Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CCT is 2012 with 11,500 miles. Victory oil (kit) has 1000 miles on it. Ambient temps are 54f.

After the engine is has been freeway-running for 1/2 hr or so my shifting starts to degrade, namely the shifts get clunkier and my bike doesn't want to drop down into 1st gear. It will act as though it's bottomed out in N or 2nd and I have to give it a hard tap/kick down into 1st.

Clutch is adjusted properly.

I haven't owned this bike in hot weather and want to get on top of this before it comes.

Ideas?

Thx

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
How fast are you going when trying to get into first? I only shift into first once I am stopped so I am not sure if my XC does this or not.... When I stop I go from 2nd to neutral then once I see the light changing I pull the clutch and tap down to first.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How fast are you going when trying to get into first? I only shift into first once I am stopped so I am not sure if my XC does this or not.... When I stop I go from 2nd to neutral then once I see the light changing I pull the clutch and tap down to first.
I'd say maybe 5-10 or sometimes 15mph. MSF class guy insisted we be in 1st gear when we came to a stop.

Edjumacate me please

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i generally drop to first as im coming to a stop also

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
When coming to a stop, don't shift into 1st over10 mph. I find that most riders are afraid to rev their engines up to proper RPMs for running and shifting, thinking they are going to hurt their engine, but the opposite is true--not revving enough does harm to the engine. Do do not operate your bike under 2200 RPMs and upshift at 3K or above. You can not overrev your engine as there is an ignition cutout at about 5200 RPM. When working really trwisty roads, I'm at 3500 to 4500 RPM. Being at higher RPMs gives you much more throttle control and makes carving more enjoyable. For smoother and quieter shifts, preload the shifter. Also, adjust the shifter lower so that when your boot is under it, most of the slack is taken up.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When coming to a stop, don't shift into 1st over10 mph. I find that most riders are afraid to rev their engines up to proper RPMs for running and shifting, thinking they are going to hurt their engine, but the opposite is true--not revving enough does harm to the engine. Do do not operate your bike under 2200 RPMs and upshift at 3K or above. You can not overrev your engine as there is an ignition cutout at about 5200 RPM. When working really trwisty roads, I'm at 3500 to 4500 RPM. Being at higher RPMs gives you much more throttle control and makes carving more enjoyable. For smoother and quieter shifts, preload the shifter. Also, adjust the shifter lower so that when your boot is under it, and most of the slack is taken up.
Splain that plz?

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Preloading is applying upward pressure on the shifter (not enough to force a shift) so that when you pull the clutch lever, the shifter slides up into the next gear smoothly and much quieter than if you don't preload.
BTW, I am using Rotella T-6 and liking it very much. No shifting problems and it holds up beyond 7K miles per an oil analysis.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
It took me nearly a year of riding my XR to figure out what RICZ is talking about when it comes to engine revs. I was used to my last two smaller cc jap bikes that would be screaming at 3k-4k rpms but not the Vic. Once I learned to shift at higher rpms and to hold the bike in a lower gear (usually 3rd) while riding the twisties it became a whole different bike to me.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have been having the same problem for maybe a year, but it does not happen all the time. The way I can explain the problem is that it takes more force than usual to downshift from 3-2 and 2-1 and there is kind of a crunch feeling... like you stepped on an acorn on concrete. Only happens when the bike is at normal operating temperature.

I find that rev matching helps. That is when you pull the clutch and increase rpms to match what is needed in the next gear down for the speed you are going before changing gears. It doesn't always fix the problem 100% but it sure makes it better.

Here is the strange thing. Sometimes if I park the bike for 5 minutes (like to get gas or whatever) the problem goes away and may not come back for a few days. Sometimes it sticks around for a few days and then will disappear for a week. I cannot find any correlation to old or new oil, ambient temperature, type of riding, traffic conditions, or anything else except it does not have the problem when the bike and oil are cold.

This has been bugging me for a while now. If someone figure out how to fix this problem that would be awesome. Just an explanation of what’s happening would be great.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I rode my bike yesterday for the first time since December , it shifts like SILK !

·
Registered
659 Posts
If your Victory shifts like silk you have the only one on the planet like that.

Reactions: half_crazy

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Yup , I am . No complaints either . Don't confuse silky smooth with noise , as even though it shifts smoothly , the bullet proof Vic clank is still present , I would be worried if it wasn't .thumb upcheers

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
BeoBop....I know exactly what you are saying. I have the same scenarios and cant seem to pin point the cause. It's not that it's a real issue. Half the time I think it's me being a lazy operator. Lately though when doing some aggressive take-off and power shifting I find it slips going to 2nd at times. again could be my lazy foot but now it's got me really putting it thru some testing.

l Just did an oil change. After 6800 miles on the last 10/40 Amsoil. Hoping that will change things. Sometimes I think I should run the 20/50 stuff wondering if it's better for the tranny like so many have stated but I know it wouldn't be better for the motor.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
It took me nearly a year of riding my XR to figure out what RICZ is talking about when it comes to engine revs. I was used to my last two smaller cc jap bikes that would be screaming at 3k-4k rpms but not the Vic. Once I learned to shift at higher rpms and to hold the bike in a lower gear (usually 3rd) while riding the twisties it became a whole different bike to me.
Yep...this is spot on.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yup , I am . No complaints either . Don't confuse silky smooth with noise , as even though it shifts smoothly , the bullet proof Vic clank is still present , I would be worried if it wasn't .thumb upcheers
So you are saying it shifts smoothly like a tank??? Better explanation tho.

Mine shifts smooth sometimes (with characteristic clunk) and sometimes not so smooth.

Try rev matching. It will reduce that clunk big time.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I only get the pronounced clank , neutral to first . Other then this , pure SILK ! I am one with my steed , and know what it likes .:D

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've found that rev-matching to downshift on a Vic, while most of the time works fine, the engine tends to decide it wants to just quit. This happens mostly when downshifting into 3rd, 2nd, or 1st.

Therefore, I rarely ever rev-match to downshift into those gears and I never shift to 1st until I am almost at a full stop.

Dunno why the engineers haven't dealt with this but it's been an issue on my bike and many others since new and it happens very sporadically but not always. It's kinda like a woman ... you never know when she's gonna snap at ya! LOL

Having said all that, I never use the clutch to upshift once I'm into 2nd. Preload the shifter, quick snap of the throttle and into the next gear she goes ... no fuss, no muss, no clunk ....

Oh ... and I use Shell Rotella T6 oil. Never any issues.

·
13,262 Posts
Keep in mind you can only adjust your clutch when its over night cold.

Never warm or hot.

yes Kevinx and Rylan or Kyle can cause there pros and have the touch and feel for it

·
Registered
659 Posts
SilvrT... If your bike dies for any reason other than letting the clutch out to fast and accidentally stalling then there is something wrong. I have ridden 40-50 Vics and probably 200 different bikes total between dealer demos and Bikeweek demos. I have NEVER has a single one of them die for no reason. My first Vic sputtered and died twice in the first week of ownership, but not again in the next 25,000 miles. My second Vic has never just died... 28,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts