Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on my last long ride that if I wind the bike out past 5000 rpm it wouldn't shift. The shifter moves up, but no pookie... still in the same gear. In normal riding you would never know, but it seems the shift ratchet just slips when you're honkin' on it.

I decided to replace the whole shifting system AND I picked up a 'shift kit' from Factory Pro that is supposed to improve shifting on these things.

The Victory parts, including a Cometic gasket for the primary cover cost $198.00
The Factory Pro parts were $119 + shipping, which seems like a lot for that little bit of sh!t... it better shift good!

All will get installed this weekend. The clutch has to come out to get to the little arm, spring and star. The ratchet can be done just by removing the primary cover. I could probably have just changed the ratchet and it would be fine again... but me being me... not gonna happen. I will post a report after it's done and I ride it some.

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
I noticed on my last long ride that if I wind the bike out past 5000 rpm it wouldn't shift. The shifter moves up, but no pookie... still in the same gear. In normal riding you would never know, but it seems the shift ratchet just slips when you're honkin' on it.

I decided to replace the whole shifting system AND I picked up a 'shift kit' from Factory Pro that is supposed to improve shifting on these things.

The Victory parts, including a Cometic gasket for the primary cover cost $198.00
The Factory Pro parts were $119 + shipping, which seems like a lot for that little bit of sh!t... it better shift good!

All will get installed this weekend. The clutch has to come out to get to the little arm, spring and star. The ratchet can be done just by removing the primary cover. I could probably have just changed the ratchet and it would be fine again... but me being me... not gonna happen. I will post a report after it's done and I ride it some.
So this is something that has recently developed, or you would've noticed it before, right? Is the oil approaching its end life?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Let us know how that works out HC. There is always room for us to learn.

·
13,188 Posts
Pretty lucky if it was a h-d all the gears would have to come out. Its the first part in and the spring does break and its the last thing out.
Good Shifting to You thumb up

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that I think about it... there were a couple of races where I couldn't get the bike to shift from 3rd to 4th... I blamed it on my crippled up leg/foot, but now I'm not so sure it wasn't the bike.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
interesting HC let me know how it goes thanks.
mu 2010 Vegas has shifting issues occasionally going into second and third if its not put in solid...a lazy shift and it'll jump out sometimes.
Combine that with a heavier than normal clutch and it can be a chore to ride at times.
I plan on keeping this bike and am slowly bringing the Torque and Power up, and I'd like to get the clutch and gears working as well as the rest of the bike works.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
interesting HC let me know how it goes thanks.
mu 2010 Vegas has shifting issues occasionally going into second and third if its not put in solid...a lazy shift and it'll jump out sometimes.
Combine that with a heavier than normal clutch and it can be a chore to ride at times.
I plan on keeping this bike and am slowly bringing the Torque and Power up, and I'd like to get the clutch and gears working as well as the rest of the bike works.
My clutch was a bear... a new clutch cable did wonders. It's still a 'man's clutch' with the stiff spring in there, but it's a lot better than it was.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Pardon the editorializing HC but you know how I get.

Anyway, this is a case of a motorcycle that, through many miles of use near, at or beyond the manufacturer limits appears to be revealing wear characteristics that otherwise would not be known. First I heard of it out of the little I know about Vic gearboxes so I'm thinking it's not a common issue or cause for concern. Maybe a fluke but it may be a harbinger of things to come for many Vics of a certain mileage or a certain number of shifts.

While some shake their righteous fingers when throttle jocks do what they do, it's the pushers that find out what happens to the machine at it's limits. That info helps everybody, even Ma Vic if she's willing to pay attention. If this is happening to HC at 80k maybe it's happening to Grandpa at 100 and Grandpa can use that info if he wants to.

Cool thread.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Hey Pop...like he sed, maybe just replacing the ratchet would make it all better. Those of us with a number plate could get by with just doing that simple repair. S'pose?

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyway, this is a case of a motorcycle that, through many miles of use near, at or beyond the manufacturer limits appears to be revealing wear characteristics that otherwise would not be known. While some shake their righteous fingers when throttle jocks do what they do, it's the pushers that find out what happens to the machine at it's limits. That info helps everybody, even Ma Vic if she's willing to pay attention.
KevinX offered a simple solution... put an oil drain plug crush washer between the E-clip on the shift shaft and the primary cover... this will take the slack side to side out of the assembly and hold the ratchet in proper alignment.

It appears this issue is nothing new. Kyle (KMC Powersports) told me his did the same thing not long ago. He'll be here this weekend so I'll ask if it's something he's commonly seen. Evidently, Kevin has a 'fix' for this as well (along with a new ratchet) meaning he's seen it before. I am probably replacing the arm/wheel, shifter star, and springs for nothing...

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Other bikes have had this problem too. I've experienced this on Jap bikes. It seems to be something engineers overlook at the drawing board stage of development.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Interesting stuff HC. Mine also hold a gear if I honk on it, usually second gear, actually need to back of fthe throttle some or double clutch to get it to shift.

I am on the schedule for Sunday, going to put the cats back in and make a pull. Maybe install my new clutch discs

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
Thanks a lot HC and the rest of you who chimed in. Up until now, I was convinced it was me being lazy on a few up-shifts, usually from 2nd to 3rd, right before the red line, just as HC described. The same thing happened to me, where you shift, brain says you've done the foot job right, but when you drop the clutch, surprise! You're still in the same gear. This only happened a few times, and until this thread, I was sold on the idea that it was all me. Now I'm not so convinced of my Vic's innocence. wac

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting stuff HC. Mine also hold a gear if I honk on it, usually second gear, actually need to back of fthe throttle some or double clutch to get it to shift.

I am on the schedule for Sunday, going to put the cats back in and make a pull. Maybe install my new clutch discs
I sent you a text earlier...

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Maybe some aftermarket company needs to come out with an improved ratchet wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks a lot HC and the rest of you who chimed in. Up until now, I was convinced it was me being lazy on a few up-shifts, usually from 2nd to 3rd, right before the red line, just as HC described. The same thing happened to me, where you shift, brain says you've done the foot job right, but when you drop the clutch, surprise! You're still in the same gear. This only happened a few times, and until this thread, I was sold on the idea that it was all me. Now I'm not so convinced of my Vic's innocence. wac
Pop the primary off and put that crush washer in there like Kev suggested. Probably fix it right up.

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
Pop the primary off and put that crush washer in there like Kev suggested. Probably fix it right up.
Doh! I just did an oil change 4 days ago... would've been a good time to do that. Sounds like a very simple fix. cheers

1 - 20 of 77 Posts