Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
another stupid ? from me. what do you guys use to lube
the heim joints on the shift linkage. i try to flush each one
and either use a spray oil that turns to grease or wd40.
just wondering what your favorite is or something better i
can use. thank you for any help!

update-- kinda funny. just looked in the general section and vj
had posted something on shift linkage at the same time.
linkage lube is important.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I use a lot of DuPonte teflon dry wax lube around the shop. The multi-use is great for most stuff (cables, hiem joints) and they changed their heavier bodied wax lube, now called Chain Saver that works in places you would use grease. There's also a thin TFE dry lube that works on everything-belts, guns, zippers, snow shovels/blowers, circular saw blades, etc. WD-40 is a great solvent, cleaner, water displacer- but not that great of a lubricant in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
WD-40 is a great solvent, cleaner, water displacer- but not that great of a lubricant in my opinion.
Definitely not a lubricant!

Honda Moly 60 is a good product.

As for the OP's question, I spray a bit of motorcycle chain lube onto the linkage.

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
I use an spray oil to clean the links, then i take vasaline as a grease when it is in sight and moly when out of site

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Er, um, could any of you folks post a pic or two -- maybe with added arrows, if anyone has time and feels creative -- regarding where to spray? I've never done any of this -- 29K miles on my XCT now -- with the exception of the kickstand.

·
13,177 Posts
vaseline is a great way to grease nonstress parts.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Lithium grease in an aerosol can with a straw type applicator to get it where the sun don't shine.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Castrol chain lube in a spray can with nozzle , cos I still got it left over from my chain drive bike days.
and yeah I squirt the pivot for the sidestand too, and the pivot points of brake lever.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Another chain lube guy here. Almost any lube is gonna be fine as long as you use it. That's the main reason I use it. Its on the shelf and handy.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Lithium grease in an aerosol can with a straw type applicator to get it where the sun don't shine.
That's what I do.... Never thought about chain wax though... Great idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts