Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the cross country and cross roads. They say they have the same suspension but obviously one has more electronics and a faring and the other only a windshield.

I heard the windshield won't help in early fall etc to protect from the cold whereas the faring will

Thanks
John

2007 kingpin

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
It's pretty much owner pref. The XC costs more with the full fairing and all the gadgets that come with it. The XR cost less, has less gadgets, and most likely won't cost additional $$ to cure wind management issues.

The majority of XC owners upgrade the windshield, add lowerfork mounted wind protection (lowers) or both. The majority of XR owners don't change anything and when they do it normally involves adding the lowers mentioned above.

A few people (myself included) bought the vinyl highway bar closeouts (elephant ears). These are quick to install and don't cost mush ($99.00). I haven't heard anything about anyone disliking them; most remove them over 60 degrees because they work too well. I live in Utah and rode my XR at least 1 day per week throughout the entire winter. My mid-height windshield and elephant ears worked well even with windchills close to zero degrees.

Winter riding has less to do with the bike than with the driver. If you tolerate cold well and dress right you can get away with riding year round as long as the roads are clear.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I agree with everything ammo_umb just said.

Also, for some (myself included), riding without a shield at all is a must, which automatically removes the XC off the list. Others would never ride without a shield/fairing, so to them the XR provides no real benefit.

If I had the financial means to afford having two bikes, I might have considered the XC and a Kingpin. But, since I can only have one bike, the XR provides the flexibility of riding into full breeze on shorter runs during hot summer days, as well as riding in cold weather, with the shield on.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Now that I have the mid-height windshield on my 2011 XR, I am very impressed with the protection. The shield is even wide enough to give you some hand protection, although you get more on the XC. Even with the short screen I had, I could ride comfortably in the upper 30s. With the mid shield and the lowers, I have gotten rid of any buffeting as well. Honestly, I don't think the XC would be much of an improvement if you are wearing winter gloves when it's really cold. Combine that with my heated grips, and my hands are toasty no matter the temperature.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Ammo, where did you get your "elephant ears"? What part number is it, and do you know if they are still available? Thanks, looking for a set for my 2010 XC thumb up

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Toejam,
The same item RonBou listed at Pure Polaris can be found in some dealerships. I got lucky and found them on the shelf. Note that they make these for forged highway bars or tubular highway bars; if you pick some up or order them make sure you get the ones for your bars.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Maybe when it turns cold, I'll want my windshield on. But, I just don't like them at all. granted I don't go tripping for 500 mile rides. It is nice to tuck under a shield if it is raining. But, for me, the best windshield is my visor on my 3/4 helmet.

What I need to figure out is the best way to carry/store my 3/4 helmet on my bike... **dont say get a truck :p

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Henry,
Bar end lock or mounting the tubular highway bar helmet lock to the bag protection bars are about your best options.

By the way, even 200-300 mile rides without the windshield wears on you. Why fight the wind when you don't have to!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Henry,
Bar end lock or mounting the tubular highway bar helmet lock to the bag protection bars are about your best options.
a lock on my guard rails is a great idea!
I was also trying to think of a way to carry the helmet, while riding. Either I decided to wear my half, or go no helmet in states that allow it. I know I know. But, as my dad always says, if your going to be stupid or have to be tough.

By the way, even 200-300 mile rides without the windshield wears on you. Why fight the wind when you don't have to!
My dad always makes this argument also. But, I never really mind the wind. I don't even notice it. But, I do notice the buffeting with the shield on. lower deflectors removed about 75% of the buffeting, but still enough there to annoy me. When I goes cold this winter, I have the highway bar shutouts ready. Now just have to find a jacket I like...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about????

This is great info so thanks again. What about all the electronics etc? As a newbie I have just started to relax enough to enjoy the ride and can't imagine adding a distraction such as a stereo to the mix. Is a stereo or the other electronics helpful, fun, needed?

John

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Toejam,
The same item RonBou listed at Pure Polaris can be found in some dealerships. I got lucky and found them on the shelf. Note that they make these for forged highway bars or tubular highway bars; if you pick some up or order them make sure you get the ones for your bars.
Can't seem to distinguish which parts #'s are are forged and which are for the round bars.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The $99 ones fit my forged bars.....

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Jonah5,
Having ridden first generation Yamaha Ventures for many decades, I too was concerned about the weather protection of the XR. The Ventures offered great shielding from the wind and rain and so does the XR's windscreen and lowers, it turns out. Even my hands are out of the wind and rain. I'm just as likely to do an over 400 mile day as I am an errand to the store. The XR offers the option of windscreen off or on, something the XC can't do. To me, the only differences between the two that would have one leaning toward the XC are the audio system and a larger passenger seat. I don't listen to tunes when riding and my 2010 XR has the larger passenger seat. As stated above, you'll need to buy a different windscreen for the XC if the buffeting bothers you. If you're going to buy a new XR, ask if they will include unlocking the speedo in the deal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rickz

Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I am going to switch my kingpin to a xr. I prefer to buy used Is there a way to let other people on this forum know I am interested in selling my kingpin nd buying a xr?

John

·
Registered
356 Posts
I like to be able to take the screen off too, and the bike does look really cool without it. That is, until I rode about 100 miles at 75 mph. Then my mind changed real quick and I put it back on :)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
You can post your KP in the classifieds; there is a section for bikes for sale. Go to the index and scroll down.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
I like to be able to take the screen off too, and the bike does look really cool without it. That is, until I rode about 100 miles at 75 mph. Then my mind changed real quick and I put it back on :)
I'm with you on that. After seven decades on this planet, I have had enough discomfort in my life and I no longer volunteer for more. cheers

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Sorry Toejam but I have no idea what P/N is which. The parts and accessories link on the polaris industries lists them; I'm on my phone so I can't look it up for you.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Kit - forged highway bar cover shows part numer P 2878108 on the label. Just in case it also shows 87275.

Stone's Big Boys Toys in Utah has 3 of them on their wall. There phone number is 801-782-6125.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts