Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

2081 - 2100 of 2219 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,404 Posts
I think what depot picker was trying to say is going through this indefinitely is extremely painful and time consuming. There's also a risk the antibiotics will stop working at some point which means you could turn septic which is a life threatening condition. No one wants to see anyone lose a limb but it's preferable to to losing a life from sepsis. Lots of people live perfectly normal lives with a prosthetic. It's not the desired outcome but is the (much) lesser of two bad possible outcomes. Only you and your doctors can make these decisions.

Also, as someone who battles weight constantly, it would be easier on our legs if we both lost some weight. I know; much easier said than done but others do it so why can't we? I figure it's a matter of finding that right lifestyle of eating. I deplore the word "diet" because it makes it sound like we have to starve ourselves when we don't if we do it right. You're still a young guy MD. It will only get harder to lose weight as you age. I know I'm preaching to the choir by stating the obvious but it is what it is.

We are with you regardless.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
@MaddogUSMC coz Christmas is coming to town, we must lift your spirits

If you are taking to many antibiotics, you MUST read this and have a laugh at the same time.... Enjoy

Fecal Transplant Death Mystery Solved

" This summer, two people became ill after a poop transplant, and one of them died. Experts explain what went wrong and why the procedure should continue.
" As many as 10,000 fecal microbiota transplants (FMTs) are now performed in the United States every year, and more than 300 clinical trials for the therapy are currently running. " The procedure is most commonly used to treat Clostridium Difficile infections, where overly aggressive antibiotics wipe out healthy gut microbes

COMMENT:
Fecal transplants may be helpful in some instance, though the very
idea of a "poop transplant" seems weird and unnatural.

Our modern reductionist mindset seems to be always seeking the high tech magic potion, when we should should be trying the simple more natural remedies first.e.g. doctors always want to immediately start treating lung infections with antibiotics, before they have tried more benign stuff, such as high dose vitamin C or xylitol.

An early precursor to modern antibiotics is the interesting microbe Baccilus Subtilis, first identified in General Rommel's North Africa Desert War campaign, who were trying to figure out how to control a bad outbreak of dysentery among the troops. A German doctor observed an Arab sticking his finger into a pile of fresh camel dung and sucking on it. The Arabs explained that this was the local remedy for dysentery. Thus, an early (if not the first) antibiotic came into being.The food most rich in Baccilus Subtilis is the Japanese fermented soybean food, natto.

Anyway, modern antibiotics have come a long way since 1942. We now have antibiotics so strong they wipe out beneficial gut microbes, thus allowing nasty infections, such as Candida Albicans and Clostridium Difficile to devastate people's digestive systems.

In the case of the death by fecal transplant (FCA), we have an example of one trendy high tech medical procedure (antibiotics) causing a health problem which Big Medicine now wants to treat using another trendy high tech procedure (fecal transplant).

The lesson to be learned from this, is to not trust doctors. Make your
own enquiries and reach your own conclusions. Only throw yourself to the doc's mercy when the simpler more natural remedies are not working.

For example, it costs bugger all keep a good supply of activated
charcoal (500g), frozen natto (300g), xylitol (250g) and a large
supply of abscorbic acid powder at home (at least 500g).
- At the first sign of coughs or colds or other infections, start
taking 2-3g/hr of vitamin C. Non-stop, 24/hrs/day.
- At the first sign of a gut infection, start taking activated
charcoal and/or natto (though not both a the same time).

Before allowing a fecal transplant, try eating a lot of natto.

Bacillus Subtilis combats Clostridium Difficile infections

If the dead fecal transplant patient had included natto with their
meals, they may still be alive.

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,083
Well, here is a not so good update. Everyone feels that the Ciprofloxacin is no longer working. I am going to have a picc line installed and IV antibiotics within the next few days. My ortho is now involved and they will be sticking a gigantic needle in my knee to see if they can get a bit of fluid for culture and sensitivities. I see surgery 11 soon. Will I get lucky and get a knee fusion or an above the knee amputation?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,404 Posts
Unfortunately, as we know, our bodies build an immunity to pretty much any drug, so it takes more and more or stronger doses to get the desired effect. That includes antibiotics. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we all hoped the infection would be beat and you fully healed. So sorry it didn't work out that way. Miracles do happen though so maybe one can happen for you with this. I just know you can't keep going through daily bandages changes indefinitely; especially when you're unable to do them yourself.

Praying for a good outcome either way Maddog. I also hope karma caught up with that guy who ran you into that guard rail. Not hard and fast either. Slow and painful.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,086
It is what it is.....I will just have to deal with whatever cards are dealt to me. Thanks fellas.

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
Maddog, I know 3 guys that lost their leg in motorcycle wreaks. two lost them below the knee and all 3 have prosthetic legs. One continued to ride. He rebuilt the scooter he was hit on and keep riding it for years until his death from leukemia. 2 of them, along with one cousin that was born with his lower leg missing use to crack me up. I would be in a bar and the three of them would walk into the bar with short pants on. Everyone staring at them. I had to laugh every time I seen them do this. One guy Kevin, I would go over to his house and he would be hoping around one his one good leg. He had damned good balance and would cook and do all kinds of things on one leg. I wished I had a picture of them to show you. Oh yeah, Kevin also has tourettes. My point is these guys didn't give up, they work and lived a pretty normal life in most ways. They all lost their legs 30 to 40 years ago and are in there 50's and 60's now. Their first prosthetic legs were wood and nothing like what they have now. I pray you don't lose a leg, but if you do. You can dill with it and have a happy life. If you have a mind to.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,088
Maddog, I know 3 guys that lost their leg in motorcycle wreaks. two lost them below the knee and all 3 have prosthetic legs. One continued to ride. He rebuilt the scooter he was hit on and keep riding it for years until his death from leukemia. 2 of them, along with one cousin that was born with his lower leg missing use to crack me up. I would be in a bar and the three of them would walk into the bar with short pants on. Everyone staring at them. I had to laugh every time I seen them do this. One guy Kevin, I would go over to his house and he would be hoping around one his one good leg. He had damned good balance and would cook and do all kinds of things on one leg. I wished I had a picture of them to show you. Oh yeah, Kevin also has tourettes. My point is these guys didn't give up, they work and lived a pretty normal life in most ways. They all lost their legs 30 to 40 years ago and are in there 50's and 60's now. Their first prosthetic legs were wood and nothing like what they have now. I pray you don't lose a leg, but if you do. You can dill with it and have a happy life. If you have a mind to.
They weren't fat like me, were they?

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts

I don't no what size you are. But no they were not fat and never got fat. But you can still overcome that. You just have to put your mind to it.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts

I got a buddy here that is close to your size but 6’4. Amputated above the left knee. Had an electronic shifter put by his left grip. Took him a year or so, but he’s back riding.

Don’t take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

·
Super Moderator
5,006 Posts
You are a fighter!!! I can't say anything that hasn't been said 100+ times.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,093
Time will tell. I can handle whatever is thrown at me. Just taking it one day at a time

·
Registered
651 Posts
Time will tell. I can handle whatever is thrown at me. Just taking it one day at a time

Hey Brother.....Wish there was some magic could be thrown your way...but your attitude is amazing man....hang in there you'll come out on the top side of this however it plays out....

Root for you from up here in canada....cheers brother...hope you have a special holiday season....merry christmas to you and yours...be safe,

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,096
Merry Christmas Maddog I hope the new year will bring you great health and much happiness
Thanks! Merry Christmas to you and your family as well, VJ!

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,097
Hey Brother.....Wish there was some magic could be thrown your way...but your attitude is amazing man....hang in there you'll come out on the top side of this however it plays out....

Root for you from up here in canada....cheers brother...hope you have a special holiday season....merry christmas to you and yours...be safe,

Rob
Thanks brother! I appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,098
Well, yesterday afternoon, the deed was done. Picc line was placed and then my first infusion of cephapime was done at the infectious disease doctor's office. It leaves a metallic taste in my mouth. This will be the case every 12 hours. All I seem to be doing is sleeping. Sheesh!

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
Let's hope that this medication works and knocks out the infection Maddog.

2081 - 2100 of 2219 Posts