Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doin' about 100 MPH down the highway and the front end starts wobbling pretty badly. I have a 2013 cct. No side wind and not much of a head wind. Throttled down, opened the vents and took it back up to 100 MPH. No wobble. Oh yes, I have the stock windshield on it. To the person who is going to respond, "don't do 100 and it won't wobble", I understand. Just have never had a bike do that before. Had a couple of Visions in my life and it didn't happen then. Thought this might be a CCT thing. Tires seem fine. Only have 600 miles on them. Anyone else experience the same thing. I know in my heart that if I had tried to "power" through it, I would have been a grease spot on the highway. Just curious about wind flow with vents open/closed and why it would wobble like that so much.

·
Administrator
5,977 Posts
Doin' about 100 MPH down the highway and the front end starts wobbling pretty badly. I have a 2013 cct. No side wind and not much of a head wind. Throttled down, opened the vents and took it back up to 100 MPH. No wobble. Oh yes, I have the stock windshield on it. To the person who is going to respond, "don't do 100 and it won't wobble", I understand. Just have never had a bike do that before. Had a couple of Visions in my life and it didn't happen then. Thought this might be a CCT thing. Tires seem fine. Only have 600 miles on them. Anyone else experience the same thing. I know in my heart that if I had tried to "power" through it, I would have been a grease spot on the highway. Just curious about wind flow with vents open/closed and why it would wobble like that so much.
What is the air pressure in your front tire, and what are you using to check it with?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just had the 500 mile check up. 38 PSI in the front and 40 PSI in the back. (dealer recommendation). Shocks set at 55 lbs. Have had crotch rockets, cruisers (Honda VTX 1800), tours (goldwing) , 19 in all. NEVER had this problem.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Just had the 500 mile check up. 38 PSI in the front and 40 PSI in the back. (dealer recommendation). Shocks set at 55 lbs. Have had crotch rockets, cruisers (Honda VTX 1800), tours (goldwing) , 19 in all. NEVER had this problem.
I believe this will happen in many bikes, but at different speeds. My CB750 would do it at about 15 MPH. My GL1800 at about 30MPH. It just depends on that bike's resonant frequency (along with other things). I don't ride at 100, so I haven't noticed it yet...

·
Administrator
5,977 Posts
Possible culprits:
- cupped thread (this can be caused by the tire hitting something like a curb in a parking lot, and casing the inner part of the tire to partially tear).
- wheel bearings (rare);
- bent rim (very rare);
- bent fork (very rare).

Most high speed wobbles are rooted into the tire, so you must eliminate the tire as a suspect before you consider the rest.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
With a 'tailwind' some bikes can become light in the front, old BMW I had did a high speed SEVERE wobble (110+mph) and crashed... was with a high tailwind at high speed, but that year of BMW was said to have a slightly too short frame length that was later changed... it was a 70's era.

But, those fairings create a whole new world of wind dynamics... I've always ridden NAKED...

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Wobble

So what does cause this wobble? This is the first time I've heard someone riding a Victory complain about it. I've never come across it since I've been riding. But had heard that it has been and issue with Harley's. Do other make have this issue also? It did hit home when a buddy of mine was heading to Sturgis, not this past one, but the year before and he experienced the wobble on his bike ( he was riding a Harley) and lost control of it. Now he is paralized from the waist down and just got out of the hospital recently from that wreck. Be care with that sh!t, I'd would want to know what was causing it. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Tighten your head bearing, a new bike will need it after a couple few thousand K. Road surface is a huge part og head shake as well... I have 4500kms on my bike and can tell I need to tighten up my head bearing, it's gonna seat itself and need some tightening (often overlooked).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree with lunatic. Start with triple trees. After switching out my aluminum trees for chrome my bike now has a wobble at about 90mph. I had never noticed it before the switch and i ride fast all the time. It doesn't happen going straight but the second i lean to change lanes....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I had a Kawasaki concours that had a harsh wobble on decal. tightening head bearings cured it. Some what common on them. I think fork angle among just about everything on the bike controls wobble or not. Be careful.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
reading thread

I see lots of responses attempting to assist, but in his original thread he states when he opens up the vents ( I am not sure if they are the hard lower vents or the smaller clear ones) he no longer gets the wobble, hence this sounds like a wind management problem or something may be loose but becomes stabilized with vents open. Am I completely off target here?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Rumrcity: I have the "hard" lowers, (opened the vents inside). It seemed to help, but this bike is one of the hardest to handle at those speeds than I have ever had with any other bike. I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow. Check head bearings, wheel bearings, bent rims, bent forks, etc. I originally had the Klokwerks windshield on it. I remember a couple of times taking it up to about 100, but no wobbling. So I attributed it to maybe the stock shield was an issue. Just got it back from the dealer. He installed the new Lloydz cams, put in a PC5 and the auto tuner. Maybe the head bearings were part of all that. Don't have a clue though. I'll have to check if the 500 mile check up, checked the bearings. I'm very concerned and afraid they're not going to be able to figure this out. I was the only one on the road, so I wasn't getting any "wash" from any other vehicles and/or big rigs. If it's not any of the things you all have suggested, I'm at a loss. After 19 bikes, this is new territory for me. Thanks to ALL who offered your ideas. I'll keep everyone posted. I did notice that they put all the "stuff" (PC5 and auto behind the left side cover. There are 3 places to "plug" the cover into. The one at the top left of the side cover, keeps poppiing out. LOTS of wires and boxes stuffed back there. Can't believe a partially popped out side cover could do all that though.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
LOTS of wind variables... speed, side winds, head, tail....... good luck. This is probably one of those things that the technician won't be able to reproduce, hence, the "Everything seems to be ok" likely outcome.

Until one day the 'right' circumstances all line up again and.... hopefully it's a wobble that announces itself early and doesn't become a "severe" wobble, a severe wobble will quickly put you on the ground.

That's my 2 cents and my crystal ball prediction.

My high speed wobble happened in two seconds and..... down.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
wobble

It's tragic that after having some nice mods done to increase the bikes performance, its now dangerous. Since your bringing it in to the dealer, I would have them reset/reseat anything that was moved or removed to complete the mod. Maybe something is just a little out of whack. Just an FYI, during a ride to Sturgis on my Nomad, doing 79 was absolutely no problem, as soon as I hit 80, a nasty wobbled started. Turns out I threw a weight off front wheel, like I said, just an FYI, good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,647 Posts
LOTS of wind variables... speed, side winds, head, tail....... good luck. This is probably one of those things that the technician won't be able to reproduce, hence, the "Everything seems to be ok" likely outcome.

Until one day the 'right' circumstances all line up again and.... hopefully it's a wobble that announces itself early and doesn't become a "severe" wobble, a severe wobble will quickly put you on the ground.

That's my 2 cents and my crystal ball prediction.

My high speed wobble happened in two seconds and..... down.
Yepper... that wobble can become a tank slapper in a New York minute (that's one second to the rest of us).

Three areas to look as already mentioned. Tire pressure and wear. Neck/head bearings (mine needs adjusting right now too); and back wheel alignment. We don't often think something in the back would cause front end wobble but sometimes that's exactly what it is.

I suppose it's possible a change in the windshield set up could cause something. For instance the Madstad system to be able to adjust the shield. If it is matched up with the wrong shield somehow it could cause turbulence and maybe some wobble.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
You said your rear shock is set to 55lbs.. Are you well over 300lbs? Im 285 and i usually keep my shock between 40 and 50 but bump it to 70 if my wife's on board. Ive noticed that i feel unstable if i leave it at 70 when she gets off, but it returns to normal after i bring it back down to the 45 area for me alone. Wobbles have a lot to do with issues in the rear... An over-packed or uneven trunk/saddle bag will cause it on many bikes....

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
So what does cause this wobble?
Per the information of the poster, I'd say closed vents.

But had heard that it has been and issue with Harley's.
Harleys had a known design flaw that they fixed by revamping the frames on their touring line in 2009. Cross bikes have a far better chassis than any tubed framed Harley could ever hope to achieve.

Loose steering head bearings sound like a reasonable thing to check, though when I had that issue, it manifested itself as a lot of pulsating during braking. And given that his issue suddenly cleared itself up by "opening the vents," I'd probably just run it up somewhere else with them closed to see if it happens again. Might have just been a gnarley patch of road.

·
13,183 Posts
When I had H-D elictra glide I had wobbles they would scare the **** out of you and even Hulk wouldn't be able to stop them.
You hit the right spot in the raod and hang on. H-D has thousands of law suits over it.

Woble comes from the rear. Check air in tire check shock maybe more air in it. Check side to side play in swing arm. Check rear motor mounts check wheel bearings.
Maybe its the front triple tree bearing or wheel bearings but I dought it.

The right road and the dip in a corner will set it off. Check every thing over and you don't need to be doing 100 mph to have it happen

·
13,183 Posts
I have heard to get out of a wobble give it gas and get on the rear break to slow it down

1 - 20 of 32 Posts