Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Cross Country / stock 106 with glasspack mufflers
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard a really strange squealing noise, three times now, coming from somewhere under my seat and toward the rear of the bike. It doesn't last long enough to locate it's origin, as it only happens for a second, and only when cruising at a steady speed (like 40mph) on smooth pavement, but it's loud enough to let me know it totally not normal. It doesn't happen under acceleration nor when going over bumps, and I have not been able to replicate it intentionally by flexing the suspension or throttle. Since it happens at cruising speed I am probably in 4th gear, though I can't swear to that. It worries me.

The sound is a sharp, high-pitched squeal like something very tight slipping, but only lasts a second and does not recur for several minutes if at all, nor does it occur on every ride. The first time it happened I thought I may have imagined it, but days later it happened twice on the same ride, both times when doing nothing extraordinary, just loping along. Ideas?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
. The first time it happened I thought I may have imagined it, but days later it happened twice on the same ride
Ha , same thing with my transmission sound , I thought I hallucinated it ... Then it happened again and it was permanent . This is a tough one , id , probably one of two things , suspension , or driveline . A belt chirp perhaps , feel your belt tension when its hot after a ride , if its tighter then a bulls ass , loosen the adjusters the same on both sides and loosen the belt a bit and see if that alleviates it . I would think a suspension related issue would rear it head more frequently on a rougher road , you may want to intentionally hit some rough patches just to check ......

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I'd ask @LILMAGS500 ...he now knows every single noise a Victory is not supposed to make.... :ltr:

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Okay....This
is getting a little weird....I'm out

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
@PaiN Asshole !:nanana:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
probably one of two things , suspension , or driveline ...
This bike does have a lowered rear...was it you who had a problem with the heim joint and a bent bolt on a lowering link? I have no idea who's link is on this bike which I bought used a couple thousand miles ago. I would have suspected that kind of fault would produce consistent, repeatable symptoms.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
This bike does have a lowered rear...was it you who had a problem with the heim joint and a bent bolt on a lowering link? I have no idea who's link is on this bike which I bought used a couple thousand miles ago. I would have suspected that kind of fault would produce consistent, repeatable symptoms.
I bought a 2" lowering link and after careful observation , it looked like it was colliding with the air fill hose coming off the shock , so I removed it before even riding the bike . I went to a 1" lowering link but am thinking of going back to the 1 1/2" link . I believe even 2" may be pushing your luck , and could cause other issues .

·
13,262 Posts
could be the wear tab on the rear brake pads. for the heck of it take your bags off your next ride to see if you can hear the chirp better.
Then when you come home and roll into the garage stop the bike with out rolling it backwards. Now look at the belt and see if its in a straight line. If you see a hook in the belt by front pulley your wheel is out of alignment

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
could be the wear tab on the rear brake pads. for the heck of it take your bags off your next ride to see if you can hear the chirp better.
Then when you come home and roll into the garage stop the bike with out rolling it backwards. Now look at the belt and see if its in a straight line. If you see a hook in the belt by front pulley your wheel is out of alignment
Good advice also , VJ may be on to something ..... Definitely check your breaks .....:D

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
could be the wear tab on the rear brake pads. ~ Then when you come home and roll into the garage stop the bike with out rolling it backwards. Now look at the belt and see if its in a straight line. If you see a hook in the belt by front pulley your wheel is out of alignment
Good tips...it would be SO great if it was just brake pads or alignment. I'm going on a ride shortly will check both those things.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The sound is a sharp, high-pitched squeal like something very tight slipping, but only lasts a second and does not recur for several minutes if at all, nor does it occur on every ride. The first time it happened I thought I may have imagined it, but days later it happened twice on the same ride, both times when doing nothing extraordinary, just loping along. Ideas?
I was thinking about this. On my old bike I had a similar noise happen like you described. I ended up pulling the rear wheel and found one of the bearings was a few balls short of being a ball bearing. Why it only made a short, loud sound every so often? I don't know. I figured it would make a constant noise.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not much new to report as I haven't ridden much the last couple days, nor did I bother to take off the saddlebag yet to inspect the brake pads. However, I did hear the noise just once again, briefly again, but while coasting this time, so the pipes were not covering up the sound. It was just long enough to locate that the sound seemed to be emanating from the left side rear, where the brake pads would be (crosses fingers) and also just long enough to get a better impression of the sound's makeup. I now believe it just could be the type of scraping sound that a pad could make on a rotor. I no longer believe it was not as loud as I initially thought, just so shrill that it got my attention immediately, just how the brake engineers probably intended. I am hopeful that further inspection will bear out pad replacement in which case I'll apologize for the alarm. I should be able to check further tomorrow and report findings.
Thanks and holding my breath
:)

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
Put the bike on a jack and see if you can spin the rear wheel smoothly. My brother-in-law had a weird occasional squeal from the rear wheel of his Fat Bob. Then it progressed into a rough-spinning, chunky-sounding rear wheel. Turned out to be a wheel bearing. Once it was replaced, it went away...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts