Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just now up to 200 miles on my one week old 2011 Vegas Jackpot. Having owned 17 motorcycles since 1967 including 5 Harleys, I really like this cruiser, however, I notice the shifts between 1st and 2nd is rather "clunky". Will this smooth out as I add on the miles? Also, I notice the front sliders seem pretty stiff compared to my 2010 Harley Dyna Wide Glide. Will they loosen up with the miles? Thanks in advance for any feedback from forum members.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
When I first got my Cross Roads I had the same issue with "clunky" shifts between second and first. It was especially bad when shifting don to first when coming to a stop. This really disturbed me because prior to the Victory all I had owned were silky smooth Suzuki and Kawasaki sport bikes.

I talked to several people I know about it and they said it was fone and would smooth out some. The shift is still a bit clunky but It seems to have disapaited some. I recently road a vision with 46K on it and it was A LOT smoother.

Hope that helps some.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
My biggest clunk comes on the shift from 1st to 2nd and also from neutral to 1st. From 2nd down to 1st, it just clicks. I've come to embrace the clunk and I enjoy "hammering" it into gear. ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, that is helpful

When I first got my Cross Roads I had the same issue with "clunky" shifts between second and first. It was especially bad when shifting don to first when coming to a stop. This really disturbed me because prior to the Victory all I had owned were silky smooth Suzuki and Kawasaki sport bikes.

I talked to several people I know about it and they said it was fone and would smooth out some. The shift is still a bit clunky but It seems to have disapaited some. I recently road a vision with 46K on it and it was A LOT smoother.

Hope that helps some.
Thanks, Garion. Also, when the engine is running and I have the transmission in neutral with the clutch disengaged, either the clutch pack or the tranmission gear clusters tend to be noisy like a Ducati. Is this normal? Are there any additives to the oil that might smooth out or quite the transmisson?

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Honestly I have never heard the noise from the clutch that a lot of people talk about. I hear a lot of engine noise and just ignore it. I'm sure my bike has it too I just never really cared to investigate it that much.

If you searched cluth issues I'm sure you could find another thread where some peollle had taken the bike back to the dealer and there was ome fix that the dealer did. I cannot remember what it was, and it seems like the fix was a 2011 and up thing. Don't quote me on too much of this as I am just going off memory.

Worst case you should have that 100,000 mile warranty on it if you ever need to use it.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much

I wouldn't woory much about it until the bike is totally broken in. I bought mine in July of 2010 and just about a month ago actually got to start riding t so mine is not even totally broken in yet. I only have 4,500 miles on it but am working on getting some more. I think the more you break it in the smoother it should get for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My new 2011 vision makes all these noises but I just get on her after making sure that the oil is right and doing the walkaround crank her up and just go. cheers

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
The clunky shifting and clutch noise is normal for Victorys. Part of the price you pay for a bulletproof transmission.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Loud Clutches Save Lives

Coming from BMWs and Guzzis--both dry clutch operations--I was surprised at how clunky my new 08 Hammer S transmission is. It is getting much better (at 300 miles), and I can actually find Neutral one in five tries with the engine running. That's a 500% improvement over earlier in the week when I had to shut it down to locate Neutral. I've never used a Kill Switch so much in my life!

As a BMW pal (MSF Instructor too) says mockingly of the bumper sticker "Loud Pipes Save Lives": Loud Clutches Save Lives. Just think of all the lives you're saving in town every time you shift. :p

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As a BMW pal (MSF Instructor too) says mockingly of the bumper sticker "Loud Pipes Save Lives": Loud Clutches Save Lives. Just think of all the lives you're saving in town every time you shift. :p
Ha! Excellent! Here is a copy and paste of just one write up on the 2011 transmission that gave me the idea that buying my 2011 Jackpot would have these improvements (and perhaps it will after 5 or 6K):

2011 Victory Models
All Victory Motorcycles for 2011 will be taking power from its 106 cubic inch motor and running through a new six-speed transmission with overdrive.
According to Victory, "The Victory drivetrain team scrutinized every component of the engine and transmission and fine-tuned the designs and performance of numerous parts."
Not quite all-new, 40% of the 2011 transmission has been redone. Victory tells us that improved manufacturing efficiency and quality assurance have enhanced drivetrain reliability, improved rideability, and a resulted in a more appealing-sounding transmission.
Selected modulation frequencies have been eliminated, Victory says, reducing whine overall, with special attention give to 4th and 6th gears.
Driveline lash is said to be reduced by 66%, and it will now be easier to shift into neutral at a stop thanks to a "Neutral Assist" property.
Overall, Victory says the new transmission will reduce the rider's effort, reduce clutch wear, and will lessen the performance demands on the oil.
The new transmission also called for a re-design of the crankcase, thus the tranny cannot be retrofitted to pre-2011 models.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Ha! Excellent! Here is a copy and paste of just one write up on the 2011 transmission that gave me the idea that buying my 2011 Jackpot would have these improvements (and perhaps it will after 5 or 6K):

2011 Victory Models
All Victory Motorcycles for 2011 will be taking power from its 106 cubic inch motor and running through a new six-speed transmission with overdrive.
According to Victory, "The Victory drivetrain team scrutinized every component of the engine and transmission and fine-tuned the designs and performance of numerous parts."
Not quite all-new, 40% of the 2011 transmission has been redone. Victory tells us that improved manufacturing efficiency and quality assurance have enhanced drivetrain reliability, improved rideability, and a resulted in a more appealing-sounding transmission.
Selected modulation frequencies have been eliminated, Victory says, reducing whine overall, with special attention give to 4th and 6th gears.
Driveline lash is said to be reduced by 66%, and it will now be easier to shift into neutral at a stop thanks to a "Neutral Assist" property.
Overall, Victory says the new transmission will reduce the rider's effort, reduce clutch wear, and will lessen the performance demands on the oil.
The new transmission also called for a re-design of the crankcase, thus the tranny cannot be retrofitted to pre-2011 models.
The 2011 transmissions do have those improvements, and gear whine was one of the biggest complaints on the 2010s. 2011's also get longer service intervals between oil changes (from 2500mi to 5000mi). It clunks because it's built like a tank transmission - made to last 'till the end of the war, and then some. :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stopped by the dealership yesterday. Brought a printout of these posts into service writer. He brought out the technician that works on the Victorys and he listened to my bike in neutral while the clutch was disengaged and the engine idling. He agreed, clatter does not seem right. He then got on his computer to the factory Intranet to search for the fix mentioned in these posts. I'm waiting to hear from them. If anyone who had a fix done on their bike regarding the compensator and springs, please post a scan of the work order or post the part numbers...thanks in advance!
thumb up

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stopped by the dealership yesterday. Brought a printout of these posts into service writer. He brought out the technician that works on the Victorys and he listened to my bike in neutral while the clutch was disengaged and the engine idling. He agreed, clatter does not seem right. He then got on his computer to the factory Intranet to search for the fix mentioned in these posts. I'm waiting to hear from them. If anyone who had a fix done on their bike regarding the compensator and springs, please post a scan of the work order or post the part numbers...thanks in advance!
thumb up
I had the same fears myself so i did a little research and what i came across is that the primary has a spring loaded idler gear and that the clacking is the gear absorbing vibrations, ive heard the same noise in harleys as well bike running in neutral with clutch not engaged not as pronounced as ours but still there and the only thing i can think of is that ours is noiser because ours is a gear driven primary and harley is a chain driven primary. Im not a mc mechanic however ive been a mechanic for the past 12 years and without any formal mc training that is the best i can think of.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That sure makes sense and is very helpful. I did not know our primaries are gear driven. My dealer did contact Victory and they are sending them parts for a "fix". As soon as the parts arrive, they'll call me and I'll bring it in. Will post the results!
:cool:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I have to results after bringing it in for the rattling noise in neutral

looking foreward to the results hopefully its just a cosmetic noise and not something wrong in there.
I brought the bike into Mission Motorsports in Irvine, CA. It now has 3,357 miles on it and the rattle was still there. They have a technician there by the name of William Pendleton and he is their Victory guy as he has been working on them since the beginning. He is very thorough, detail oriented & does an excellent job. The work order describes the labor as "replace torque compensator" and the parts were #5813096 gasket kit, #5812232 copper washer and #2877474 5 qts Vic oil 20/40. They did say Victory sent them a "shim" but I don't see it under parts on the work order.

Upon riding it home (about 6 miles) I found the bike ran great (as usual) and when I'd stop at a light, I'd slip it into neutral and listen. Low and behold! No rattle! It worked! I then motored out through Live Oak Canyon and then over into Foothill Ranch to get it good and warm and when I stopped for gas, I let it idle in neutral next to the gas pump where I could really listen closely...still, no rattle. I was so delighted, I ripped out a letter to Victory in Medina, Iowa telling them how pleased I was with the service writers Nick & Michael and with technican William Pendelton at Mission Motorsports and with their fix-it kit. I sent a copy of the letter to the dealership as well.

Hope this helps you guys!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Good to hear you got it fixed, posted part numbers and thanked the people that made the fix possible.

Way too many people that have had this or other issues with their Victory have tried to make it a point to down the company. I understand their frustration but I don't understand why they think that the whole company is crap because their bike made noise and wasn't fixed on the first visit. To those people the company isn't crap andthe bikes don't suck. Your service may be crap and you experiance sucks but there is a fix and you need to push to get it done. Complaining will not fix the problem but training an experiance will.

Hopefully with you posting the info people will be able to get their fixes done faster and done correctly. The part numbers are awesome but the big plus is having a techs name that has successfully completed the repair. With this info people can tell their service folks who to contact if they have questions or to get tips.

The only problem I see is that this post isn't going to stick out and may get buried. If you have time I suggest making a new thread titled something like "Torque Compensator Repair Kit" and putting the part number and tech info at the top. This should make it easy to find with a search and should help a few people that are still trying to get their noise eliminated.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts