Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a brand new vegas, best move I have ever made love the bike to bits.I am though in a bit of a quandry as the bike is a 2010 model. It still has the 106 freedom 6 speed overdrive engine. The manual is for the previous smaller engine which says to service every 2500 miles, however if I look up my actual engine it say's every 5000. Is there any reason why I shouldn't stretch the interval out as I plan to tour europe again early next year. Cheers any advice welcome Spot 13

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I have recently bought a brand new vegas, best move I have ever made love the bike to bits.I am though in a bit of a quandry as the bike is a 2010 model. It still has the 106 freedom 6 speed overdrive engine. The manual is for the previous smaller engine which says to service every 2500 miles, however if I look up my actual engine it say's every 5000. Is there any reason why I shouldn't stretch the interval out as I plan to tour europe again early next year. Cheers any advice welcome Spot 13
2010 model - 2,500 mile interval
2011 model - 5,000 mile interval

Not many differences between the 2010 and 2011 models, but this is one of them.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have the 2010 XR but assume the reason is the same for the Vegas. There was an update to the 2011 transmission that allows for the oil change to be doubled. From what I understand the gear design isn't as hard on the oil. I've also been told that you will know its time to change the oil because finding neutral becomes extremely hard.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just for information, the reason why the oil change interval increased from 2500 miles to 5000 miles because Victory redesigned the transmission for the 2011 bikes. Since motorcycle engines share the motor oil for both the engine and transmission the most harmful action to your motor oil is the shearing force applied by the gears in the transmission. The redesign of the transmission reduced the shearing forces in the gears and therefore increased the oil life.

One of the reasons why I specifically did not buy a 2010 was the 2500 mile oil change interval. But if I did own a 2010 I would have a used oil analysis performed each time I changed the oil (at least initially). Then I would test different brands of oil to see which would last the longest. The UOA results would tell you what condition your oil is in and if you could stretch out the oil change intervals a little bit. Or it might tell you that high end oils like Amsoil might resist the shearing more and maybe significantly stretch out the oil change intervals. Note that is only what I would do because I would get tired of changing the oil every 2500 miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just for information, the reason why the oil change interval increased from 2500 miles to 5000 miles because Victory redesigned the transmission for the 2011 bikes. Since motorcycle engines share the motor oil for both the engine and transmission the most harmful action to your motor oil is the shearing force applied by the gears in the transmission. The redesign of the transmission reduced the shearing forces in the gears and therefore increased the oil life.

One of the reasons why I specifically did not buy a 2010 was the 2500 mile oil change interval. But if I did own a 2010 I would have a used oil analysis performed each time I changed the oil (at least initially). Then I would test different brands of oil to see which would last the longest. The UOA results would tell you what condition your oil is in and if you could stretch out the oil change intervals a little bit. Or it might tell you that high end oils like Amsoil might resist the shearing more and maybe significantly stretch out the oil change intervals. Note that is only what I would do because I would get tired of changing the oil every 2500 miles.
Cheers Rajder and to everyone else who has helped. I live in England so we don't get Amsoil do you know of a national brand who may produce an equivelent ?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Oil questions are hazardous but the simple answer to the unavailability oil Ams- -- is do like Victory does and mix standard oil and synthetic oil and make your own synthetic blend. You can also use any straight synthetic but what ever you do make sure the oil you choose is compatible with motorcycles. Victorys use a wet clutch and are single sump (transmission, primary, engine all use the same oil) so using oil that isn't compatible will affect you bike. I.e. your clutch will slip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts