Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week a freind of mine called and said he was dead on the highway and needed a trailer. When I arrived and looked at his bike it had sheared all the bolts off in the wheel hub,broke a chunk out of the swing arm where the wheel adjuster is, and ruined the sprocket.
This is on a 2010 XR with 9500 miles on it. Have any of you heard of this happening before, and could it be a problem that needs to be checked on a regular basis, and if so, how would you check it?

2011 ness XCwac

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
Last week a freind of mine called and said he was dead on the highway and needed a trailer. When I arrived and looked at his bike it had sheared all the bolts off in the wheel hub,broke a chunk out of the swing arm where the wheel adjuster is, and ruined the sprocket.
This is on a 2010 XR with 9500 miles on it. Have any of you heard of this happening before, and could it be a problem that needs to be checked on a regular basis, and if so, how would you check it?

2011 ness XCwac
Was the pully removed on a tire change recently? Was loctite used when re-assembled?

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was left of the bolts in the hub,were still tight. yes it had a rear tire installed by the dealer about 6 weeks earlier. Dealer says they did not remove the sprocket to change the tire. All parts are being shipped back to victory to check.

·
Premium Member
13,616 Posts
It's not uncommon for belt driven motorcycles unfortunately. Normally it can be tracked back to the bolts being removed from the sprocket and re-installed as Noe alluded to. Many people don't re-use sprocket bolts because once they are tightened to spec they stretch.

Occasionally there's no known reason for this to happen though. Could be many different things such as a faulty batch of bolts, a warped pulley, or even bolts that were over tightened.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts