Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use a sheepskin cover on their XC? If so where did you buy yours and are they worth the money. I've also seen the wooden beads on goldwings but I cannot see how that could be comfortable..

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a sheepskin seat pad that I bought for my previous VTX a couple years ago now, and had moved it over the XC over the winter. Not sure exactly why, but ended up not keeping it on and didn't take it on a just completed 3000 mile trip over 10 days from Dallas,TX to North Carolina then down to Destin, FL and back to Texas along a very southern route. Wish I had taken it, however. Ended up running several days in 95+ temps and I really felt it in the seat.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it would have made, but I think it would have helped. On the VTX it helped a lot in the colder months and we did a long trip in May with 105 degree temps in Arizona and New Mexico which I don't remember feeling the heat in the seat like on this last trip.

Wife had a Airhawk seat pad on the back on the VTX, but finds the XC passenger seat much more comfortable. After this trip she is also interested in getting a sheepskin pad.

I can't remember for sure, but I think it was either from Sheepskin Headquarters LLC on Ebay or Alaska Leather (http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/the-Deluxe/Categories) .

Will probably be ordering another for the wife soon too.

Cheers,
Randy

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a sheep skin cover and it works well in the northeast humid summers. I haven't gone beyond a 450 mile day trip, but if you alternate it on and off it probably work the best.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I have a sheepskin seat pad that I bought for my previous VTX a couple years ago now, and had moved it over the XC over the winter. Not sure exactly why, but ended up not keeping it on and didn't take it on a just completed 3000 mile trip over 10 days from Dallas,TX to North Carolina then down to Destin, FL and back to Texas along a very southern route. Wish I had taken it, however. Ended up running several days in 95+ temps and I really felt it in the seat.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it would have made, but I think it would have helped. On the VTX it helped a lot in the colder months and we did a long trip in May with 105 degree temps in Arizona and New Mexico which I don't remember feeling the heat in the seat like on this last trip.

Wife had a Airhawk seat pad on the back on the VTX, but finds the XC passenger seat much more comfortable. After this trip she is also interested in getting a sheepskin pad.

I can't remember for sure, but I think it was either from Sheepskin Headquarters LLC on Ebay or Alaska Leather (http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/the-Deluxe/Categories) .

Will probably be ordering another for the wife soon too.

Cheers,
Randy
I'll take a look. I went through a half a bottle of baby powder trying to "not" get monkey butt. If I hadn't had the powder I'd be in trouble... Found that out the hard way on a trip through Nevada a couple years ago. I'm going to have to do something...this bike is hot.. we rode about 1300 miles this past weekend heat nearly 100* afternoons...! Thanks for the link

·
Registered
195 Posts
Got mine from Wild Things Fur in Rockton, Wi. (Google it). I rode the bikeup there and he made it in less than 20 minutes. He will ship too.

Now for being any better? It did help a little. VERY LITTLE. That's why I now have an Ultimate Seat to try when I get a chance. The Sheepskin will work on the new seat, so I may use it if need be.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Miles...just got home and will respond to the other thread (lowering) in a few.

I have had a sheep cover on my bike for about 5 months now...I put it on my bike MOSTLY to try and dissipate the HEAT. For the most part, it has done about as good a job as you could expect considering at this point there's not much else you can do...

It does offer some extra padding and I do BELIEVE it is COOLER than if you sat just on the seat.

Do I recommend them...YEP. I certainly don't see any negatives (unless it rains)...and even then you can just let it air dry.

I got mine from Alaska Leather and have had it for about 3 years...still looks great and is still in great shape.

Here is the website:
http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/StoreFront

OK...and here's the one I have on my bike:
http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/the-7/Sheepskin-Motorcycle-Seat-Cover,/Detail

But here is the one they recommend...mine fits fine though:
http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/the-9/Sheepskin-Motorcycle-Seat-Cover,/Detail

Either of these would work well.

Hope this helps.

Wally

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
I used the beads on my Goldwing and they help a lot with dissipating the heat. Of course it isn't the same heat (engine), just hot from riding in the hot weather. The beads do allow the air to flow in and around your butt and will keep you cooler. And, although they don't look comfortable, they really are. YMMV. :)

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Apparently its a crap shoot if a sheep skin is gonna do the trick - it didn't help me any. Worst day on a bike was the day I strapped a fitted sheep skin on and took off for a 500 mile romp. The pain was intense after only 200 miles. Same with beads. The only thing that does it for me is taking bike and me to a seat customizer and getting it tailored to my butt. Not the cheapest route, but the most satisfactory.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Wally

Miles...just got home and will respond to the other thread (lowering) in a few.

I have had a sheep cover on my bike for about 5 months now...I put it on my bike MOSTLY to try and dissipate the HEAT. For the most part, it has done about as good a job as you could expect considering at this point there's not much else you can do...

It does offer some extra padding and I do BELIEVE it is COOLER than if you sat just on the seat.

Do I recommend them...YEP. I certainly don't see any negatives (unless it rains)...and even then you can just let it air dry.

I got mine from Alaska Leather and have had it for about 3 years...still looks great and is still in great shape.

Here is the website:
http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/StoreFront

OK...and here's the one I have on my bike:
http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/the-7/Sheepskin-Motorcycle-Seat-Cover,/Detail

But here is the one they recommend...mine fits fine though:
http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/the-9/Sheepskin-Motorcycle-Seat-Cover,/Detail

Either of these would work well.

Hope this helps.

Wally
Looks like they help some but not others. The seat itself isn't as comfortable as the mustang on the VTX as there are some pressure points. I learned to use copious amounts of powder to keep my rear dryer plus on the Honda I could put my feet on the rear pegs and stand up to get that much needed 100* (cool??) air circulation. I'm going to go ahead and get the sheepskin. I think it cannot hurt. I talked to the Ultimate seat guy and he thinks the seat may hinder me as it sets higher in the front.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my initial thought

After having one on my Ninja 650R and now soon to be purchasing a XCT I feel they are a must and I am definitely going to get one for the XCT.

Here is the one I am planning on getting:

http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/the-43/Full-Pelt-Long-Hair/Detail

Probably in Red to match my Red XCT.
I was thinking about that one as well and although my wife doesn't ride with me every time she does like riding on this bike allot more than the VTX.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
beads

I used the beads on my Goldwing and they help a lot with dissipating the heat. Of course it isn't the same heat (engine), just hot from riding in the hot weather. The beads do allow the air to flow in and around your butt and will keep you cooler. And, although they don't look comfortable, they really are. YMMV. :)
I've seen the beads mainly on goldwings. I can see where they may allow more air in than the fur. I rode a couple goldwings and there is virtually no air movement in the drivers seat.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
custom seat

Apparently its a crap shoot if a sheep skin is gonna do the trick - it didn't help me any. Worst day on a bike was the day I strapped a fitted sheep skin on and took off for a 500 mile romp. The pain was intense after only 200 miles. Same with beads. The only thing that does it for me is taking bike and me to a seat customizer and getting it tailored to my butt. Not the cheapest route, but the most satisfactory.
I talked to the Ultimate seat guy. I'm short he says the seat may not be for me. They are supposed to be in Eureka Springs for the Valkerie rally in the end of July and again at BBBQ in FAyeteville so he says I can try the seat to see at those places. Who would you go with for your custom seat? I have a heated seat that is great when it gets cool. wouldn't need it most of the time for sure as I do ride allot more in the summer. I talked to some folks that did allot of VTX seats ( the name I cannot remember at the moment) but they will not touch a heated seat because of the way Victory makes them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use a sheepskin and it works for me. I bought it a IKEA for $40.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=sheepskin
I also use a wheelbarrel inner tube on my seat with just a little air in it and the center of the inner tube filled with foam under the sheepskin. Works great for use guys with long legs as I have a 36" inseam. I couldn't get 50 miles without getting off and getting the blood flowing in my legs but now I can go until I need more gas.

I also heard the Victory might be working on a solo seat for the cross country's. So before I spend the bucks I'm going to wait and see about the solo seat since I always ride solo

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
inner tube

I use a sheepskin and it works for me. I bought it a IKEA for $40.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=sheepskin
I also use a wheelbarrel inner tube on my seat with just a little air in it and the center of the inner tube filled with foam under the sheepskin. Works great for use guys with long legs as I have a 36" inseam. I couldn't get 50 miles without getting off and getting the blood flowing in my legs but now I can go until I need more gas.

I also heard the Victory might be working on a solo seat for the cross country's. So before I spend the bucks I'm going to wait and see about the solo seat since I always ride solo
Trying to picture the innertube. cannot get a clear picture in my mind. I'm short so it probably doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
13,190 Posts
Trying to picture the innertube. cannot get a clear picture in my mind. I'm short so it probably doesn't matter.
Probably works a lot like an Air Hawk Pad. Too bad IKEA does not mail those skins.

I'm gearing up to make and sell sheepskin, fleece, or even special order back rest covers for Vic's. I'll probably include seat covers at some point. Trying to get a vintage Singer machine up and running along with all the materials needed. Turning out to be a bigger project that I originally thought but I don't give up easily. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah, if your short the inner tube wouldn't work for you because you might not be able to touch the ground as it does raise you higher but for us long legged people it works great outside of spending hundreds for a new seat that may or may not work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts