be sure you get a 30 pin.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
unbidden said:
Go to ebay and search on "Bluetooth Music Audio Receiver Adapter A2DP 30 pin
Interesting but let me get this straight, the iPod plug in I thought was what I would term an "Audio In". What you're saying is that it also is an "Audio Out" from the radio?? I did a search on both Amazon and eBay and came up with a crap load of "stuff", none of which I have a clue as to what they are. Although I can spell "Computer" I really can't spell "iPod" if you know what I mean. My smart phone (Android) and I have had a love hate relationship since 2011 when I broke down and bought one. If you use one of these gadgets could you do me a favor and send me a link to which one I'd be looking at using? I appreciate the help.

Bama said:
Maybe turn the vox off in the config for her set.
I'm familiar with VOX through HAM radio and VOX is voice activated transmission meaning that you don't have to push a button, I would assume that it's the same on the Sena but I haven't tried it. Sena is full duplex so that the mike is transmitting at all times on one frequency and receiving on a different frequency so that both parties can talk at once without waiting for the frequency to clear.

My mic is crystal clear with no wind noise but not so much with the wifes I'm afraid. Even with the firmware update the wind noise yesterday was horrible. At 80 mph she has to lean into me and cup the mic with her hand just so I can sort of understand her.

The system works well but I would have expected a little better noise reduction for $300. My BlueParrott headset for my phone will knock out a set of open stack Jakes on a 550 horsepower Cat engine coming down an 18% grade log road so that whoever I'm talking to on the phone doesn't even know I'm in a truck. It'll also dampen out a 50 mph Wyoming "breeze" when I'm outside on the phone.

We'll continue to use the Sena and play with modifications to her mic along the way. The audio share feature works very well once I found an MP3 player for my Android that would play along and not lock up or just drop off. I've got a 2k round trip run down to southern Colorado in two weeks for a bike run and I'm gonna stop by the library and get an audio book to listen to while whistling down the interstate at 80 mph.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Foto Joe wrote: Interesting but let me get this straight, the iPod plug in I thought was what I would term an "Audio In". What you're saying is that it also is an "Audio Out" from the radio?? I did a search on both Amazon and eBay and came up with a crap load of "stuff", none of which I have a clue as to what they are. Although I can spell "Computer" I really can't spell "iPod" if you know what I mean. My smart phone (Android) and I have had a love hate relationship since 2011 when I broke down and bought one. If you use one of these gadgets could you do me a favor and send me a link to which one I'd be looking at using? I appreciate the help.
The blue tooth adapter will connect to any blue tooth device. I rode quite a bit today, used the adapter to connect to my android phone. I listened to Pandora, TuneIn Radio, used the phone gps while using Pandora. The music will lower when the gps responds with a direction *right turn clyde* etc. I would thing you can pair the Sena up to the adapter as well. At those eBay prices, it's a no brainer to order one and try it out. The seller I bought one from is currently out "luckydog on ebay". Those others are the same product basically. My buddy bought one also for his XCT.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
There are several of those 30-pin bluetooth devices out there. I almost bought one. DockBoss is one that I can think of.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/CableJive-Wireless-Bluetooth-including-SoundDock/dp/B004XMMSZG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404610151&sr=8-2&keywords=dockboss+adapter[/ame] DockBoss bluetooth adapter

I have an iPhone 5s, and while that would work for me, I kind f like having that port do my charging as well. So, I bought a 30-pin to lightning connector, and an extension cord so I can run it on my handlebar (GPS, etc).

·
Registered
21 Posts
This^ wont work to transmit to both sena and bike if you have an ipod nano you can use a kokkia 10a to plug into the headphone plug on your nano and pair with your sena's while still sending music from your ipod to your bike system there is alittle bit of delay but not overly bad. This is what I do on my '13 xc

·
Registered
21 Posts
My point is it only streams to the bike it will not stream to both senas this when plugged into the headphone port of an ipod ibuse a nano will allow the use of the handlebar controls and bike stereo and also stream to 2 separate senas [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0069G1SIC/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1423351985&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=kokkia+bluetooth+transmitter&dpPl=1&dpID=41yJBtmGBDL&ref=plSrch[/ame]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I want to figure a way to do it with this thread with my casio commando as the nav but haven't sat down and scribbled it out yet

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
tgrshk19, Neither of the Amazon links you posted work for me. They yield an error screen stating that the link/product does not exist. Do they work for anyone else? Maybe it is just a problem for me.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
790 Posts
This is an issue with all open face helmets. When I ride with my buddies on Harley's they like to leave the mike on so they can talk at any time without tapping the communicate button. I get their wind noise, coughing hacking...I end up either dealing with it or turning it off. They hear nothing from me as the wind protection is better on the Vic CCT. My wife in the back also creates wind noise for me. She sits higher than me, and gets more wind. One of my other friends wife went to a full face helmet and the auto vox works perfect. It turns off when she's not talking, which he says is hardly ever...:D

Running your music through the headsets is either from a smartphone, but remember you can't listen to music and have the "Vox" on simultaneously, meaning you can't talk over it, music must cut out. Also quality of sound poorer, these aren't headphones.

I prefer using the bike speakers so I can still hear music when others talk, and it makes it easier to hear ambient sound like emergency vehicles, other cars....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Dongle

I bought the dongle some time ago and have NOT been able to get it to work with my Sena SMH10. I've tried just about everything.My Galaxie S4 works with the Sena and on trips I listen to Pandora just so I can hear it in the headsets. But i put XM on the bike and want to get the dongle working. Can someone go thru the pairing step by step for this old brain ??!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts