Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
13,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out for ride the other day before rain and shifting seem real notchy and hard to find neutral. NO not the oil
So decided to pull shift linkage and grease it. Three tools one 10mm wrench one 5mm allen and a snap ring pliers.
Greased the shaft and both heim ball joints. Took a half hour todo.
After putting back together I readjusted the shift linkage.
Now it shifts better than new. I think the grease help but what really did it was the readjustment of the linkage.
I think it would help all of you if you look at yours

Attachments

·
13,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reading my owners book it says from floor board to center of shifter it should be 2 3/4 inches. So I used that as a starting point. I raised it a touch more to get my foot under it. Witchdoctor has a how to that might help you.

One big thing I did was taking the heim balls turned them sideways and greased them really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRc8Qu_CXUw

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
I was getting missed shifts until I did this....Lowered the shift peg so that when I slip my boot under it, almost all the slack it taken up. That results in less upward foot movement and no more missed shifts. Frequent applications of aerosol lithium grease on all pivot points and Heim joints helps too. I give the sidestand pivot a shot while I'm at it too.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
I was getting missed shifts until I did this....Lowered the shift peg so that when I slip my boot under it, almost all the slack it taken up. That results in less upward foot movement and no more missed shifts. Frequent applications of aerosol lithium grease on all pivot points and Heim joints helps too. I give the sidestand pivot a shot while I'm at it too.
Same here RICZ, I use spray Castrol chain lube, cos I still got a can and no chain to lube anymore.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
reading my owners book it says from floor board to center of shifter it should be 2 3/4 inches.
Regardless of that, what's more important is the positioning of the "dog" that goes onto the spline coming out of the engine. If this is angled too far forward or aft, then you'll have shifting problems. You adjust it's "angle" based on where you mate it up with the splines. That doesn't have a lot to do with the distance between the floorboard and the shifter .... that distance can be adjusted by lengthening or shortening the shifter rod.

VictoryShifterLinkage.jpg

·
13,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You right the shifter dog should point straight down.
I didn't say anything about that cause I though they all pointed straight down.
The front heim joint is left hand thread and the rear is right hand thread.
So if you have a hard time finding gears or neutral look at your linkage it might off

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You right the shifter dog should point straight down.
I didn't say anything about that cause I though they all pointed straight down.
The front heim joint is left hand thread and the rear is right hand thread.
So if you have a hard time finding gears or neutral look at your linkage it might off
If a person moves their floorboard from the middle position it may be necessary to fiddle with the position of the "dog" in order to get the correct adjustment on the shifter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts