Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there all,

Thanks for having me. I am new to Victory motorcycles (purchasing one later this month-financing set, bike picked out, just waiting to complete transaction).

I do have a question, however.

I test drove a 2016 Vegas 8 Ball. Absolutley LOVED the bike! Great acceleration from a stock setup, incredible handling and very comfortable ride.

The only thing is... the thing sounds like a sewing machine.

I have seen mentions of this in this forum, and have seen some comments on YouTube about it, but haven't really heard the reason for the sound.

Anyone know what the sound is specifically? Is it just the top end (valves, etc) that's making the sound? Does is dampen as the motor is broken in? Would a good set of pipes help with it (regardless if it does or not... the pipes will be swapped out with something with a little more bark to it)?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks from Maine!

KP

·
Registered
169 Posts
LOL that's exactly what I said about my bike. I jokingly asked the sales guy if the 100 on the side meant amps and he looked at me like I was stupid...then I said, because it sounds like a damn sewing machine. Thankfully he got the joke.

I think it is just the sound of the engine with all the noise canceling and emissions bullshit attached to it. The stock pipes are insanely quiet...it's sickening, really.

Get yourself a nice set of pipes and a tune, and that sound will be gone. I love the way my bike sounds now, it is amazing. Once I replace the intake this Christmas, I've been told that I can expect it to get a bit louder then as well.

A lot of good knowledge in here so don't hesitate to ask.

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
I wear earplugs when i ride, i never noticed a sewing machine sound,, but this is my first V-twin

Only fast bikes before this .

It is character mate, no worry, if a HD stand next to me, mine sounds better

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
The sewing machine sound is a combination of the over head cams, gear driven primary, and of course, the eco-mentalists friendly exhaust. An exhaust will pretty much drown out the metallic clatter. All said and done, it is HOW our bikes should sound, so nothing is wrong with it. Merely a quirk of Vics :)

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
throw on a set of Freedom Performance Sharp Radius Slash Pipes,
and all comparisons with a Singer will vanish.:devil

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
I think it's pretty bizarre that anyone knows what a sewing machine really sounds like anymore.
My wife makes scrub hats for surgery room employees for extra cash. I hear that Singer machine every other day at least :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts